Shoutbox

Do your contacts ignore your Busy status on WLM and talk to you anyway? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Do your contacts ignore your Busy status on WLM and talk to you anyway? (/showthread.php?tid=89797)

Do your contacts ignore your Busy status on WLM and talk to you anyway? by Aeryn on 03-21-2009 at 08:34 PM

Just a random thing I'm wondering about... Do any of you also get the feeling sometimes that people don't read statuses at all or just like to assume that "Busy" means "Busy for everyone but you"?

I dunno, I get messaged just the same regardless of whether I'm Online or Busy, and sometimes it really annoys me because half the time I actually am doing something else and don't feel like going through the usual boring "hi, how are you? I'm fine, how are you? Oh hey I got a haircut last Friday!" routine. :p

Anyway, just a random thought. :p

RE: Do your contacts ignore your Busy status on WLM and talk to you anyway? by Th3rmal on 03-21-2009 at 08:38 PM

When I dont want to be talked to I just go appear offline, then just start chats with the people i wouldnt mind talking to. Idle's also a good status imo because even if they talk, you just dont answer and they _shouldnt_ think that your ignoring them :P

RE: Do your contacts ignore your Busy status on WLM and talk to you anyway? by Spunky on 03-21-2009 at 08:43 PM

Busy doesn't mean "I don't want to talk" though... It means messages may be delayed as you have other things to do. Also, as WLM put it, it means "your are busy and may not respond"; not that you shouldn't send them a message lol

Just put something in your psm to tell people not to talk to you :p

RE: Do your contacts ignore your Busy status on WLM and talk to you anyway? by Vilkku on 03-21-2009 at 08:45 PM

If you don't want people to talk to you, appear as offline. The way I see it, if you have set the status to busy you are doing something else and might not be able to respond instantly.

At least that is the way I see it - I usually message people instantly that I come up with something I have to say to them, regardless of status - even offline. Then again, if I just want to chat I might not do it if the other person indeed has their status set to busy.

I usually just set it to busy to stop getting the sound, then again the flashing taskbar is just as good as getting your attention as the sound.

In other news, I got a BSoD while writing this post - good old Firefox kept the text tho, so everything was still in the editbox :D

RE: Do your contacts ignore your Busy status on WLM and talk to you anyway? by Lou on 03-21-2009 at 11:36 PM

What I've noticed actually, is when I set my status to busy, especially if I set a message in my psm stating what I'm doing, I get messaged more than usual. People assume that there's more chance that I'm there and thus assume that I'll speak to them. Ignoring them completely does work but it may take a while and by then I get annoyed. Appear offline is definitely my preferred status choice.

RE: Do your contacts ignore your Busy status on WLM and talk to you anyway? by Joshua on 03-22-2009 at 12:11 AM

Lol, I just put my status as busy, then when somebody IM's me, I just say go away, and change my status to Away, and Personal Message to "Watching TV, don't talk to me bcoz I cannot hear it."

RE: Do your contacts ignore your Busy status on WLM and talk to you anyway? by djdannyp on 03-22-2009 at 12:57 AM

If you don't want to be disturbed, don't sign in.....simple as that.

Or if you do have to talk to someone.....do it appearing offline.

Also, as all people use statuses in different ways.....they are kinda loosely interpreted.

Some people are Available/Away/Busy the WHOLE time......so that has devalued statuses.

I'm generally set to whatever is appropriate...but I don't want people talking to me, I don't sign in.....which tbf is never, i like being approchable

it's the same principle as a phone-call......a phonecall is someone basically demanding that you drop whatever you're doing and talk to them.....yet no-one finds a phone-call rude

by being signed in you're giving more of an indication that you want to be talked to than you are by having a phone in your house

yet you'd consider someone calling you out of the blue, demanding your attention, as something normal...positive even......yet someone talking to you while you're busy pisses you off?....maybe look a little closer :P

RE: Do your contacts ignore your Busy status on WLM and talk to you anyway? by Nagamasa on 03-22-2009 at 01:36 AM

A few of my friends go Busy to stop nudges from shaking and to shut Messenger up with the sounds...(but they're all tech noobs)...

And some people are good at lying about their status.

And then those who are horrendous at changing them.

So I just ignore the status.

RE: Do your contacts ignore your Busy status on WLM and talk to you anyway? by blessedguy on 03-22-2009 at 01:59 AM

I quit choosing a status =P It seems that setting to "Busy" and "Away" is the same as "Message me NAAAAAAO!", at least Guru's Idle Liar helps =P, looks like people don't like chatting with "Idles".
But people know that if they set their status to Away or Busy I simply won't even open a conversation with him/her...

RE: Do your contacts ignore your Busy status on WLM and talk to you anyway? by Jesus on 03-22-2009 at 02:06 AM

lol I'm always "away"
more or less because i'm always "away" in some way...:P

RE: Do your contacts ignore your Busy status on WLM and talk to you anyway? by Menthix on 03-22-2009 at 02:10 PM

I often ignore people's status, but it goes both ways... if somebody is online but doesn't reply I'll just assume they're away or busy and I won't keep bugging them with "hey are you there?" or "why aren't you replying".

If somebody is busy or away I'll make sure I put what I want to say in the first message... if they don't reply to that they're probably really busy or away... if they do reply, fine let's have a conversation.

But i do have conversations starting with this no matter what status I'm in: "Hi! hey. What's up? nm, you? Same." If you start a conversation with someone, make sure you actually have something to say :(.

RE: RE: Do your contacts ignore your Busy status on WLM and talk to you anyway? by Aeryn on 03-22-2009 at 08:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Menthix
But i do have conversations starting with this no matter what status I'm in: "Hi! hey. What's up? nm, you? Same." If you start a conversation with someone, make sure you actually have something to say :(.

lol, exactly. :p That's why I almost never start convos with anyone, I never know what to say and I don't wanna be boring. :p