Shoutbox

laptops again - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: laptops again (/showthread.php?tid=89398)

laptops again by Jarrod on 02-26-2009 at 10:50 AM

now I know this forum is always being bombarded with laptop suggestions, and I've just spent 2 hours looking and haven't found something I want,
what are the suggestions for these requirements:
screen: => 12 <=13.5
cpu:=>1.4 duo
ram: =>2
optical drive:==False
wireless Ethernet:==True
no. of usb ports:=>1
price:<=$1200AUD

I have seen a few which I like but have optical drives and less ram, I really don't want an optical drive

RE: laptops again by lizard.boy on 02-26-2009 at 10:28 PM

I'm rather fond of my Lenovo notbook.
You could look at the ThinkPad SL300 which has a 13.3" but starts above your target price range.

One thing to consider when you buy a laptop, is that quite often it's cheaper to buy the machine with the minimum RAM and Hard Drive specs, and then upgrade it yourself when you get the machine home. Sometimes you can get the better hardware for less than the manufacture's price difference.

RE: laptops again by djdannyp on 02-26-2009 at 10:33 PM

Out of interest, howcome you don't want an optical drive?

That's what annoys me most about my netbook that it doesn't have an optical drive

RE: laptops again by lizard.boy on 02-26-2009 at 10:37 PM

I can see where he's coming from. I can hardly remember the last time I used my laptop optical drive away from my desk. If removing the drive makes the laptop smaller/lighter I'm all for it.

RE: laptops again by Jarrod on 03-02-2009 at 08:28 AM

quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp
Out of interest, howcome you don't want an optical drive?

That's what annoys me most about my netbook that it doesn't have an optical drive
my current notebook has no optical drive and is 3 centimeters high, an optical drive is the biggest waste of space, i'd much rather they do something useful with that space like a 3g modem:)
optical drives are big and redundant, i mean look at the macbook air thats engineering for you, i'd but one if they weren't so pricey.
i have an ide enclosure i can put an optical drive in, but i don't find myself using it, i either use iso files or share the cd in my desktop