Shoutbox

Sign-in problem, no error code. - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Sign-in problem, no error code. (/showthread.php?tid=89646)

Sign-in problem, no error code. by Nofew on 03-13-2009 at 11:53 AM

I can't sign into any account with the new messenger. Up until now I have been using 8.5 since 9.0 didn't work for me. Msn just sent me a toast saying I should update which worries me since I can't sign in. If Microsoft forces us to upgrade to 9.0 I won't be able to do much besides stare at two people spinning.

Whenever I try to sign into any of my accounts from any computer in my home the same thing always happens: I click sign in, the people spin and after about ten seconds they stop and it asks me for my email and password again. There is no error message, no hang, nothing. I know there's one other person with the same exact problem as me which makes me feel a bit better since somebody else here might have experience with this issue. I've tried signing into msn from comptuers running XP SP2, SP3, Vista SP0, SP1 and Win7. I have also tried signing into multiple accounts. No combination of the operating systems or seven+ accounts work and I'm pulling my hair out trying to fix this. I've completely disabled firewalls, freshly installed operating systems onto virtual PC's and had the hosts connect directly to the modem (bypassing the router) and searched many other forums but to no avail. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

RE: Sign-in problem, no error code. by Joshua on 03-13-2009 at 12:17 PM

Why don't you upgrade to 9.0? If you have upgraded, sorry then, because I don't really understand the first paragraph.

RE: Sign-in problem, no error code. by Nofew on 03-13-2009 at 12:27 PM

9.0 is what doesn't work for me. I have 8.5 now and 8.5 works great. I want to upgrade but the inability to sign into my account kind of defeats the purpose.

RE: Sign-in problem, no error code. by Joshua on 03-13-2009 at 12:34 PM

Repair Windows Live Messenger

1. In the notification area on the taskbar (near the clock), click the Messenger icon, and then click Exit.
2. On the taskbar, click Start, and then click Control Panel.
3. Double-click Add or Remove Programs.
4. Under Currently installed programs, click Windows Live Messenger, and then click Change.
5. Click Repair.

RE: Sign-in problem, no error code. by Nofew on 03-13-2009 at 12:39 PM

I've tried that already multiple times. As I said in my first post, it doesn't even work when I install a new operating system onto a virtual PC and install Messenger fresh from download.live.com. How would repairing it work if it doesn't work out of the box (so to speak) in the first place?

RE: Sign-in problem, no error code. by Moh on 03-13-2009 at 01:42 PM

Uninstall Windows Live Messenger through Add/Remove Programs. Run ZapMessenger to remove all Windows Live Messenger Traces and then delete the whole Windows Live folder from "C:\Program Files". Finally, install the latest Windows Live Messenger from here. Hopefully that helps.

RE: Sign-in problem, no error code. by Nofew on 03-13-2009 at 02:47 PM

Again, how would it help if Messenger was never installed in the first place? Do I need to provide better examples of what I'm doing, EG a live video over VNC?

RE: RE: Sign-in problem, no error code. by Moh on 03-13-2009 at 03:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Nofew
Again, how would it help if Messenger was never installed in the first place? Do I need to provide better examples of what I'm doing, EG a live video over VNC?
What do you mean by "never installed"? I thought you had a problem logging into Messenger.

EDIT: Sorry, didnt read the last part.
RE: Sign-in problem, no error code. by vaccination on 03-13-2009 at 03:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Moh Zayadi
quote:
What do you mean by "never installed"? I thought you had a problem logging into Messenger.
He's tried installing it on a clean OS, freshly installed, therefore there's no old versions hanging around to break a new install, so using Zap Messenger or any other rubbish isn't going to help...
RE: RE: Sign-in problem, no error code. by Nofew on 03-13-2009 at 03:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
quote:
quote:
He's tried installing it on a clean OS, freshly installed, therefore there's no old versions hanging around to break a new install, so using Zap Messenger or any other rubbish isn't going to help...

Finally, someone understands! Am I talking to the wrong people or am I saying things incorrectly? People seem to be having a hard time interpreting what I'm saying.
RE: Sign-in problem, no error code. by live9broken on 03-15-2009 at 06:13 PM

Hey Nofew, you're not alone in this ! I have this same problem with live 9 (v14.0.8064.206) where it will not connect and provides no errors, while live 8.1 works just fine.
I have been going back and forth with microsoft customer support via email but have yet to find a solution, even after providing the connectivity log file.

quote:
We appreciate your efforts in updating us with your issue. I checked the connectivity logs and I found out that it is corrupted.

It is possible that your Windows Live Messenger contains corrupted files which cause this effect.

What we need to do is to perform a clean installation to clear your corrupted files, clean your registry and renew your cache files.

I will post here if I ever find a solution !

BTW you OP was perfectly clear to me.....

RE: Sign-in problem, no error code. by Nofew on 03-15-2009 at 06:17 PM

Good to know I'm not alone! I'm amazed this bug managed to slip into 9.0, I really am. Don't you think they'd catch something like this after a year of betas? I even had the problem back then.

By the way, what's OP mean? <.<...

RE: Sign-in problem, no error code. by live9broken on 03-15-2009 at 06:22 PM

opening post or original post

I've been trolling around to see if there was an older build of v14 but haven't found anything from a trustworthy site as of yet.

RE: Sign-in problem, no error code. by Nofew on 03-15-2009 at 06:32 PM

Trust me finding an older version won't help. Ever since the betas first started I've had this bug, it's clearly an account error Microsoft is too lazy to fix. Maybe making a new account would help but I don't feel like re-adding fifty billion people

RE: RE: Sign-in problem, no error code. by Moh on 03-15-2009 at 06:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by live9broken
opening post or original post

I've been trolling around to see if there was an older build of v14 but haven't found anything from a trustworthy site as of yet.
http://www.filehippo.com/download_msn_messenger/

quote:
Trust me finding an older version won't help. Ever since the betas first started I've had this bug, it's clearly an account error Microsoft is too lazy to fix. Maybe making a new account would help but I don't feel like re-adding fifty billion people
Import your contacts?
RE: Sign-in problem, no error code. by Nofew on 03-15-2009 at 06:40 PM

quote:

Trust me they're so stupid they'll never figure out it's me -,- One person regularly calls me over Remote Assistance to reboot his computer because he's somehow gotten the idea that rebooting isn't the same as restarting. He still wonders why his computer turns off and on and why we get disconnected. Naturally, I get the blame. Tis the life of an under aged tech support dude. -,-

Thanks for the link but I can guarantee it won't work. I'll try anyway though. Maybe this one will bring up an error message somehow.

RE: Sign-in problem, no error code. by live9broken on 03-15-2009 at 07:17 PM

quote:
http://www.filehippo.com/download_msn_messenger/

don't think that will help.... that's just a file to initiate download of the actual software from microsoft's server. Near as I can tell, they will always point to the newest version.

RE: Sign-in problem, no error code. by Nofew on 03-15-2009 at 07:27 PM

Some are offline installers but that's true, the online installers always pull the newest version.

RE: Sign-in problem, no error code. by live9broken on 03-15-2009 at 07:38 PM

Ok, here's what I found. beta 2, build 8050, 8064 (current) all use this install method based on WLSETUP-CUSTOM.EXE. Original beta uses installer WLSETUP-WEB.EXE which installs the first beta.
After installation of this version, I am told that I cannot continue sign in without installing an update (downloads and updates installation to current version).
Back to square one.

RE: Sign-in problem, no error code. by Nofew on 03-15-2009 at 08:00 PM

Maybe we should drag a microsoft employee into a group chat and do an intervention on him/her. That should be fun. XD

RE: Sign-in problem, no error code. by live9broken on 03-15-2009 at 08:06 PM

lol, maybe. I'm not sure that my support emails aren't coming from some sort of 'help-bot' ! Maybe Bill Gates is a computer himself and Microsoft support centre is a server room deep underground....

BTW, created a new test account to sign in with... doesn't help.

RE: Sign-in problem, no error code. by lolouk on 03-18-2009 at 06:58 PM

Hi NoFew,

I have the exact same issue when upgrading to V9.
I have also tried to usual uninstall, clean reg, reinstall.

I can log in fine on any MS Live site, but it won't let me log in Msg 9 :(

If you find anything, can you post the solution here?

Thanks and good luck

RE: Sign-in problem, no error code. by lolouk on 03-18-2009 at 07:03 PM

FYI, we're not the only ones:
http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-48568-windows-...ener-won-t-sign-in
http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-72305-can-t-si...live-messenger-v-9
http://www.vistax64.com/live-messenger/216091-liv...ut-error-code.html

NoFew,
What security do you have on your PC?
I wonder if this isn't an issue with blocked port on router...

RE: Sign-in problem, no error code. by live9broken on 03-19-2009 at 12:23 AM

I am still working with microsoft on this issue; no solutions as of yet. After 3 emails with troubleshooting suggestions (normally takes 1-2 days to get a response) they have decided to send my issue to a 'higher level of support'. Near as I can tell, I've gone from 'customer support' to 'technical support'.

One thing maybe worth noting - if I attempt to sign in while already signed in to web messenger I am disconnected from the web messenger version with an error saying that I have signed in from a different computer, even though live 9 doesn't actually appear to connect.

RE: Sign-in problem, no error code. by Kitty_Kat on 03-21-2009 at 08:27 AM

I have also installed it on a clean system.. you cant get any much cleaner than a brand new hard drive... experiencing the same sign in problem...

RE: Sign-in problem, no error code. by rmilmine on 03-21-2009 at 07:55 PM

I fixed this problem by repairing the Windows Live Essentials that you should find in your installed software list in add/remove programs.

RE: Sign-in problem, no error code. by live9broken on 03-21-2009 at 11:10 PM

Didn't work for me. I also tried repairing the other two related programs (sign in assistant and upload tool) as well as the repair function within live messenger itself.

My latest microsoft fix was to run wlsnuke.exe (cleaning tool) and reinstall but that didn't help. I tried looking for info on this file but found nothing.

RE: Sign-in problem, no error code. by johnnydelta on 03-24-2009 at 11:31 PM

Same problem here too.. avoided using it when the beta came out cause this problem was there. Figured they'd fix it by the time it was mainstreamed. Too Bad They Didn't *sigh*

So lots of the Ten Second Spin of the Little blue people and back to Username and Password.

No Error Code.. though i did get a message once.. which said that Messenger has tried to log on many times and maybe something might be wrong with the firewall...  but firewall's not the issue here. Switched it off same thing.

Seem's someone on one of your listed links of "people with the same problem" suggested an alternative fix to the problem by creating a new live account and logging in from there. Apparently it worked for him in which case the problem isn't software or hardware on the consumer side but on the "bureaucratic corporate" side...

Stupid Globalization. I miss the good old days of few friends within a reasonable distance.

RE: Sign-in problem, no error code. by wys1wyg on 03-31-2009 at 07:08 PM

This may interest you guys:

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/e...0-8d9c440322e7&p=1

It didn't work for me, but maybe it's worth trying?

RE: Sign-in problem, no error code. by Stewie on 04-02-2009 at 02:40 AM

Has anyone found a solution to this problem? I had it during the beta, so I uninstalled it and went back to 8.5 but I was hoping I would be able to get a working product now, so I downloaded it and it still doesn't work... :\

EDIT: If it's helpful to anyone, I tried the Repair feature for the Windows Live and it says that it was unable to repair Messenger. O_O
EDIT2: After 6 Windows Updates I got the Messenger component to "Repair" but the problem still exists.

RE: Sign-in problem, no error code. by live9broken on 04-30-2009 at 04:27 AM

I am still working with Microsoft technical support on this issue and have not yet solved it.
A suggested workaround from Microsoft:
Locate file wlcomm.exe. Should be in program files/windows live/contacts (for me it was in program files (x86) ). Right click and select properties. Under compatibility tab, select 'run in compatibility mode' and choose windows 95. Also, select 'disable visual themes'. Run wlm 9. For ME, it sort of worked. I can now successfully sign in, only to have it crash almost immediately, again with no error code. Just shuts down.

NOTE: I am no longer able to repeat the original symptom of return to sign in screen. I have returned changed setting to default, uninstalled/reinstalled, uninstalled, install 8.5, uninstall 8.5, run WLS Nuke program, reinstall wlm 9. I seem to have the new symptom permanently.

Might be worth trying one setting change at a time.

Please let me know how this works for you !

RE: Sign-in problem, no error code. by live9broken on 05-27-2009 at 02:37 PM

SOLVED - For me anyhow... Uninstalled nVidia Network Manager. It was forcing msn to disconnect.

PLEASE post back if it helps, or if you found other solutions.

Thanks !