Shoutbox

See what people are typing??? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: See what people are typing??? (/showthread.php?tid=89935)

See what people are typing??? by Jake.Stevens195 on 03-27-2009 at 10:32 PM

hi, i just joined da forums, i was wondering:

When someone is typing it sayes "[User] is typing a message..."

im a retard so ill speak my mind.

When WLM sends that signal, is it actually sending what they are typing or just a signal that their typing.

what im really asking is: can we see what the other user is typing before they press "send" or press enter?

RE: See what people are typing??? by blessedguy on 03-27-2009 at 10:38 PM

Just a signal that they're typing according to the Privacy statement, and not the actual message. =)

RE: See what people are typing??? by Jake.Stevens195 on 03-27-2009 at 10:39 PM

AWWW damn!

nice idea though. thanks for the reply. ;)

if anyone finds a way... please share.

RE: See what people are typing??? by blessedguy on 03-27-2009 at 11:37 PM

There isn't a way! =P
Do you think someone would join a service that shows whatever you type (update: without your consetment)?

RE: RE: See what people are typing??? by Jake.Stevens195 on 03-27-2009 at 11:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blessedguy
There isn't a way! =P
Do you think someone would join a service that shows whatever you type?

your misunderstanding me. if that signal was the actual stuff they were typing(but not shown until they press enter), if there was a peice of scripting that would display it.
RE: See what people are typing??? by CookieRevised on 03-27-2009 at 11:48 PM

quote:
Sure... why not... There are/were probably a lot of services were you can see the actual things people type in real time. But with those services all the people using it would know about it and acknowledge it it happens... that is the major difference.

However, Messenger is indeed not such a service. You indeed can't see what the other is typing (luckally for some :p); you can indeed only see the signal that they are typing. There is no workaround or backdoor in the protocol either since nothing is physically send until the contact has actually pressed the send button or pressed the enter key.
RE: See what people are typing??? by blessedguy on 03-27-2009 at 11:55 PM

Forgot to add the little bit of info:

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
But with those services all the people using it would know about it and acknowledge it it happens... that is the major difference.
I know some services would allow it, wouldn't say that anyone doesn't =P
RE: RE: RE: See what people are typing??? by ryxdp on 03-27-2009 at 11:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jake.Stevens195
quote:
There isn't a way! =P

your misunderstanding me. if that signal was the actual stuff they were typing(but not shown until they press enter), if there was a peice of scripting that would display it.

No, he's right. If this were possible, there would be so many issues with it, eg. privacy. If someone types something and then decides not to send it, for whatever reason, it's their choice.

Yes, there might be a way via a scripting but it would be very inefficient as the message would have to be sent twice, and in that extra characters that the contact doesn't decide to include in the message would be sent, then the signals to erase them would have to be sent as well... As you can see, it would probably eat up your bandwidth twice as fast as usual, keeping in mind that text isn't very large compared to, say, a 50MB file that is being transferred over the Messenger service.

EDIT: Beaten to it :P twice, no less
RE: See what people are typing??? by robert_dll on 03-28-2009 at 03:15 AM

You can't do that simply because your messenegr doesn't send any message to the server until you press enter and that's all.