Shoutbox

Question about script update - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Thread: Question about script update (/showthread.php?tid=89496)

Question about script update by wincy on 03-04-2009 at 05:16 PM

Hello guys!

I have 2 questions about scripts' update through default Messenger Plus' Update process.

When a new version of my script is available, users are notified of it, but...

1) If they update the script, all files in script's folder are deleted or simply overwritten? (i mean, old version's files no longer used in the newest version still remain on computer?)

2) If i save settings using MsgPlus.ScriptRegPath, they will still be there when installing the new version? I'm using a registry entry to determine if script is installed. Now it's turned on "true", but if i update the script, will it still be true? In that way it skips the new version's installation functions..?

Thanks

RE: Question about script update by Matti on 03-04-2009 at 06:03 PM

1. Messenger Plus! Live will simply add the new files and overwrite the already existing ones. That means that any obsolete file will still be on the user's computer. You could however write a simple function to look for the old files and delete them when necessary.
  2. When you upgrade a script, Messenger Plus! Live won't touch the registry at all. That means any keys saved in a previous version will still remain when installing a new version.
Hopefully that helped you. :)
RE: Question about script update by wincy on 03-04-2009 at 06:26 PM

Sure, thank you!