Shoutbox

Avast! Home Free vs. ESET Smart Security - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Avast! Home Free vs. ESET Smart Security (/showthread.php?tid=89424)

Avast! Home Free vs. ESET Smart Security by limeares on 02-27-2009 at 05:34 PM

This is a poll. Sorry for double-post. :(

RE: Avast! Home Free vs. ESET Smart Security by Th3rmal on 02-27-2009 at 10:04 PM

Youve got one free edition option, and one fully paid option, is it just me, or is that kinda a poll thats already been answered?

RE: Avast! Home Free vs. ESET Smart Security by djdannyp on 02-27-2009 at 10:22 PM

You can't comapre free and paid software anyway, as paid for software will often come from companies who evidently have greater resources, thus more can be put into developing, etc.

Equally some free software offers a much more user friendly outlook and generally better software (case in point, norton vs avg!)

To properly compare like with like you have to compare free software with free software and paid software with paid software.

Then again it depends what you're after

RE: Avast! Home Free vs. ESET Smart Security by ipab on 02-27-2009 at 10:23 PM

I would definitely say that ESET is way better. I personally use Kaspersky because I like the interface, as far as effectiveness goes, both KAV and ESET at pretty much the same in detection rates.

One thing I do have to say is that people really are getting stingier as the days progress, I used to work as a tech and you would not believe the amount of people that would skimp out on an AV (and install AVG or just none at all) and then they end up bringing in their computers due to an infection and end up paying around double the amount of a year's worth of an AV license....

If you do the math, skimping out on an AV is quite silly. It costs about 17 cents per day for protecting your computer from infections that could easily cost you more than that to fix or worse lose time and data...

RE: Avast! Home Free vs. ESET Smart Security by Jarrod on 02-28-2009 at 05:46 AM

you could just use avast home and pay 0c a day. maybe it's because i'm not as n00b as the rest of the population, and have computer experience like everyone else on this forum, but i use avast and have never had problems, my only problems have been while i was running norton(years ago), now i don't even bother with a soft firewall, i have avast free and a router . i can't see myself paying for av software

RE: Avast! Home Free vs. ESET Smart Security by John Anderton on 02-28-2009 at 09:05 AM

ESET wins blindfolded with its hands tied behind its back :)
'nuff said ;)

RE: Avast! Home Free vs. ESET Smart Security by lizard.boy on 03-01-2009 at 07:35 PM

Never used ESET, so I can only vouch for Avast, and I find that it's boot time scan is incredibly useful.

But I'd definatly call this an Apples Vs Orange debate as one is a free AV and one is a paid security suite. Most people are usually attracted to the FREE price sticker anyways.

I don't actually use an Antivirus, it's just a personal preference. I like to live on the edge (h).