Shoutbox

Overclocking my CPU - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Overclocking my CPU (/showthread.php?tid=90262)

Overclocking my CPU by Blah.Kid on 04-20-2009 at 02:11 AM

Hey, can anyone tell me what exactly does overclocking your CPU do? I am still a little confused. also, is there an easy way to make my XP run faster?

RE: Overclocking my CPU by ShawnZ on 04-20-2009 at 03:46 AM

instead of your computer doing something every 0.000000416 milliseconds, it does something every 0.000000384 milliseconds (assuming you go from 2.4ghz to 2.6ghz)

RE: Overclocking my CPU by James Potter on 04-20-2009 at 08:50 AM

Overclocking can be useful at times. However, it can be extremely dangerous at many others. Overclocking your CPU could get it heated up faster than before, let alone the obsticles you will undergo trying to figure out what would be the overclocking option that works best for your Processor. Good luck with that. ;)

RE: RE: Overclocking my CPU by andrewdodd13 on 04-20-2009 at 09:58 AM

quote:
Originally posted by James Potter
Overclocking can be useful at times. However, it can be extremely dangerous at many others. Overclocking your CPU could get it heated up faster than before, let alone the obsticles you will undergo trying to figure out what would be the overclocking option that works best for your Processor. Good luck with that. ;)
This is correct, if you don't know what you're doing. In general you should be perfectly safe for 5-10%, I'm actually running my 1.8 GHz E2160 at 3.0GHz, so that's a 67% increase. You can use tools such as OCCT to test that your overclock is stable.

Generally you overclock by changing the FSB setting for the processor in the BIOS. Some manufacturers (ie. Dell, Acer, HP to name but a few) lock you out of their BIOS. This is especially common on laptops. If you have an OEM motherboard though, you should be fine.

Also, some general things to note:
- You will not notice a difference in things like start up time, etc. This is almost always limited by your hard drive. Things that are affected are CPU intensive tasks, such as games and hash checking.
- Generally an overclock will cause more heat to be generated. This isn't necessarily a show-stopper, you may be able to squeeze a few more degrees out it safely.
- If you do overclock too far, you're unlikely to damage your processor unless it is old. Most CPUs have things like Overheat Protection, which causes the PC to switch off/reboot when they get too hot.
- The higher temperatures can reduce the lifespan of your processor.
- Stock coolers usually dissipate a lot less heat than top end 3rd party ones (i.e. Zalman).
- If you overclock too far and the motherboard doesn't POST, switch off the power to the PC, and pull out the CMOS battery for ~5 seconds. (If you're using an enthusiast motherboard you may actually have a CMOS reset switch).
RE: Overclocking my CPU by Mike on 04-20-2009 at 10:47 AM

quote:
Originally posted by andrewdodd13
- If you overclock too far and the motherboard doesn't POST, switch off the power to the PC, and pull out the CMOS battery for ~5 seconds. (If you're using an enthusiast motherboard you may actually have a CMOS reset switch).

Get ASUS :P. It has a CPR feature (CPU Parameter Recall). Remove the power cable for 5 seconds and if your computer didn't POST the last time it turned on, it will say that "Overclocking failed" and will prompt you to enter setup to change the settings.
RE: Overclocking my CPU by John Anderton on 04-20-2009 at 04:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by andrewdodd13
Or have a motherboard like Asus which detects OC failures and allows you to reset the settings with no need to touch jumpers, switches or your battery :)

PS: I hate Mikey :P But he's right :P No need to remove it for 5 seconds.. it detects an improper shutdown and prompts :P (so hitting the reset also causes a prompt only you can press F1 to boot normally or del go into the bios and change your OC :))
RE: Overclocking my CPU by Mike on 04-20-2009 at 06:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
No need to remove it for 5 seconds.. it detects an improper shutdown and prompts :P
My P5B Deluxe doesn't do that afaik :(
RE: Overclocking my CPU by John Anderton on 04-20-2009 at 07:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mike
quote:
No need to remove it for 5 seconds.. it detects an improper shutdown and prompts :P
The P5KPL-E has this. Total win :)
I guess it might be a version thing.. the latest mobo might have a few more improvements :)
RE: Overclocking my CPU by lizard.boy on 04-20-2009 at 08:13 PM

quote:
quote:
Mine Does. Not every restart, but it is very safe in that sense.
RE: Overclocking my CPU by prashker on 04-20-2009 at 08:14 PM

Owned, my 680i LT has that, if I overclock it too much, and it divides by zero, it doesn't post and when I reboot it goes back to default :D

Also, I have never successfully overclocked my machine, I fail too much, I moved it up like 10MHz and it wouldn't post :p

RE: Overclocking my CPU by Mike on 04-20-2009 at 08:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
Also, I have never successfully overclocked my machine, I fail too much, I moved it up like 10MHz and it wouldn't post :p
Increase CPU voltage :P
RE: Overclocking my CPU by prashker on 04-20-2009 at 08:56 PM

quote:
quote:
Increase CPU voltage :P
How much thought?!
RE: Overclocking my CPU by Blah.Kid on 04-20-2009 at 09:01 PM

Here are the specs to my comp, tell me if i am able to do it. id so how? Also, would i have to buy a better fan? does this cost much and is it really needed. I was looking around the lots of people said buying a better fan is needed.

RE: Overclocking my CPU by Kenji on 04-20-2009 at 09:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Blah.Kid
Here are the specs to my comp, tell me if i am able to do it. id so how? Also, would i have to buy a better fan? does this cost much and is it really needed. I was looking around the lots of people said buying a better fan is needed.
Good luck.
RE: RE: Overclocking my CPU by Blah.Kid on 04-20-2009 at 09:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Kenji
quote:
Good luck.

That not very helpful, can someone please be more helpful than this guy. But thanks for the luck :)
RE: Overclocking my CPU by Kenji on 04-20-2009 at 09:45 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:
Good luck.

That not very helpful, can someone please be more helpful than this guy. But thanks for the luck :)
You can't overclock that pos. Hence the good luck.
RE: Overclocking my CPU by lizard.boy on 04-20-2009 at 09:48 PM

In order to overclock you need an enthusiast motherboard. A general rule of thumb is that a computer made by Hp/Dell/Lenovo/Acer/whatever will not have overclocking functionality.

RE: Overclocking my CPU by Blah.Kid on 04-20-2009 at 10:16 PM

So theres no possibility whatsoever?

RE: Overclocking my CPU by Kenji on 04-20-2009 at 11:54 PM

quote:
No, unless you find some software and the PID for your motherboard. But doing it this way is very risky, and even if it does work you will only get a few MHz with it.
RE: Overclocking my CPU by Blah.Kid on 04-20-2009 at 11:59 PM

ok, thank you all for the information. I will try to speed up my computer some other way, would buying an extra 1gb of RAM help a lot or not really currently i have 2gb on my XP

RE: Overclocking my CPU by James Potter on 04-21-2009 at 02:14 AM

quote:
ok, thank you all for the information. I will try to speed up my computer some other way, would buying an extra 1gb of RAM help a lot or not really currently i have 2gb on my XP
What's the maximum your motherboard could hold?
A one extra gigabyte would help, but would definitely not add much to your Windows experiences, meaning this will not 'speed it up' or have a massive impact speed-wise, as far as I have experienced.
RE: RE: Overclocking my CPU by Blah.Kid on 04-21-2009 at 02:20 AM

quote:
quote:
A one extra gigabyte would help, but would definitely not add much to your Windows experiences, meaning this will not 'speed it up' or have a massive impact speed-wise, as far as I have experienced.

The max my mobo can hold is 4gb. but why would you need to know that?

Im just asking if it will do enough to make a huge difference.
RE: Overclocking my CPU by James Potter on 04-21-2009 at 02:24 AM

quote:
quote:
quote:

The max my mobo can hold is 4gb. but why would you need to know that?

Im just asking if it will do enough to make a huge difference.
Why upgrade one more GB if it could hold up to two more? 2GB would make greater difference, that is, more recognisable difference than 1GB does, your system could well be a bit fater then.
RE: Overclocking my CPU by lizard.boy on 04-21-2009 at 02:35 AM

quote:
Why upgrade one more GB if it could hold up to two more? 2GB would make greater difference, that is, more recognisable difference than 1GB does, your system could well be a bit fater then.

However, because of address space issues with 32 bit windows XP, not all 4gb would then be usable, so it's not really worth it unless the ram is dirt cheap.
RE: Overclocking my CPU by prashker on 04-21-2009 at 04:31 AM

quote:
Originally posted by lizard.boy
quote:

However, because of address space issues with 32 bit windows XP, not all 4gb would then be usable, so it's not really worth it unless the ram is dirt cheap.

PAE...
RE: Overclocking my CPU by Adeptus on 04-21-2009 at 05:48 AM

quote:
1) RAM is dirt cheap.

2) Dual channel -- with most motherboards, there is a performance advantage to installing memory in matched pairs.  He could install 2x512MB, but that would probably be silly.
RE: Overclocking my CPU by Mike on 04-21-2009 at 08:22 AM

quote:
How much thought?!
One step.
RE: Overclocking my CPU by John Anderton on 04-21-2009 at 10:34 AM

quote:
Originally posted by nimicitor
Add more RAM.
Please explain what does adding more RAM have to do with OCing the processor. :dodgy:

quote:
quote:
quote:
Mine Does. Not every restart, but it is very safe in that sense.
yeah its safe. And its just a small beep to let you know.. just press F1 and the booting continues. I hardly ever restart so I don't care :P

quote:
quote:
No, unless you find some software and the PID for your motherboard. But doing it this way is very risky, and even if it does work you will only get a few MHz with it.
Been there, done that, voided the warranty on my Intel mobo.. sent it in and they said "can't help you.. physical damage". There were burn marks on it despite it having immediately froze causing me to reboot in 5 seconds and there being no burning marks at the time :)
As soon as I hit reboot, I never got the display back. EVER. Checked my GC and it was fine. Neither the on board display point nor my graphic card would give me output..

So I went out and bought an Asus Mobo.. never been happier since :D

Moral of the story: OCing through software is VERY risky and is not recommended unless your Mobo Manufacturer provides you with a software to do it (I remember kao had an MSI board which allowed him to do that).
Unless you have an enthusiast board and RAM/processor/cooling that can take the OC, I suggest you don't do it. In my system, the bottleneck is certainly the RAM. It goes from 800->900MHz and that's it. Any higher and it refuses to boot :)
RE: RE: Overclocking my CPU by andrewdodd13 on 04-21-2009 at 11:55 AM

quote:
quote:
quote:

PAE...
Yeah, the Compaq BIOS is going to be a bit hard to overclock. They lock you out deliberately to prevent overclocking. :)

PAE isn't enabled on XP32. Only the high end versions of Windows Server 2003 support it. The most XP will detect is 4GB - Video memory, although I've never seen it give more than 3.5GB.

I would always recommend 1 if not 2GB on Windows XP now. 4GB if XP-64.

@Mike / JA
I actually have an ASUS motherboard, I never realised that's what the Overclock Failed means. I used to get it randomly, I probably accidentally rebooted and powered off during POST. :)
RE: Overclocking my CPU by Mike on 04-21-2009 at 12:57 PM

quote:
In my system, the bottleneck is certainly the RAM. It goes from 800->900MHz and that's it. Any higher and it refuses to boot :)
Increase RAM voltage :P
When I still had my 667MHz RAM, my computer wouldn't POST after a certain FSB speed. Increasing the RAM voltage made it POST but it was unstable, unstable, unstable (random freezes/BSODs). I didn't try to increase it more, because (afaik) it isn't possible to check RAM temperature, and I didn't feel like frying my RAM.

Now that I have a 800MHz RAM, I can overclock beyond that point without having to increase voltage. I am happily running my E6400 from 2.13GHz to 3GHz right now (I can probably OC more, but I never tried) :)