Shoutbox

Driving Test [Now Passed :D] - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Driving Test [Now Passed :D] (/showthread.php?tid=90176)

Driving Test [Now Passed :D] by Vimto on 04-15-2009 at 08:57 AM

So I have my driving test tomorrow morning, I've had about 20 lessons so far, I'm a good driver, my instructor and I have gone over the every test route in the area my test is in and I've been great.

I'm just a wreck with nerves :( I know that I'll f**k up with an examiner there, couldn't sleep this morning because I was so nervous. Can't get it out of my head and I'm constantly all butterfly-ey. (:P)

So has anyone got any ideas how I could de-stress myself! Or stories about your first go at this? Would really help. Thanks. :)

RE: Driving Test by Thor on 04-15-2009 at 09:41 AM

This is going to sound a bit silly as an answer to your question, but here goes.... :p

Breathe in - and breathe out.

Being nervous is normal, just think about green fields and whatever makes you happy. :)

RE: Driving Test by Vilkku on 04-15-2009 at 09:43 AM

I don't know how the system is over there, but I'll share my experiences anyway :o

In Finland we have to take a certain number of lessons, both theoretical and practical, and first take a theoretical test and then a practical test once the we have passed the first one. I was also extremely nervous for my tests, especially the practical one which I assume is similar to yours - you drive around in normal traffic with an examiner as passenger.

What I think is good to remember is the fact that the exam is not meant to be insanely difficult - it's meant to be just like normal driving. That means that if you actually know how to drive and behave in traffic then you'll pass, and if you fail then there is a reason for it. Granted, with an examiner you are usually much more nervous but (unfortunately?), if you can't drive properly just because of that, then maybe you really aren't qualified to drive?

I did end up passing all of my tests at the first go, even if I made a mistake during the driving part (messed up my parallel parking and did stop a bit late for a car coming when I was turning out to the road). I was sure I was going to fail, but the examiner said that overall I did pretty good so I passed. Once I started driving, I was more concentrated on that than on being nervous, I think you'll be more relaxed as well as soon as you get behind the wheel.

Good luck with your test! (and please tell us how it goes :P)

RE: Driving Test by matty on 04-15-2009 at 10:06 AM

Canada is a bit different as well. We have a graduated licensing system. Kind of like elementary (pre) school.

We have the G1, G2 and G for standard motor vehicles.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driver%27s_licence_i...da#Ontario.5B11.5D)

My story goes as this:
I was late at getting my license. At 16 you can get your learners permit (G1) and I failed the written test. I was 18 or 19. I went a second time and this time I was the only one writing. Apparently I failed. The examiner actually asked me a few questions and changed my answers so I would pass.

My first road test was about a year later. I hadn't really practiced much and lucky for me they didn't make me do a lot of the standard tests, for instance parallel parking.

Fast forward to September of last year. My license was about to expire (they expire every 5 years and you need to renew it). I booked a test in another city. My test when I booked it originally I tried for 1PM but it was taken so I took 130PM. I got to the licensing place only to find out that they actually had me booked in for 1PM. Needless to say they had to fail me because I couldn't take my test. I re-booked for the last day my license was valid... talk about nerves! I passed but imagine doing a full 45 minute driving test on everything possible on the last possible day... I was a wreck but passed :)

RE: Driving Test by MeEtc on 04-15-2009 at 10:31 AM

As for your 'nerves', I can't say much for driving because I don't drive myself yet. I hear alcohol will take your mind off things, and does wonders for your driving abilities!

:p

RE: Driving Test by Vimto on 04-15-2009 at 10:36 AM

Well my grandmother suggested I have a glass of whisky for the nerves :P. My driving instructor suggested two paracetamol and a banana.

RE: RE: Driving Test by Phillip on 04-15-2009 at 11:28 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Vimto
Well my grandmother suggested I have a glass of whisky for the nerves :P. My driving instructor suggested two paracetamol and a banana.
Whisky sounds like a good idea.
RE: Driving Test by Menthix on 04-15-2009 at 12:08 PM

Yeah, might as well have the drunk driving experience early on :p.

RE: Driving Test by ShawnZ on 04-15-2009 at 12:30 PM

solution: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA2J92HOQmw

RE: Driving Test by foaly on 04-15-2009 at 01:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
solution: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA2J92HOQmw
better solution: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WruyjJwyf0M

but seriously try to take your mind off it...
play brainless games... go visit people...
or you could always try a mild sedative if you're really really really really desperate...
RE: Driving Test by Spunky on 04-15-2009 at 01:23 PM

• Just look out for other cars being stupid.
  • Do exactly what the instructor says.
  • Parallel parking, reversing around corners and turn in the road are are all easy, just remember that you can take as long as you need.
  • Check your mirrors when you when changing direction or speed
  • Don't cross your arms when steering
  • Don't keep one hand on the gear stick
  • Don't ride the clutch
  • Take extra care looking at junctions and islands (make it look exaggerated)
  • Check mirrors before pulling off and look over your shoulder
  • You can take off your seatbelt to reverse if you need to as long as you put it back on before pulling off again (May want to use handbrake to secure the car
  • Adjust your seat and mirrors, even if they are perfect to make sure they know you checked them.
  • Wear your seatbelt and don't start the engine until all passengers are wearing theirs
  • Revise the 2 "show me tell me" (location of oil and how to check the indicators are working for example)
  • Relax and try to appear confident
  • The examiner will most likely ask questions whilst your driving to distract you. Answer when you can, whilst still paying attention to the road ahead.
  • Your driving instructor should have covered a few possible routes the examiner will take you. Try to remember common manoeuvres and where you did them, just in case.
  • I would personally recommend taking the instructor on the test with you. He can't help in anyway, but would be beneficial if the examiner seemed unfair
  • Relax

I passed on my second try as the first time I apparently cut up a black taxi at an island, although we don't have those sorts of taxis around here. Second time I passed with around 7 minors, but everybody gets those :p

I went through 3 different cars during my lessons because my instructor kept buying new ones. I would make sure you know which point of the car to line up when doing a reverse bay park (Once you pass you'll just guess anyway and it couldn't be simpler when you're allowed to move the steering wheel as much as you like)

Just treat it like going a ride with your parents to the shops. Stay relaxed, but if you appear too relaxed the examiner might think your not paying enough attention to everything
RE: Driving Test by djdannyp on 04-15-2009 at 01:47 PM

Those are awesome tips....definitely gonna take note of those when I get to mine!

I've had two lessons so far, feels like it's going really well.  I haven't taken the theory yet tho and I was wondering if anyone had any tips on that?

I'm going to the BSM centre tomorrow (i think) to have a try on the hazard perception thing....but I'm just not sure about when to do the theory.....does actual driving help with the theory at all?

I've got the Nintendo DS Driving Theory Training game thing which I've done a lot on....and a HUUUUUGE AA book with loads of questions in.

Any tips people?

Edit: Woo, Post 1966...the year England won the World Cup

RE: RE: Driving Test by Vimto on 04-15-2009 at 01:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp
Those are awesome tips....definitely gonna take note of those when I get to mine!

I've had two lessons so far, feels like it's going really well.  I haven't taken the theory yet tho and I was wondering if anyone had any tips on that?

I'm going to the BSM centre tomorrow (i think) to have a try on the hazard perception thing....but I'm just not sure about when to do the theory.....does actual driving help with the theory at all?

I've got the Nintendo DS Driving Theory Training game thing which I've done a lot on....and a HUUUUUGE AA book with loads of questions in.

Any tips people?

Edit: Woo, Post 1966...the year England won the World Cup

I actually did quite well on my theory, 50/50 questions and 65 on hazard perception.

I got a CD for my PC from my driving instructor, it is not the official DSA one. My friend has the official DSA one and now uses mine.

Find it here.

I know you can get it from asda/tesco etc.

Also thanks spunky!
RE: Driving Test by Spunky on 04-15-2009 at 02:08 PM

quote:

Theory test is basic common sense really. I got 1 wrong I think. I would suggest keep trying it until you get a perfect score 5 times (35/35, not 30/35 :p) in a row.

Hazard Perception is harder in my opinion, but click as soon as you see someone about to swerve, walk in the road or if the video shows your car falling out of the sky at an alarming rate :p
RE: RE: Driving Test by Vimto on 04-15-2009 at 02:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Spunky
quote:

Theory test is basic common sense really. I got 1 wrong I think. I would suggest keep trying it until you get a perfect score 5 times (35/35, not 30/35 :p) in a row.

Hazard Perception is harder in my opinion, but click as soon as you see someone about to swerve, walk in the road or if the video shows your car falling out of the sky at an alarming rate :p

My theory questions were out of 50 (pass mark being 43) and my hazard perception out of 75 (pass mark being 44)?
RE: Driving Test by Spunky on 04-15-2009 at 02:58 PM

I'm write as far as I can remember, but obviously it'll have changed a lot over the last few years.

I think the DVD I had definitely asked 35 (although it may have been 39, but I can't think why it would give a weird number like that...)

RE: Driving Test by ipab on 04-15-2009 at 03:24 PM

Like Matty said, here we have a GLP anyway I went for my theory test when I was 16 and I finished it in 25 mins 97.5% accuracy (basically there are 50 questions and as soon as you answer 40 correctly, you pass) :). Then I didn't do any driving with it and it expired in 2 years so I had to go back and get it. The second time, I didn't prepare for it at all and I finished the test in 6 mins, with an accuracy of 100% :D, a record in the Licensing office I took it in... (to be fair, the theory test was multiple choice and I had to push buttons).

Now turn the clock another 2 years, I turn 20 in July, but if I don't take my road test by the end of May I have to start the whole process over again.... so yeah... safe to say I hate the graduated licensing program.

Anyway, for your question vimto, pop a mint. The menthol usually has a mild calming effect, just keep taking deep breaths. It's a really awesome feeling actually ;)

RE: Driving Test by Vimto on 04-15-2009 at 04:57 PM

I'm just getting myself all worked up!

I need to calm down. Thanks guys :)

RE: RE: Driving Test by andrewdodd13 on 04-15-2009 at 10:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Spunky
I'm write as far as I can remember, but obviously it'll have changed a lot over the last few years.

I think the DVD I had definitely asked 35 (although it may have been 39, but I can't think why it would give a weird number like that...)
It was 35 when I sat it in June 07, it changed up to 50 in August that year.

The crap thing about driving tests is as soon as you pass, you'll have a million times more confidence than you did, even on your lessons. Makes driving so much easier as well.

Of course, if you have confidence on the test then you'll be fine. :)
RE: Driving Test by blessedguy on 04-16-2009 at 12:15 AM

quote:
I'm just getting myself all worked up!

I need to calm down. Thanks guys :)
No worries =)
Just be calm enough not to confuse the acellerator with the break. =) (and be glad you don't have to wait till 18 to start having theorical lessons...)
RE: Driving Test by High Speed Chaser on 04-16-2009 at 05:07 AM

Deep breaths. Take your time. Forget the examiner is there or picture him/her in underwear. Maybe listening to relaxing music.

Just remember if you fail, which I doubt you will, it's not the end of the world. You can take the test again.

Are you doing manual or auto?

quote:
Originally posted by blessedguy
No worries =)
Just be calm enough not to confuse the acellerator with the break. =) (and be glad you don't have to wait till 18 to start having theorical lessons...)

You Can't have lessons until your 18?
Unlucky.

I'm not 18 yet and I'm already learning how to fly planes and some of my friends have boat/jetski licences.
Come to think of it I have more hours in a plane then in a car. Weird
RE: Driving Test by wacky on 04-16-2009 at 05:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by High Speed Chaser
Forget the examiner is there or picture him/her in underwear.
that could be a bad idea... If it's a hot examiner (like I had :chrongue:) and you imagine them in underwear, you won't be concentrating on the road ^o)

Honestly, as soon as you start the exam, you'll feel alright. Just pay attention to the road. Most of the examiners will normally be on your side
RE: Driving Test by Rolando on 04-16-2009 at 06:30 AM

My driving test was so dumb.. It was on a parking spot. No parallel parking or anything, so easy. :)

RE: Driving Test by Vimto on 04-16-2009 at 07:35 AM

Thanks everyone, the support has actually made me feel better :)

I am getting picked up in an hour so I'm off to get showered, breakfast etc. Wish me luck (yn)

RE: Driving Test by High Speed Chaser on 04-16-2009 at 07:41 AM

Good Luck!!! :)

RE: Driving Test by foaly on 04-16-2009 at 09:15 AM

good luck!

RE: Driving Test by Vimto on 04-16-2009 at 11:29 AM

I passed :)

3 minors. But meh! :D

Thanks everyone :):)

RE: Driving Test by High Speed Chaser on 04-16-2009 at 11:34 AM

Congratulations. See nothing to worry about.

RE: Driving Test [Now Passed :D] by Spunky on 04-16-2009 at 01:08 PM

quote:

Congrats and 3 minors is nothing! (not the jailbait kind, the driving test kind :p). Well done babs ;)
RE: Driving Test [Now Passed :D] by Basilis on 04-16-2009 at 04:53 PM

Congratulations Vimto!

RE: Driving Test [Now Passed :D] by blessedguy on 04-16-2009 at 05:11 PM

Congratulations =)
Now I'd better start studying to be able to start taking lessons in December, 2010 =P

quote:
Originally posted by High Speed Chaser
You Can't have lessons until your 18?
Unlucky.

I'm not 18 yet and I'm already learning how to fly planes and some of my friends have boat/jetski licences.
Come to think of it I have more hours in a plane then in a car. Weird
Not legally... I mean, you can drive whataver you'd like to when not in public...
Yeah =P, I also have more time in planes (glad Dad is a pilot, so he let's me take off and land sometimes - and the best of all: be inside the plane during tests, wich means "Near zero-G experience!") than in cars! *-* It doesn't feel that strange... Not more than being able to watch and understand lessons designed for people older than you and do better than them...

quote:

3 minors? =) Nice!
RE: Driving Test [Now Passed :D] by gif83 on 04-16-2009 at 05:38 PM

Congratulations Vimto... see, piece of cheesecake.

RE: Driving Test [Now Passed :D] by Vimto on 04-18-2009 at 12:49 PM

Now all I have to do is concentrate on who I can sponge off for a car :P.
I have a few ideas.

btw thanks everyone for the support and congrats. :)

RE: Driving Test [Now Passed :D] by Spunky on 04-18-2009 at 01:41 PM

quote:
Now all I have to do is concentrate on who I can sponge off for a car :P.
I have a few ideas.

btw thanks everyone for the support and congrats. :)

I've got a very nice Red 1995 Renault Laguna 1.8 I'm getting rid of ;) Slight damage to front passenger side, central locking broke, sunroof sticks, driver door barrel broke and window wipers need replacing... Over than that :p
RE: Driving Test [Now Passed :D] by Nathan on 04-18-2009 at 03:31 PM

Pfft like she'll ever pay the insurance for a 1.8 spunky :p. The lower cc, the cheaper the insurance :)

RE: Driving Test [Now Passed :D] by Voldemort on 04-18-2009 at 04:02 PM

haha, i've been driving since i was 15, never crashed =D, never had a ticket either

RE: Driving Test [Now Passed :D] by Spunky on 04-18-2009 at 08:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Nathan
Pfft like she'll ever pay the insurance for a 1.8 spunky :p. The lower cc, the cheaper the insurance :)

My insurance was £1300 for first year (£240 deposit). Thats the cheapest for any car I searched including the 1.2s. It would have cost me more for a Corsa or Punto and it still does fantastic on petrol. One owner before me and it was in excellent condition. I paid £650 for it less than a year ago ;p
RE: Driving Test [Now Passed :D] by Nathan on 04-24-2009 at 04:40 PM

Yeah but your 20, shes 17 :p

RE: Driving Test [Now Passed :D] by Vilkku on 04-24-2009 at 05:19 PM

Come to a proper country where age or car model does not have any effect on the insurance price.

RE: Driving Test [Now Passed :D] by blessedguy on 04-24-2009 at 09:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Vilkku
Come to a proper country where age or car model does not have any effect on the insurance price.
Or to a country where age and car model can make it untaxable =P
RE: Driving Test [Now Passed :D] by Kenji on 04-25-2009 at 12:22 AM

I want to start lessons soon... i'm dreading the costs. :(

RE: Driving Test [Now Passed :D] by Vimto on 04-25-2009 at 11:32 AM

My lessons were £19 each. Quite cheap.
I booked a 2 courses of ten, then two solo lessons before my test.

But yeah it is expensive, the tests alone are expensive. Theory was just under £30, practical was about £56 I think.

But it pays off in the end :)

RE: Driving Test [Now Passed :D] by Kenji on 04-25-2009 at 11:43 AM

£19? So its not that bad then... I was getting told it would cost £40+ for each lesson. :/

Edit: BSM charge £27 per hour in my area, better start saving more. :sad:

RE: Driving Test [Now Passed :D] by Vilkku on 04-25-2009 at 01:39 PM

To get a license in Finland you have to pay 1200€ (just under 1100£, or almost 1600$)(depends a bit on the school). If you fail your first test you have to pay extra, as you have to take additional courses every time you fail. Carrying over my "us vs them" car culture conversation from IRC to the forums it seems :P

EDIT: Forgot to include other fees, which was not listed in the price (because you can get those from other places than the school)... 60€ for health check, pass photos and permission to get license, 45€ to drive on the winter handling course, 49€ for the exams, 25€ for the actual license card and 60€ for dark driving course. Totals at 1439€.

RE: Driving Test [Now Passed :D] by Voldemort on 04-25-2009 at 06:53 PM

mexico wins

RE: Driving Test [Now Passed :D] by djdannyp on 04-25-2009 at 10:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Kenji
£19? So its not that bad then... I was getting told it would cost £40+ for each lesson. :/

Edit: BSM charge £27 per hour in my area, better start saving more. :sad:

if you can afford it, BSM will offer a £2 an hour discount if you book 26+ hours of lessons in one go...the discount then also applies to any further lessons booked
RE: Driving Test [Now Passed :D] by toddy on 04-25-2009 at 11:37 PM

bill plant is the best tbh, £56 for 5 lessons

RE: Driving Test [Now Passed :D] by Chris4 on 04-25-2009 at 11:59 PM

quote:
My first instructor was £15 an hour for the first 10 then £18 for 10 after that, so pretty good. But, I couldn't get used to the car, so I'm now with a new instructor and he's also £19 per hour for 10.

Done just over 30 hours now, but I still need a lot of practice before I'm ready. Paid £510 already. Luckily I have some more savings.

No idea how I'm going to afford a car (~£1,000) and insurance (~£2,000).
RE: Driving Test [Now Passed :D] by djdannyp on 04-26-2009 at 12:20 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chris4

In my case, it's God bless Motability
RE: Driving Test [Now Passed :D] by Chris4 on 04-26-2009 at 12:28 AM

quote:
quote:

Is that funding from the government for disabled people?
RE: Driving Test [Now Passed :D] by toddy on 04-26-2009 at 12:43 AM

quote:
quote:
My first instructor was £15 an hour for the first 10 then £18 for 10 after that, so pretty good. But, I couldn't get used to the car, so I'm now with a new instructor and he's also £19 per hour for 10.

Done just over 30 hours now, but I still need a lot of practice before I'm ready. Paid £510 already. Luckily I have some more savings.

best bet for learning is buy a car first, do a few(5) lessons then go out driving with a parent/friend, then go back to lessons to learn passing the test

i only had 10 lessons doing it that way, so cost little over £100 for lessons. rather then spending hundreds on lessons, and having nothing to show for it
RE: Driving Test [Now Passed :D] by djdannyp on 04-27-2009 at 07:34 AM

quote:
quote:
quote:

Is that funding from the government for disabled people?

yeah, if you get the full mobilaty component of the disability living allowance then you're eligible for the scheme.....if you give up your allowance you get:

New car every three years
Insurance
Tax
RAC Cover
Servicing
Adaptation (if necessary...which it is for me)

yeah, that's it i think....so basically all i end up paying is the petrol (and obviously losing my £3k a year allowance).....but it's worth it to be able to get mobile properly.....soooo looking forward to when i've passed
RE: Driving Test [Now Passed :D] by Nathan on 09-28-2009 at 10:35 PM

Sorry to bring up an old thread :)

My lessons are £15 each, which is pretty good and I've already got my car (clio 1.2), insurance was 1.8k though :(. Can't wait to get my license though.

How's your driving going vimto, all good, what car did you get in the end?

RE: Driving Test [Now Passed :D] by toddy on 09-28-2009 at 10:43 PM

quote:
clio
girls car
quote:
My lessons are £15 each
not to bad, i'd still stick to what i said before
quote:
Originally posted by toddy
bill plant is the best tbh, £56 for 5 lessons
even if after the 5 u go to someone else :p

RE: RE: Driving Test [Now Passed :D] by andrewdodd13 on 09-29-2009 at 07:18 AM

quote:
Sorry to bring up an old thread :)

My lessons are £15 each, which is pretty good and I've already got my car (clio 1.2), insurance was 1.8k though :(. Can't wait to get my license though.

How's your driving going vimto, all good, what car did you get in the end?
£1.8k for a Clio? Harshhh man! My 1.3i was only £1.4k, and it's a good chunk faster than a Clio.

Although I'm guessing that'll be cause you're still on a provisional...
RE: RE: RE: Driving Test [Now Passed :D] by Vilkku on 09-29-2009 at 08:23 AM

quote:
Originally posted by andrewdodd13
and it's a good chunk faster than a Clio
...because we all know speed is everything in a car. :dodgy:

I'm not saying Clio is in any way better than whatever you have.
RE: RE: RE: RE: Driving Test [Now Passed :D] by andrewdodd13 on 09-29-2009 at 11:24 AM

quote:
quote:

When it comes to same-category (ie. small hatchback, like both our cars) then generally speed is the main factor in deciding the insurance cost. Although in saying that you may be right - the Clio is a major target for chav upgrades such as 50" alloys and spoilers, so I'd guess that'd bump the insurance up as well.
RE: Driving Test [Now Passed :D] by toddy on 09-29-2009 at 11:32 AM

quote:
quote:
quote:

When it comes to same-category (ie. small hatchback, like both our cars) then generally speed is the main factor in deciding the insurance cost. Although in saying that you may be right - the Clio is a major target for chav upgrades such as 50" alloys and spoilers, so I'd guess that'd bump the insurance up as well.
what car u got ?
RE: RE: Driving Test [Now Passed :D] by andrewdodd13 on 09-29-2009 at 01:32 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

what car u got ?
A grandad car that I don't even want to talk about :)
RE: Driving Test [Now Passed :D] by toddy on 09-29-2009 at 01:45 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

what car u got ?
since you won't tell us the car (so i can't look for myself) what are your claims of "a good chunk faster" based on? if its just the 'size' of your engine, 0.1L makes little difference on its own
RE: Driving Test [Now Passed :D] by Volv on 09-29-2009 at 01:55 PM

[Image: 19_7169363_F34.JPG]

RE: RE: Driving Test [Now Passed :D] by andrewdodd13 on 09-29-2009 at 03:54 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

what car u got ?
since you won't tell us the car (so i can't look for myself) what are your claims of "a good chunk faster" based on? if its just the 'size' of your engine, 0.1L makes little difference on its own
I'm not that naive. The good chunk faster is based on the 0-60 from Parkers. In fact, my uncle has an RX8 which is also a 1.3. :)
RE: Driving Test [Now Passed :D] by toddy on 09-29-2009 at 04:03 PM

good chunk, so thats what 0.5 of a second?

just tell us what car ¬¬

RE: Driving Test [Now Passed :D] by user27089 on 09-29-2009 at 11:37 PM

Belated congratulations.

I passed my test two weeks ago!

2 minors.

I was going for a third, but the driving instructor thought having sex with three children was over the top.

But seriously, I got 2 minor faults.