Shoutbox

Bug in WLM 2009 PhotoSharing - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Bug in WLM 2009 PhotoSharing (/showthread.php?tid=89714)

Bug in WLM 2009 PhotoSharing by kabso 5 on 03-17-2009 at 01:33 PM

hi

i find something really buggy in WLM 2009

and that's when i send a photo to some one who has got WLM 2009 to

it automatically opens the photo-sharing.. and if he accept the photo or he wants to save it into his pc   i cant see that  and i cant cancel that..

the port remains open i guess some hacker can hack into it..

but that's not the point

the point is  i cant cancel the photo or close it   

or close the photo-sharing Future

we want this bug to be fixed :)

RE: Bug in WLM 2009 PhotoSharing by blessedguy on 03-17-2009 at 05:26 PM

It isn't a bug =P
Photoshare is meant to share, so if you want to send them the old way, just use Files > Send single file...

RE: Bug in WLM 2009 PhotoSharing by kabso 5 on 03-17-2009 at 10:39 PM

i see..

but why the photo-sharing is the Default Choice if we paste a picture

it will automatically open the photo-sharing 

i want to disable this future to make it easy to share with other people who got low Internet connection

because in this way the picture will automatically go to the temp and then he can accept it  but still i cant see if he did or not.. that's annoying

i hope in the future the will fix it.. most of us don't want the photo-sharing is the Default future to send a photo the fast way

can plus fix this ?

RE: RE: Bug in WLM 2009 PhotoSharing by djdannyp on 03-17-2009 at 10:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by kabso 5
i see..

but why the photo-sharing is the Default Choice if we paste a picture

it will automatically open the photo-sharing 

i want to disable this future to make it easy to share with other people who got low Internet connection

because in this way the picture will automatically go to the temp and then he can accept it  but still i cant see if he did or not.. that's annoying

i hope in the future the will fix it.. most of us don't want the photo-sharing is the Default future to send a photo the fast way

can plus fix this ?

The next version of Messenger Plus! Live is set to include an option to turn off photo-sharing for images pasted into conversations.

In the mean time you can still send pictures the old way, just click "files" then "send a file or photo" and you can send it normally

photosharing only activates when you drop or paste a picture into conversation

it's nothing to be fixed though and it's certainly not a bug, it's intended behaviour
RE: Bug in WLM 2009 PhotoSharing by CookieRevised on 03-17-2009 at 11:25 PM

quote:
There is no difference in bandwidth usage between photosharing and regular file sending.

Also note that you can disable the automatic acceptance of photo-sharing:
Go to the Messenger options panel (menu Extra > Options) then Messages > Automatically accept invites for photo-sharing.
RE: Bug in WLM 2009 PhotoSharing by Mike on 03-17-2009 at 11:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
There is no difference in bandwidth usage between photosharing and regular file sending.
Actually, photosharing (probably) uses much less bandwidth compared to sending the picture via the traditional way because of the very low quality and resolution used :P
However, if the other contact decides to save a picture, that's another thing...
RE: RE: Bug in WLM 2009 PhotoSharing by CookieRevised on 03-17-2009 at 11:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mike
quote:
Actually, photosharing (probably) uses much less bandwidth compared to sending the picture via the traditional way because of the very low quality and resolution used :P
However, if the other contact decides to save a picture, that's another thing...
It actually depends on how you look at it and use it.

If it is just for previewing a whole bunch of pics then absolutely yes, it uses even less bandwidth because only a small resolution file will be send each time (not tested though, so at least I hope it only sends a small preview instead of the whole file).

But if you look at it from the POV of real photo sharing (aka sending the original resolution), then it actually uses a bit more since the preview (which needs to be send too of course) is bigger than the preview of the regular file sending.

RE: Bug in WLM 2009 PhotoSharing by kabso 5 on 03-18-2009 at 02:10 AM

But if you look at it from the POV of real photo sharing (aka sending the original resolution), then it actually uses a bit more since the preview (which needs to be send too of course) is bigger than the preview of the regular file sending.

---

that's what i meant.

---

The next version of Messenger Plus! Live is set to include an option to turn off photo-sharing for images pasted into conversations.

i hope the Drag and drop will work into it as well because sometime we use it to recover the speed of sending one or more pic in a time

--

well i guess its a bug because i accidentally drop a private picture by mistake.. and i cant cancel it and  i cant make sure that the other user that i accidentally drop the photo into his Conversation got this pic or not..

before opening the photo-sharing a pop up message should come. are you sure that you want to share this pic with this contact.

the MSN TEAM should work on this one. for having a privacy

or what do you think

and sorry for my bad english..^_^

RE: Bug in WLM 2009 PhotoSharing by CookieRevised on 03-18-2009 at 08:01 AM

Simply press the X in the right upper corner to stop photosharing. The other party wont be able to save the picture either if you cancelled the sharing (they just will see the preview).

quote:

or what do you think

As for privacy, yes it can be an invasion of privacy if you accidently dropped a photo of you naked onto a conversation window. But the chance of accidently dropping a photo is slim IMHO and isn't really an issue of WLM. If you think you might accidently drop a photo on the wrong conversation, then simply close the other conversation first or use the menu to select (multiple) photos. I mean, it is not like you can not prevent this stuff from happening.
RE: RE: Bug in WLM 2009 PhotoSharing by djdannyp on 03-18-2009 at 08:43 AM

quote:
Simply press the X in the right upper corner to stop photosharing. The other party wont be able to save the picture either if you cancelled the sharing (they just will see the preview).

quote:

or what do you think

As for privacy, yes it can be an invasion of privacy if you accidently dropped a photo of you naked onto a conversation window. But the chance of accidently dropping a photo is slim IMHO and isn't really an issue of WLM. If you think you might accidently drop a photo on the wrong conversation, then simply close the other conversation first or use the menu to select (multiple) photos. I mean, it is not like you can not prevent this stuff from happening.

Correct, the privacy is no more an issue with this than with being able to send IMs.....dragging a photo into the wrong conversation is the same as typing and sending to the wrong conversation.....we've all done it and it's largely no harm done!
RE: Bug in WLM 2009 PhotoSharing by kabso 5 on 03-18-2009 at 11:42 AM

lol

quote:
Simply press the X in the right upper corner to stop photosharing.

i tried it before i post this thread..

it didn't prevent the other user from saving it

it just close my photo-sharing not his. he can still save it :(

--

at least in the old messenger if i drop a photo accidentally it will be so small in the conversation

but in this WLM2009  if i drop it accidentally the other user can find it in the TEMP in MessengerCache :S

i still think the MSN Team should work in this thing "Photo-Sharing"

RE: Bug in WLM 2009 PhotoSharing by CookieRevised on 03-19-2009 at 09:51 PM

quote:
i tried it before i post this thread..

it didn't prevent the other user from saving it

it just close my photo-sharing not his. he can still save it :(
Incorect. Yes their photosharing window will not close but it really does prevent your contact from saving the image; the disk icon you'll see when you hoover over the preview will be disabled and the right click menu will be disabled thus the contact will not be able to save the image!

quote:
at least in the old messenger if i drop a photo accidentally it will be so small in the conversation

but in this WLM2009  if i drop it accidentally the other user can find it in the TEMP in MessengerCache :S
The only thing the user will find in the MessengerCache are the two preview images (the larger one used in the preview window and the small one used in the list window), the original image isn't saved in the MessengerCache.

But again, if you think there is a chance of accidently dropping a photo on the wrong conversation, then simply don't use drag and drop (or pay closer attention). There are other ways to send and share photos (eg: via the menu, etc).
RE: Bug in WLM 2009 PhotoSharing by kabso 5 on 03-19-2009 at 10:27 PM

yeah  but he will see the low resolution one right 

i got a pic with 8mp Camera  he can see it clearly without accepting it lol

========

BTW
------------------------
Incorrect. Yes their photo sharing window will not close but it really does prevent your contact from saving the image; the disk icon you'll see when you hoover over the preview will be disabled and the right click menu will be disabled thus the contact will not be able to save the image!

did you try it?  because i did  if he closed the photo sharing i can still  save it

if he goes offline i cant save it i can only see it through the photo sharing UI

will i try it again its true i cant save it

but i was sure before i can  thats why i complaint at the first place.. i guess it was a bug also..

but he can still Print Screen it.. i really suggest a pop up message that say are u sure to share photo with this contact or else..=)
RE: Bug in WLM 2009 PhotoSharing by blessedguy on 03-19-2009 at 11:25 PM

quote:

but i was sure before i can  thats why i complaint at the first place.. i guess it was a bug also..

but he can still Print Screen it.. i really suggest a pop up message that say are u sure to share photo with this contact or else..=)
You can save it, and it's not a bug =P
Ok, its pretty bad that even when you close photosharing the other still is able to save the pic, but if they called it a feature...
You just need to appear offline then the other one won't be able to save it =)
RE: RE: Bug in WLM 2009 PhotoSharing by djdannyp on 03-19-2009 at 11:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blessedguy
quote:

You can save it, and it's not a bug =P
Ok, its pretty bad that even when you close photosharing the other still is able to save the pic, but if they called it a feature...
You just need to appear offline then the other one won't be able to save it =)

It's not a feature that you can save once photosharing has closed....it's not possible, as Cookie stated
RE: Bug in WLM 2009 PhotoSharing by kabso 5 on 03-19-2009 at 11:37 PM

i just tried it now  my friend closed the photo sharing and i cant save it..

but before i can save it  i am pretty sure that i can because i did and i showed my friend..

does your friend closed the photo-sharing and you can still save it blessedguy?

i hope that there is an option for the user that  we can close the photosharing or open it

:)