Shoutbox

[suggestion] SendMessage counter reset - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: [suggestion] SendMessage counter reset (/showthread.php?tid=89985)

[suggestion] SendMessage counter reset by rtsfg on 03-30-2009 at 05:35 PM

Hi,

I've been doing some scripting lately and was really annoyed by the ChatWnd-SendMessage Flood Control.
I created an account which responds to others messages, basicly a talking ai.
Of course, the flood control is important, but would it be possible to reset the counter not only when I send a message, but if the contact does, too?

The flood control would still do it's work, but my scripts, which only answer at request, also would.

This wouldn't be an important change, but pretty simple, I guess...

Thanks in advice :)

RE: [suggestion] SendMessage counter reset by CookieRevised on 03-31-2009 at 06:39 PM

The flood control works with a timer; you can only send X messages in Y amount of time.

So "Resetting the counter" as you call it, means actually disabling the flood control. As a result the flood control will not work anymore.

So you're basicaly asking to disable the flood control...
I'm afraid that wont happen...

RE: [suggestion] SendMessage counter reset by rtsfg on 04-01-2009 at 10:46 AM

I found out by trying, but as far as I could see, the counter resets when I send a normal message by typing...

And my suggestion only is to reset the counter if the contact says something, so, if I get no answer, the flood control will still block the messages after some time.

RE: [suggestion] SendMessage counter reset by CookieRevised on 04-01-2009 at 10:53 AM

quote:
Originally posted by rtsfg
my suggestion only is to reset the counter if the contact says something
ah, I see.... sorry for not reading your post properly the first time....

Yeah, this might maybe be a nice addition/change. Although it might make an infinite loop possible if both you and the contact have a talking bot. Whereas now, the flood control will stop it from happening. Hmmm.... Interesting to know what Patchou thinks about this...
RE: [suggestion] SendMessage counter reset by rtsfg on 04-01-2009 at 06:27 PM

Hm, running two bots like this can make an infinite loop, but whoever runs one (or two) is probably aware of that.
The only problem would be some people trying to intentionally slow down the messenger servers...
I'm not able to value the risk of that...

Maybe, if the risk is too high, the message to send could be hold back if there was one send shortly before, and then be sent one or a few seconds after the last one was sent?