Shoutbox

Worthy WLM alternatives for Linux/Ubuntu? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Worthy WLM alternatives for Linux/Ubuntu? (/showthread.php?tid=89393)

Worthy WLM alternatives for Linux/Ubuntu? by W.A.C. on 02-26-2009 at 04:05 AM

As much as I hate the idea of no longer using WLM, I plan to make a switch to Ubuntu sometime over Spring Break. Unless there's a MOD out there that makes WLM work for Linux, I need to find a worthy alternative to WLM. Do any of you have any suggestions? I really like WLM features like the drawing ability and how you can send voice clips, as well as Messenger Plus features like tabbed IM windows and the ability to use things such as [i] tags. I'd hate to lose any of those features. :/ Well, I guess I could do without voice clips, but it's a nice feature I like none the less. So anyways, thanks in advance to anyone who tries to help me find a solution.

RE: Worthy WLM alternatives for Linux/Ubuntu? by tony on 02-26-2009 at 04:16 AM

aMSN?

RE: RE: Worthy WLM alternatives for Linux/Ubuntu? by W.A.C. on 02-26-2009 at 04:29 AM

quote:
Originally posted by tony
aMSN?

I don't think it has the drawing feature.
RE: Worthy WLM alternatives for Linux/Ubuntu? by Sypher on 02-26-2009 at 10:12 AM

emesene has a "messenger plus" plugin which emulates many features MP!L also adds. On top of that , the interface looks quite like the WLM one (8.x that is). [i] and such should work there.

Emesene supports tabs out of the box.

There are - as far as I know - no clients that support Voiceclips and/or Drawing.

RE: Worthy WLM alternatives for Linux/Ubuntu? by ShawnZ on 02-26-2009 at 10:18 AM

why would you switch to ubuntu if it doesn't do what you want? :p

RE: Worthy WLM alternatives for Linux/Ubuntu? by MuffinMan on 02-27-2009 at 04:51 AM

You can use Windows Live Messenger over WINE.

Heres a good tutorial:

http://www.wine-reviews.net/wine-reviews/microsof...nux-with-wine.html

Not sure how to get Messenger Plus! working though.

RE: RE: Worthy WLM alternatives for Linux/Ubuntu? by W.A.C. on 02-28-2009 at 06:06 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Sypher
emesene has a "messenger plus" plugin which emulates many features MP!L also adds. On top of that , the interface looks quite like the WLM one (8.x that is). [i] and such should work there.

Emesene supports tabs out of the box.

There are - as far as I know - no clients that support Voiceclips and/or Drawing.

Well, I just found out aMSN can view drawings, so that program probably allows people to send drawings.

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
why would you switch to ubuntu if it doesn't do what you want? :p

Ubuntu sounds so much nicer than Windows XP. I don't like the idea of sticking to an operating system I don't like just to be able to use one program I really like. I'll admit that I like WLM 8.5 a lot more than WLM 9 though.

quote:
Originally posted by MuffinMan
You can use Windows Live Messenger over WINE.

Heres a good tutorial:

http://www.wine-reviews.net/wine-reviews/microsof...nux-with-wine.html

Not sure how to get Messenger Plus! working though.

Oh, awesome. I just hope I can get Messenger Plus to work. There's no way I would stick to WLM without the tabs feature. >_>

quote:
Originally posted by nimicitor
Pidgin?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pidgin_(software)

I don't think Pidgen has the drawing feature or gives users the ability to chat through headsets. I hope I'm wrong though.
RE: Worthy WLM alternatives for Linux/Ubuntu? by ShawnZ on 02-28-2009 at 08:43 AM

quote:
Originally posted by W.A.C.
Ubuntu sounds so much nicer than Windows XP. I don't like the idea of sticking to an operating system I don't like just to be able to use one program I really like. I'll admit that I like WLM 8.5 a lot more than WLM 9 though.

well if you like WLM then you obviously have a very low standard of software :p
RE: RE: Worthy WLM alternatives for Linux/Ubuntu? by W.A.C. on 02-28-2009 at 07:24 PM

quote:
well if you like WLM then you obviously have a very low standard of software :p

Than what would you recommend?
RE: Worthy WLM alternatives for Linux/Ubuntu? by ShawnZ on 02-28-2009 at 10:46 PM

that you stay on windows :p

RE: Worthy WLM alternatives for Linux/Ubuntu? by W.A.C. on 03-01-2009 at 12:44 AM

...Huh? You told me I have low standards if I like WLM, so I asked what you recommend, and then you suggested I should stick with Windows? o_O I was wanting a suggestion or two for an alternative to WLM, not on my operating system.

RE: Worthy WLM alternatives for Linux/Ubuntu? by ShawnZ on 03-01-2009 at 01:04 AM

well, if you like software like WLM, then ubuntu isn't your kind of OS :p

RE: RE: Worthy WLM alternatives for Linux/Ubuntu? by W.A.C. on 03-06-2009 at 04:34 AM

quote:
well, if you like software like WLM, then ubuntu isn't your kind of OS :p

I'd rather have Ubuntu than to have WLM.