Shoutbox

Plus is installer for adware? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: Plus is installer for adware? (/showthread.php?tid=89737)

Plus is installer for adware? by Fenume on 03-18-2009 at 09:59 AM

I'm doing some system cleaning on a forum with some help. We're using Hijackthis and other scary tools so I believe my helper knows what he is doing.

This is what he said:

quote:
Messenger Plus IS the installer for Lop adware, and although some people get lucky and opt out of that "sponsor" they still have an adware vendor on their computer, and that has unseen communications with it's servers. Not a good thing to keep.

I read this.
I have never installed the sponsor thingy so I don't like the fact that I still have some adware stuff going on because of Plus!.
RE: Plus is installer for adware? by prashker on 03-18-2009 at 10:01 AM

It's optional as you know, nothing Adware-y is installed if you don't install the sponsor :p. If you can't live with the fact that that is the truth then just don't use MP!L

RE: Plus is installer for adware? by Menthix on 03-18-2009 at 12:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Fenume
I have never installed the sponsor thingy so
In that case you never had any Lop adware on your system, neither any "unseen communications with it's servers".

If he says we're lying, let him prove the unseen communications with the Lop servers when the sponsor is never installed. It isn't hard to capture all incoming and outgoing internet traffic, so showing some prove shouldn't be too hard for him :).
RE: Plus is installer for adware? by CookieRevised on 03-19-2009 at 07:32 PM

quote:
...We're using Hijackthis and other scary tools so I believe my helper knows what he is doing.
I hate to say it but apparently he doesn't know what he is doing (in regards to Plus! and/or C2Media's sponsor program) if he says:

quote:
Messenger Plus IS the installer for Lop adware, and although some people get lucky and opt out of that "sponsor" they still have an adware vendor on their computer, and that has unseen communications with it's servers. Not a good thing to keep.
Let's brake that down:
"Messenger Plus IS the installer for Lop adware"

This is already not entirly correct. Messenger Plus! is not the only program which could be (note: "could" and not "is") responsible for the C2Media adware being installed on your computer.

"although some people get lucky and opt out of that "sponsor" they still have an adware vendor on their computer"

Entirly incorrect!! It isn't a matter of being lucky or not. There was never any version (including beta versions) where the user opted out of the optional sponsor program and where the sponsor was still installed. Also, in all the versions, there was _always_ a screen where the user was able to opt out of the sponsor. There was _never_ a version where the sponsor would be automatically installed without the user being able to opt out,  ... never! Nor was there ever a bug in that (simple) installation process which might install the sponsor even if the user has opted out.

----------

So, he clearly does not know what the real deal is with Messenger Plus! and its optional sponsor. And clearly his information comes only from hearsay and not from actual facts.

Facts:

- LOP doesn't exist anymore (since a very very very long time). The name of the company is C2Media.

- The sponsor program of Messenger Plus! can always be uninstalled by going to Add/Remove programs if the setup and uninstaller wasn't damaged by some 3rd party tool which attempted to remove the sponsor or Plus!, and if you follow the given instructions.

This is the most common reason why people say the sponsor can't be uninstalled: they used a 3rd party tool which actually did far more damage than solving anything, instead of simply going to Add/Remove programs and using the official uninstaller.

Although the only thing they need to do is simply launching the uninstaller, I don't know of _any_ anti-adware/spywre tool which is capable of properly uninstalling the sponsor. The reason is simple: they all try to forcefully remove it and in the process they actually damage it and/or even leave stuff behind.

- Messenger Plus! is not the only program which might install an adware sponsor program. So, if there is still some adware left on your hard disk after removing Messenger Plus! (provided its setup wasn't damaged, see above), than the adware did not come from Messenger Plus!'s sponsor program. People often forget this fact.

- Messenger Plus! will always show a screen to the user to opt out of the optional sponsor program.

- The sponsor program of Messenger Plus! will never be installed without the explicit confirmation of the user.

;)
RE: Plus is installer for adware? by ShawnZ on 03-19-2009 at 07:57 PM

"straight dope" version of cookierevised's post:

the installer bundles lop, but it lets you choose whether to install it or not. if you choose to install it, it extracts a seperate (invisible) installer for lop and runs it. if you choose not to, then it doesn't. most people do unknowingly choose to install it, but thankfully the uninstaller (add/remove programs> messenger plus! live> uninstall sponsor only) *does* remove it cleanly.

RE: Plus is installer for adware? by Fredrika on 03-20-2009 at 09:48 AM

Of course it's an installer for malware.
It is a disgrace, many many threads have been started on many help forums, all are disgusted at the way this 'virus' works.
Why anyone would even think of purchasing anything from those companies that are involved in this sort of advertising is beyond me.
If I see a pop up i take down the company name and exit the browser.
I then refuse to use that company, another potential customer gone.
Patchou and all the others involved in this scam know very well that the type of people that will install this drivel are kids that don't read things like 'do you agree to install the sponsor'.
If you were people with morals you would have the option to install the sponsor unchecked, then kids that don't read the small print would not inadvertantly install it.
Please tell me of anyone that you know that would knowingly install something that is going to annoy the hell out of them.

RE: RE: Plus is installer for adware? by djdannyp on 03-20-2009 at 10:07 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Fredrika
Of course it's an installer for malware.
It is a disgrace, many many threads have been started on many help forums, all are disgusted at the way this 'virus' works.
Why anyone would even think of purchasing anything from those companies that are involved in this sort of advertising is beyond me.
Patchou and all the others involved in this scam know very well that the type of people that will install this drivel are kids that don't read things like 'do you agree to install the sponsor'.
If you were people with morals you would have the option to install the sponsor unchecked, then kids that don't read the small print would not inadvertantly install it.
Please tell me of anyone that you know that would knowingly install something that is going to annoy the hell out of them.

Please get your facts straight before posting.

It is not malware, it is optional ad-ware that is not harmful and is certainly not a virus.

Even if it is accidentally installed, it is easily removed and won't do any harm to the computer
RE: Plus is installer for adware? by Menthix on 03-20-2009 at 11:19 AM

quote:
if you were people with morals you would have the option to install the sponsor unchecked
Which it is and always has been. Run the installer again and show us how the sponsor is checked by default.
RE: Plus is installer for adware? by ShawnZ on 03-20-2009 at 11:50 AM

quote:

it's actually not checked by default, but thanks for trying :p
RE: Plus is installer for adware? by Fenume on 03-21-2009 at 08:12 PM

Okies.
Nothing really bad then, ne?
I suppose I continue using Plus! then. :)

RE: Plus is installer for adware? by robert_dll on 03-21-2009 at 09:39 PM

quote:
Okies.
I have been using Plus! for years and trust me when I say it is not harmful, and I'm not related in any way with Patchou or any of the beta testers.
RE: RE: Plus is installer for adware? by Moh on 03-21-2009 at 09:55 PM

quote:
Okies.
Not one bit. Those millions of users wouldnt have used it, Dont you think so?
quote:
Originally posted by robert_dll
I have been using Plus! for years and trust me when I say it is not harmful, and I'm not related in any way with Patchou or any of the beta testers.
Same here, just dont install the sponsor so as to avoid ad pop-ups.
RE: Plus is installer for adware? by Fredrika on 03-22-2009 at 06:13 PM

Ok djdanny, lets go for your

quote:
It is not malware, it is optional ad-ware that is not harmful and is certainly not a virus.
You can call it what you will, it is agressive advertising, i have been on a computer after this was installed and every 30 seconds or so, up pops an advert.
I have tried to get rid of it with no luck, yes someone may have tried to uninstall it using malware remover, apparently this damages the uninstall package and can make it impossible to remove without reinstalling it, then removing it 'properly'.
How handy that is, i'm sure that the folk that wrote this 'clever' little programme could have prevented this damage if they wished. Also, do you not see that most people see this as malware? that is obvious as most people use a malware remover to attempt to get rid of it.
As i mentioned, i am not the only one, many many people are very angry with what has happened.
I'm no expert but i am pretty savvy when it comes to computers, if i have had such trouble then imagine the problems a newbie must have.
I have read the instructions from Patchou, i shall give it a try and let you know how it went, either way, my point from my last post
quote:
still stands, im amazed anyone that wishes their programme to be seen as legit would stoop to these levels.

Menthix, i shall take a look, if i am wrong then i stand corrected, i would normally apologise but i still think this is very wrong, i asked who in their right mind would install something on purpose that would annoy the hell out of them. You and i know the answer, noone!! So those that have written this software are hoping that people will unwittingly install the advertising software along with it. Very underhand IMHO.

RE: Plus is installer for adware? by MeEtc on 03-22-2009 at 06:25 PM

Well alright, you say you don't like the advertisements. If you would like to see the adware bundled with Plus disappear permanently, can you suggest another way in which the developer can make revenue from his efforts?

Nothing will change if you continue with the complaints and empty accusations. If you want things to be different, can you suggest something better?

RE: Plus is installer for adware? by Fredrika on 03-28-2009 at 10:32 AM

quote:
If you want things to be different, can you suggest something better?
No i can't, that has nothing to do with it.
I do know that many many people are not using this BECAUSE of the ad ware. They see it as a type of malware which has infected their computer.
Not a good advert in my opinion.

I ask for the third time, who would knowingly want something as annoying as this on their computer?
If the answer is 'noone in their right mind' then the developers can only rely on people unwittingly installing it.
As you are no doubt an avid user of this, i hope you are helping the developers by allowing the pop ups every 30 seconds?
RE: Plus is installer for adware? by djdannyp on 03-28-2009 at 10:39 AM

quote:
No i can't, that has nothing to do with it.
I do know that many many people are not using this BECAUSE of the ad ware. They see it as a type of malware which has infected their computer.
Not a good advert in my opinion.

well, two years ago there were 20 million active users of Plus! with around 500,000 new installs each day, and IIRC over 50 million downloads.  I'm almost certain that this number will have increased in the past two years with the advent of skinning.

So maybe one or two are put off because they are badly informed about "malware" "infecting" their systems....but it is them who is missing out as there is nothing 'infectious' about Plus, even WITH the sponsor installed.....not to mention as stated a million times that it is completely optional and easily removable if it is installed by accident
RE: Plus is installer for adware? by Jesus on 03-28-2009 at 12:18 PM

quote:
I ask for the third time, who would knowingly want something as annoying as this on their computer?
I would. It helps support Patchou in developing and maintaining a piece of software I use daily. I see it as a way to do something for him in return.
Not that I keep it installed all the time though, but from time to time I install the sponsor, click some of the ads, and uninstall it afterwards.
As stated many times before, it's easy to remove if you do it in the right way. I never had problems uninstalling it.