Shoutbox

Help Forum Sticky Clean-Up - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: Help Forum Sticky Clean-Up (/showthread.php?tid=89887)

Help Forum Sticky Clean-Up by Nagamasa on 03-26-2009 at 03:24 AM

I've noticed that in the Help Forum for MP!L is getting really cluttered with a gazillion stickies...

Perhaps so many that people asking questions are just skipping all the stickies and just asking the question...

Maybe we should consolidate the amount of stickied threads??

RE: Help Forum Sticky Clean-Up by CookieRevised on 03-26-2009 at 07:13 AM

You mean those 9 stickies? ^o)
If anything, there aren't enough imho...

RE: Help Forum Sticky Clean-Up by Nagamasa on 03-26-2009 at 12:00 PM

Well not remove them, but like put them all in 1 thread...

RE: Help Forum Sticky Clean-Up by Menthix on 03-26-2009 at 12:40 PM

I think people would read stickies even less in that case. Right now you can just quickly read the sticky thread titles to see if there's something related to your issue.

RE: Help Forum Sticky Clean-Up by djdannyp on 03-26-2009 at 01:02 PM

I think the SweetIM/SmileyCentral one needs changing

For starters there's now a LOT more programs that are incompatible and cause problems

And also people weren't always realising that they had them installed.....a new thread really needs creating with information and with the title  "Read if your Messenger Plus! Live disappears after restart"

I can do it if you want?  I seem to spend half my time typing out to people the list of incompatible programs!

Also, I can then maintain it as and when others are discovered/solved

RE: Help Forum Sticky Clean-Up by CookieRevised on 03-26-2009 at 06:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Nagamasa
Well not remove them, but like put them all in 1 thread...
Day in day out people report threads because they go off topic. Now you want to put several informative threads with totaly different topics into 1? Very bad idea imho...
quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp
I can do it if you want?  I seem to spend half my time typing out to people the list of incompatible programs!

Also, I can then maintain it as and when others are discovered/solved
(Y)
Let's just hope that the new thread isn't going to be filled up with random/very vague descriptions of problems like "Plus! doesn't work" or "I did everything and it still doesn't work"..... and then people forget to read all the previous posts and start repeating stuff... like in so many other threads...

Maybe request a lock to prevent that (and request a temporary quick unlock when you need updating)...
RE: Help Forum Sticky Clean-Up by djdannyp on 03-26-2009 at 07:46 PM

Yeah, good plan, i was going to do that (Y)

RE: Help Forum Sticky Clean-Up by Lou on 03-26-2009 at 11:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

Maybe request a lock to prevent that (and request a temporary quick unlock when you need updating)...
Not needed. There are several threads that I've had sticked and locked which I can edit all the time. It's just a quick hack for wdz, and you can edit that specific locked thread as much as you see fit :P.
RE: Help Forum Sticky Clean-Up by djdannyp on 03-26-2009 at 11:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Lou
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

Not needed. There are several threads that I've had sticked and locked which I can edit all the time. It's just a quick hack for wdz, and you can edit that specific locked thread as much as you see fit :P.

Didn't know that...chrono said it couldn't be done!

I'll PM WDZ
RE: Help Forum Sticky Clean-Up by CookieRevised on 03-27-2009 at 12:48 AM

didn't know it either...

dodgy WDZ :p, yet, very cool 'hack' :P
(possibly done because they got tired of unlocking/locking each time someone wanted to update, lol :p)

RE: Help Forum Sticky Clean-Up by WDZ on 03-27-2009 at 01:14 AM

I probably never posted about that, but yeah, I have a config file that specifies exceptions to the "no editing posts in closed threads" rule.

* WDZ adds a line :p

PHP code:
    54012 => array(89897), // djdannyp

RE: Help Forum Sticky Clean-Up by High Speed Chaser on 03-27-2009 at 08:23 AM

Could a new help section be created on the main msgpluslive.net site and then have these topics moved there?
I think people would look on the main site before coming to the forum.

RE: Help Forum Sticky Clean-Up by CookieRevised on 03-27-2009 at 09:17 AM

In the help section on the main site there is already a very clear link to the forums.

Moving all locked topics there would be a mess, as they are all too different from eachother.
Incooperating (not copying or moving) certain information in locked topics (but certainly not all) in the help section would be ok though.

It is fine as it is...

imho

RE: RE: Help Forum Sticky Clean-Up by djdannyp on 03-27-2009 at 08:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
I probably never posted about that, but yeah, I have a config file that specifies exceptions to the "no editing posts in closed threads" rule.

* WDZ adds a line :p

PHP code:
    54012 => array(89897), // djdannyp

woo, awesome :D