Shoutbox

Boost character limit even further script? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Thread: Boost character limit even further script? (/showthread.php?tid=89930)

Boost character limit even further script? by riahc4 on 03-27-2009 at 07:27 PM

Hey

Would it be possible to boost character limit even further than the limatation removed in Plus! ? From what I understand, it would become unstable (sending messages) but I think a few extra hundred (and of course under our own consequences) wouldnt hurt.

RE: Boost character limit even further script? by 6969willwill on 03-27-2009 at 10:47 PM

i dont think there is a script that could do that... but it could be done in the next release of msg plus. i dont think it will be done though. i personally would love it if the character limit was boosted to 5000 like in sutffplug.

RE: Boost character limit even further script? by davidpolitis on 03-28-2009 at 03:48 AM

quote:
Originally posted by riahc4
Would it be possible to boost character limit even further than the limatation removed in Plus! ? From what I understand, it would become unstable (sending messages) but I think a few extra hundred (and of course under our own consequences) wouldnt hurt.
Uumm... large amounts of text are sent as text files now. There is no point. Also, remember this and this?
RE: Boost character limit even further script? by riahc4 on 03-29-2009 at 05:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by davidpolitis
quote:
Uumm... large amounts of text are sent as text files now.

I was not aware of this protocol change. When did it happen?

Holy memories, didnt remember I already requested this/talked about this.
The NudgesToolsScript also "abuses" the system but it has its good purposes as well. I personally plan on using this to send conversations I have with other contacts to other contacts. It is stupid to open up Word, copy/paste, save, and send it to my other contact, which we are hoping has Word. I think extending the limit should be under the responsibility of the user sending the message if it arrives or not (talking about if this feature is stable or not)
RE: RE: Boost character limit even further script? by davidpolitis on 03-30-2009 at 05:28 AM

quote:
The NudgesToolsScript also "abuses" the system but it has its good purposes as well.
That is different. Removing the nudge delay is not abusing servers and there is no instability. The smallest amount of data would need to be sent to your contact to tell their client that a nudge has been sent...

quote:
It is stupid to open up Word, copy/paste, save, and send it to my other contact, which we are hoping has Word.
Why would you use a Word document instead of just a simple text file written in notepad?
Also:
quote:

RE: Boost character limit even further script? by James Potter on 03-30-2009 at 05:56 AM

Text exceeding X characters will be automatically sent as a .txt file to your contact. This does not require your contact to have any third-party programs installed, as Notepad is already available in Windows. This has been implemented by Messenger Plus! and has nothing to do with how Messenger's protocol works on the server.

Moreover, Microsoft Word is used by millions of users, so don't you worry, the majority has it, and they're not stupid/ignorant enough, for them not to know how to use it. ;)

RE: RE: Boost character limit even further script? by davidpolitis on 03-30-2009 at 06:02 AM

quote:
Originally posted by James Potter
Moreover, Microsoft Word is used by millions of users, so don't you worry, the majority has it, and they're not stupid/ignorant enough, for them not to know how to use it. ;)
Those who don't use Microsoft Office usually use some alternative which can deal with popular formats. OpenOffice is an example.
RE: Boost character limit even further script? by James Potter on 03-30-2009 at 06:06 AM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by James Potter
Those who don't use Microsoft Office usually use some alternative which can deal with popular formats. OpenOffice is an example.
This is true, and OpenOffice deals with .doc file formats, so... :P
RE: RE: RE: Boost character limit even further script? by riahc4 on 03-30-2009 at 08:33 AM

quote:
quote:
The NudgesToolsScript also "abuses" the system but it has its good purposes as well.
That is different. Removing the nudge delay is not abusing servers and there is no instability. The smallest amount of data would need to be sent to your contact to tell their client that a nudge has been sent...

quote:
It is stupid to open up Word, copy/paste, save, and send it to my other contact, which we are hoping has Word.
Why would you use a Word document instead of just a simple text file written in notepad?
Also:
quote:

Notepad doesnt support formatting.
And again, I wasnt aware that large amounts of texts are sent in .txt ......Its kinda dumb IMO but I guess Itll do...
RE: Boost character limit even further script? by vaccination on 03-30-2009 at 08:53 AM

quote:
......Its kinda dumb IMO but I guess Itll do...
????

Yeah, solving the  problem of the character limit with a solution that has no limitations for any user is so dumb. You are the dumb one.
RE: Boost character limit even further script? by James Potter on 03-30-2009 at 09:04 AM

quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
quote:
......Its kinda dumb IMO but I guess Itll do...
????

Yeah, solving the  problem of the character limit with a solution that has no limitations for any user is so dumb. You are the dumb one.
I agree on your statement, James.

@riahc4: On a side note, Would RTF and Wordpad be fine for you, Mr Picky? :P