Shoutbox

Lost a partition in Vista - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Lost a partition in Vista (/showthread.php?tid=90064)

Lost a partition in Vista by Exca on 04-08-2009 at 10:06 AM

Hello boys n girls,

I have tried to make another partition in Vista using Partition Magic 8. Not a good idea apparently, because after reboot the partition I wanted to have was not made, and I 'lost' another important partition.

When going to Computer -> Manage I can see the partition (see screenshot) but it has no driveletter. The other partition is the one with Vista on it which I can use and boot normally.

I have run checkdisk which didn't found any errors.
I have booted my computer with Parted Magic which states that my whole harddrive is unallocated (while I boot my Vista fine from it, the partition with Vista is available in this computer as normal)

Luckily I have a second harddrive with XP on it. When in XP, the lost partition in Vista does appear there, and I can use and brows it normally. So I made a backup from the drive there, and went back to Vista.

Again in Vista's Disk Management I tried to format the partition, but he doesn't let me to... the drive's stuck in Vista.

How can I get it back?

[Image: error.jpg]

RE: Lost a partition in Vista by Jarrod on 04-08-2009 at 10:51 AM

I don't think system restore will restore partition information

RE: Lost a partition in Vista by Exca on 04-08-2009 at 01:43 PM

Assigning a driveletter doesn't work... not allowed to...

RE: Lost a partition in Vista by andrey on 04-08-2009 at 01:57 PM

I think TestDisk could be what you are looking for. Be sure to read the manual before attempting a recovery and use at your own risk..

It has worked for me in the past and saved me a lot of trouble. I had been using Partition Magic back then too, I would suggest switching to another partitioning program, it seems Partition Magic can be quite buggy sometimes.

Have you tried googling for the error that comes up? You might want to try that first..

RE: Lost a partition in Vista by Exca on 04-08-2009 at 03:56 PM

Many thanks for the tip Andrey, i've got my partition back ^^

Solved!