Shoutbox

Video carousel hiding - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Thread: Video carousel hiding (/showthread.php?tid=89749)

Video carousel hiding by ikkibu on 03-19-2009 at 12:29 AM

I searched first and didn't find a thread like this, so if there is a thread on here about it then please post a link.

I not very fond of seeing the Video Carousel or ads at the bottom of the contact list.  I rather like for the Video Carousel/ads at the bottom of the contact list to be hidden as to allow for more room to display contacts in the contact list.  I used to have Messenger Discovery Live installed along side of Messenger Plus! Live for the sole purpose of hiding the Video Carousel/ads at the bottom of the contact list, but it seems as though Messenger Discovery isn't working with the current version of Windows Live Messenger.  I'm not sure if it's that it really isn't compatble with the current version or if it's just my computer, but I know it's components don't have any effect on my WLM installation anymore (and I'm more fond of Messenger Plus! anyways).  I was wondering if there are any script(s) made, or if not then if it's possible for someone to make script(s), to hide the video carousel/ads at the bottom of the contact list.  Are there any of said script(s) out there, or, if not, then would it be possible to make said script(s).

I know that the Video Carousel/ads at the bottom of the contact list is how companies make money and such, but I know it's possible to hide them.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it possible to hide them with skins before, and, if so, then can scripts do the job just as well?  I'm not sure.  My memory of this is a bit foggy.  I don't want to have to install a skin to get rid of them for a am growing rather fond of the default skin WLM installs with.  So are there any script(s), or can some be made to hide the Video Carousel/ads at the bottom of the contact list?

Oh, and I've looked in the options and I can't seem to locate the option to disable the Video Carousel.  It seems to be missing.  Although that still leaves the problem of the ads being in it's place.

Thanks in advance for your help. :)

RE: Video carousel hiding by djdannyp on 03-19-2009 at 12:36 AM

It's not possible via scripting.

You could however make a skin that does little more than hide the adverts section.  It wouldn't have to change the appearance in any other way

RE: Video carousel hiding by ikkibu on 03-19-2009 at 12:44 AM

Alrighty then.  Thank you for clearing that up for me. :)
I guess I'll work to make a skin when I get around to it.  It shouldn't be that hard. :)

RE: Video carousel hiding by scott2010_h on 03-19-2009 at 07:57 AM

You may want to take a look at ryxdp's WLMod skin at http://cmyk.890m.com/skins/wlmod.php.

quote:
Originally posted by cmyk.890m.com
If Windows Live Messenger's Dashboard and toolbars are a little over the top for you, then WLMod is the skin for you. Using only UIFiles to change the look of Messenger, WLMod removes adverts, adds colorization to elements of Messenger that don't fit in, and simplifies things a little so you can easily chat and have fun with mates.

You'll have to download the skin from ryxdp's website because it removes ads and such.
RE: Video carousel hiding by Moh on 03-19-2009 at 08:03 AM

You can give A-patch a try, or just make a simple skin that allows you to disable those ads. This tutorial might be helpful for you. :)