Shoutbox

Windows Live crashing when MsgPlus 4.81.358 installed - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: Windows Live crashing when MsgPlus 4.81.358 installed (/showthread.php?tid=89990)

Windows Live crashing when MsgPlus 4.81.358 installed by D4v3 on 03-30-2009 at 10:38 PM

Hi guys,

I am running Windows Live 14.0.8064.206 with MsgPlus 4.81.358 installed.  I'm running XP SP3 with flash player 10.  When I try and log on, it seems to sign me in, but then the whole program crashes, with no error message at all.  This does not happen as soon as I remove MsgPlus, and then Live works normally.  I have tried clean installing both applications, reverting to older versions, with Live 8.5, and Plus build 358, but have drawn a total blank. 

I am also experiencing Print Spooler errors, with regular spooler subsystem app error messages, which I also cannot fix even after running CleanSpl.exe, and editing of the registry to basic levels.  I have tried running sfc /scannow as well, but nothing seems to work. 

I not 100% sure this is a MsgPlus bug, because of the other errors on my PC, but it is odd that WLM works when you remove Plus. I know it's a long shot, but does anyone have any ideas at all?  I'm an experienced user, but short of reinstalling Windows, I have run out of ideas.

Here's hoping!

Dave 

EDIT - - While still trying to sort this the following error message was thrown.   I got the usual "WLM has encountered a problem..." and the Error signature is as follows:

AppName: msnmsgr.exe      AppVer: 14.0.8064.206     AppStamp:498cf586
ModName: unknown      ModVer: 0.0.0.0      ModStamp:00000000
fDebug: 0       Offset: b4d8f29c

RE: Windows Live crashing when MsgPlus 4.81.358 installed by Chris4 on 03-31-2009 at 02:07 AM

Hey,

You could try a complete clean install which removes everything related to Messenger. If the problem still persists, you know that it can't be Messenger or Plus! causing the problem.

I would research the Print Spooler errors first, try and fix them before messing with Messenger.

~Chris

RE: Windows Live crashing when MsgPlus 4.81.358 installed by Patchou on 03-31-2009 at 05:17 AM

Please try running the Maintenance wizard in the uninstaller to reset all your settings and disable your scripts, then post again to tell us if it fixed your issues or not. Thanks.

RE: Windows Live crashing when MsgPlus 4.81.358 installed by D4v3 on 03-31-2009 at 02:24 PM

Hi Guys,

Chris4 - I tried a clean install, which didn't solve the problem.  The Print Spooler errors are leading me to think that there is some deeper problem going on here, especially when they can't be resolved via the standard registry cleanup etc.  Looking in the event viewer after Messenger crashes I only get something like

"The following information is part of the event: msnmsgr.exe, 14.0.8064.206, 498cf586, unknown, 0.0.0.0, 00000000, 0, 00000000."

so it is proving tricky to locate the root cause of the problem.

Patchou - I have run the wizard in the uninstaller to reset all settings and scripts.  I've also run Microsoft's repair option in the uninstaller to try and fix the issue but nothing!

Thanks for both your replies - WLM without Plus! just isn't the same!  I am off now to try and remove the stupid spooler issue from the equation...

Dave

RE: Windows Live crashing when MsgPlus 4.81.358 installed by D4v3 on 04-02-2009 at 06:30 PM

Hey all,

Further to this post it seems that it is not an isolated issue, as another user is now experiencing the same problem:

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=90036

Any further ideas anyone?

Dave

RE: Windows Live crashing when MsgPlus 4.81.358 installed by emmlar on 04-08-2009 at 12:36 PM

Hi there,

I'm having exactly the same problem, including the print spooler issues, which is strange. Everything was running fine, then it crashed and I have not been able to get back in since without installing Plus!.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled both Plus! and WLM about 3 times. Run repairs on both and the only thing that stops it crashing it to have Plus! uninstalled.

The only recent changes to my system, aside from what I have done subsequently to try and fix this, was to install 'Windows Genuine Advantage tool' (by accident, as I was running some other updates and didn't see this one hiding!). I don't know if this is related, but, being a crap MS update, it seemed like the obvious place to start looking.

Dave, did you get anywhere with the print spooler issue?

RE: Windows Live crashing when MsgPlus 4.81.358 installed by aarste on 04-08-2009 at 01:48 PM

Also getting the same problem, but it doesn't show any crash window. Instead msnmsgr.exe gets killed and disappears from Task Manager when trying to sign in.

I used to stay on 8.5 for a while because I wasn't too keen on the new 2009 version, I installed a Plus update a few days ago since it asked to (something about a new ask.com sponsor?) and from there on messenger would get killed every time I signed in so I uninstalled Plus and everything worked again. I assumed the new Plus wasn't compatible with 8.5 which made me decide to do the following today:

I decided to start over everything since I wanted Plus back on. Updated to WLM 2009, a-patched it, then installed Plus 4.81.0.358 which I had stored on my storage hard disk, worked fine for a while then it happened again. Ran the maintenance from the uninstaller to reset Plus back to defaults but this didn't fix it, I was again forced to uninstall Plus to stop WLM 2009 getting killed on sign in.

Windows XP Event Viewer isn't showing any errors of any sort.

RE: RE: Windows Live crashing when MsgPlus 4.81.358 installed by D4v3 on 04-08-2009 at 02:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by emmlar
Dave, did you get anywhere with the print spooler issue?

Hi,

No, I am afraid I didn't.  I spent a fair bit of time trawling through the Event Viewer and using Process Monitor, but because the errors reported are not naming any erroneous dlls or processes it's proving very hard to locate the issue.

Short of reformatting my machine, which I am not prepared to do at the moment due to current lack of a secondary windows box, I'm out of ideas.

The spooler issue is still really annoying me as I now cannot make PDFs, so I've been doing that kinda thing on my trusty Mac...

If I do get anywhere I'll be sure to post back.

Dave
RE: Windows Live crashing when MsgPlus 4.81.358 installed by aarste on 04-09-2009 at 08:46 PM

I tried the clean install link Chris provided, removed all traces of WLM 2009, rebooted and installed WLM 8.5, since I still prefer this.

Installed Plus, fired up WLM and signed in, completed the Plus wizard configuration that popped up then closed WLM again. Started it up again and it just disappears when trying to sign in. (Window and System tray icon disappears)

Several attempts later it would stay fine after signing in, but other times it would just get killed. Now it just gets killed every single time.

I've had the Print Spooler service disabled since my windows install last year as part of disabling un-needed services, I enabled it today to see what it would do or if it was related. It runs fine but WLM still continues to crash regardless.

I'm puzzled only 3-4 people on these boards have had identical or similar symptoms this week but nothing more, which is making me think it's conflicting with running or recently installed software. Below is my list of running software:

Avira AntiVirus 9.0 (Have tried WLM with Guard enabled/disabled)
Ad Muncher
mIRC
DU Meter
HD Tune
ATI CCC 9.2
Firefox
Rocketdock

Recently installed:
Internet Explorer 8

RE: Windows Live crashing when MsgPlus 4.81.358 installed by aarste on 04-09-2009 at 08:59 PM

It seems I may have fixed this, although I hope the rest of you are using Ad Muncher too or it's a dead end :p

It probably has to do with an Ad Muncher advert list update or Microsoft changing the way their adverts work, i.e. killing the application if it detected an advert was blocked. Who knows.

[Image: admuncher_msn.png]

Simply click msnmsgr in the Recent Program Names list and click on Don't Filter, it should then appear in the My Filter Targets with a "-" which means filtering is disabled on that process name. Hope this works for you!

edit: It still makes no sense why it has to crash with Plus installed, and fine without, until I added msnmsgr to the exclusion list in my ad blocking program.

RE: Windows Live crashing when MsgPlus 4.81.358 installed by D4v3 on 04-14-2009 at 10:04 PM

Just to update, I do not have Ad Muncher - the problem is still happening, so I've given up using WLM.  Anyone else out there got anywhere trying something?