Shoutbox

Xbox 360 - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Xbox 360 (/showthread.php?tid=90321)

Xbox 360 by Spunky on 04-23-2009 at 02:43 PM

Ok, so as you may have noticed from the new avatar and sig, someone got a new XBox the other day :p So far I've not had much opportunity to play on it, which is why I have such a low gamerscore at the moment.

Basically, I only have 2 games that came with it, PGR4 and Sega Superstar Tennis. I've borrowed a few including Smackdown vs. Raw, Call of Duty: World something blah, Viking and a few others. I want to get Burnout: Paradise, but can anybody recommend some good games, that don't make you buy loads of maps or cars or whatever.

I also connected it up to my PC for file sharing and stuff, can anybody recommend anything cool to do with it from there?

To be honest though, the XBox isn't quite what I was expecting, especially the size of it (even though I've seen one before), the size of the power pack (part of the cable), and what the hell happened to the Dashboard. I know I haven't really been keeping up with the XBox much, but didn't it used to appear at the side of the screen?

Apart from that I'm loving it. I've got a funky wireless controller (getting a pink one for the other half), 60GB HDD (Got the middle package XBox), a slightly different design of headset (to what my brother-in-law has anyway...).

Also, feel free to add SpunkyLoveMuff to your friends, I might be able to play some games with people I know and get shown around :p

RE: Xbox 360 by Jimbo on 04-23-2009 at 03:09 PM

The new dashboard came out on the 19th November.
Its The New Xbox Experience. It took some time getting used to but i love it now :)

The shape of the xbox at first does seem pretty bulky, but you get used to it. I would recommend you lay it flat if possible as I have heard that the fans provide better ventilation with the xbox laying flat.

About games, COD:WAW is pretty awesome, the new Nazi Zombie map is a lot better than the shipped one, so I highly recommend that.

If you like shooters, get Gears of War 2 aswell. Thats one of my favourite games. When it was first released, the online play was laggy as hell, so many glitches and just basically sucked, but since the new Title Update 3, it has drastically improved and is really fun now with the new 1-100 leveling system. If you buy a new copy of the game you will get a free Flashback map pack code, but then there are also 2 other map packs available; Combustible, and Snowblind, both of which are pretty awesome :D

Resident Evil 5 is also a great game if your a fan of the series xD

Another game coming out in June which I have pre-ordered is Prototype. It just looks super bad-ass.

COD:MW2 (Modern warfare 2) is coming out this november so I recommend getting that aswell if you like COD:WAW.

Also feel free to add me if you like. Gamertag is Jimboodude. Have fun :P

RE: Xbox 360 by stoshrocket on 04-23-2009 at 03:11 PM

I love the new dashboard, I only tested out my free 1-month gold last month (just expired a week ago when I came back to uni) and I had to update the dash.

Halo 3 is a good game; very good storyline, and a lot of playability online after completion. Bungie have released a couple of new map packs and i think one map, the standalone map and one of the map packs is free.

Add stoshrocket to your friends if you want, although I won't be able to accept you and play till I get back home in June and get my subscription up again.

RE: Xbox 360 by Jimbo on 04-23-2009 at 03:14 PM

Yeah, how could I forget about Halo 3. Thats a pretty cool game, especially if theres a group of you playing it. Theres also Halo Wars if you like RTS games, which I personally don't.

RE: Xbox 360 by Eddie on 04-23-2009 at 03:58 PM

Don't bother with World at War, come November, the play-base for that game will be horrible.
I reccomend Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, very intense storyline, and a great multiplayer, except for a few things.
Watch out for Modern Warfare 2 as well, its not actually a Call of Duty game, as the series (Modern Warfare) is branching off on its own with Infinity Ward being the only developer.
If your into RPG games i would also suggest Fallout 3, its not a multiplayer game at all but is a very fun game to play once you get into it.

I dont reccomend Resident Evil 5, if your into multiplayer, because it is absolutely horrible, we have had a lot of people at ebGames bring it back complaining about the multiplayer.

RE: Xbox 360 by Spunky on 04-23-2009 at 04:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by nimicitor
What cable do you use to connect to the TV?

Just the normal RCA cables (Red, Yellow and White); I don't have a HD TV

I got Outrun on there, but I think it's only a demo :p My Gf downloaded it
RE: Xbox 360 by Eddie on 04-23-2009 at 04:53 PM

quote:
Mirror's Edge is fantastic.

Virtual Tennis 3 is great too (VT 2009 is out end of May) and Outrun Online Arcade.

What cable do you use to connect to the TV?

On a side note M$ are quite harsh when it comes to gamertags so you might be forced to change yours when the next wave comes.
Doubt it, ive seen a lot worse in terms of Gamertags, unless Spunky gets very unfortunate.

And Mirrors Edge is a game you either hate or love, im not a fan personally but i know a fair few of people who are.
RE: Xbox 360 by Eddie on 04-23-2009 at 05:52 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Spunky
Just the normal RCA cables (Red, Yellow and White); I don't have a HD TV

I got Outrun on there, but I think it's only a demo :p My Gf downloaded it

You can get a much better picture with the VGA cable if you have a port on your TV.

Downloading demos before you buy a game is the best way to do things, especially with arcade games.

quote:
Originally posted by Eddie

And Mirrors Edge is a game you either hate or love, im not a fan personally but i know a fair few of people who are.

True, but you could say that about any game I guess. The best thing is to try before you buy.
The good thing about ebGames Australia (not advertising my workplace here lol) is that if you buy a game, you have between 7-14 days to take it back :) and get a full refund, which is awesome. Dunno whats its like in England though.
RE: Xbox 360 by Spunky on 04-23-2009 at 06:32 PM

Most stores don't accept games back any more, but will trade them in (meaning you get about £6 back for a Wii game ^o))

RE: Xbox 360 by NanoChromatic on 04-23-2009 at 08:19 PM

Some good games

XBLA:
Peggle - Addictive as hell :P
The Dishwasher - Dead Samurai - fun game.
Castle Crashers - Everyone should have this game. :D
A Few more...

Retail:
CoD 4/5
L4D - Survival is win honestly. (Glitchy, But fun.)
Res 5
GTA IV - Jsut got it, Seems pretty fun.
Halo 3 - Good online and good campaign.
King Kong - "         "
Blue Dragon - 3 Disks, Alot of replayability. (Hard achievements though.)
Guitar Hero 4
GH - Mettalica

I could go on for a while just cant be bothered atm.

RE: Xbox 360 by Voldemort on 04-23-2009 at 09:07 PM

try winamp's orb, and buy halo 123

RE: Xbox 360 by Volv on 04-24-2009 at 03:01 PM

Burnout: Paradise is amazing even without buying cars (I recommend you getting some decent single player time to build your collection though).
Mass Effect
Fallout 3
Lost Odyssey if you're a Japanese RPG fan (which I'm not but I still loved this game, best jRPG for the 360)
Kameo: Elements of Power (by Rare), wanted to mix it up by getting an N64-esque game. Was a suprisingly fun puzzle-ish game, kind of short though.

Do not buy:
Gears of War

RE: Xbox 360 by Discrate on 04-25-2009 at 04:23 PM

hitman: blood money owns

RE: Xbox 360 by user27089 on 04-27-2009 at 12:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Discrate
You can get that game for around £5 now, and it's definitely worth the buy, it's a very fun game indeed. I particularly like the ending, when the credits are rolling ;).

You should get Resident Evil 5, I've been playing it non-stop since I got it on my birthday.
RE: RE: Xbox 360 by Discrate on 04-27-2009 at 04:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
quote:
Originally posted by Discrate
You can get that game for around £5 now, and it's definitely worth the buy, it's a very fun game indeed. I particularly like the ending, when the credits are rolling ;).

You should get Resident Evil 5, I've been playing it non-stop since I got it on my birthday.

Yeh, when i got it i played it nonstop for months, its very replayable. Different things you can do.
RE: Xbox 360 by Spunky on 04-27-2009 at 07:41 PM

I made a mistake. My son won't stop listening to the "Still Alive" song from the Portal credits ^o) And there was cake! I thought it was a lie? :p

RE: Xbox 360 by Sonar on 04-28-2009 at 09:28 PM

Some games that are good to play.

For those who like build and construction with a bit laughter.

Viva Pinata
Viva Pinata - Party Animals
Viva Pinata - Trouble In Paradise

ThrillVille Of The Rails - Theme Park Addict

RE: Xbox 360 by Spunky on 04-29-2009 at 05:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Sonar
ThrillVille Of The Rails - Theme Park Addict

Got Thrillville for the Wii and it's a pretty decent game, it can get annoying though :p
RE: Xbox 360 by prashker on 04-29-2009 at 11:43 AM

ThrillVille for the Original Xbox was horrible, I don't trust the sequel :p

RE: Xbox 360 by gosgirl on 05-06-2009 at 02:17 AM

Halo 3 is a good game; very good storyline, and a lot of playability online after completion. Bungie have released a couple of new map packs and i think one map, the standalone map and one of the map packs is free.

RE: Xbox 360 by vaccination on 05-06-2009 at 08:42 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Volv

Do not buy:
Gears of War
wrong
RE: Xbox 360 by stoshrocket on 05-06-2009 at 08:51 AM

quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
quote:

Do not buy:
Gears of War
wrong
Seconded.

I have both GoW games, found them both highly enjoyable. The online playability isn't as good as something like Halo or the COD games, but it's still an overall good game.
RE: Xbox 360 by Shiny Rabbit on 05-06-2009 at 04:37 PM

Crackdown is a good game, as is Unreal Tournament 3, Racedriver Grid is pretty good if you like racing games

Blue Dragon, as has been said already is good, I beat it last week and I'm playing through again to get the achievements I missed and there are some daft bits in there as well

Gears of War 1/2 online is fun in short bursts but I much prefer Halo 3 and CoD:WaW

Perfect Dark Zero can be quite fun as well

I'll try to remember to add you on XBL later, my GT is Esqualax444

RE: Xbox 360 by Volv on 05-07-2009 at 08:15 AM

quote:
Originally posted by methos
quote:
quote:

Do not buy:
Gears of War
wrong
Seconded.

I have both GoW games, found them both highly enjoyable. The online playability isn't as good as something like Halo or the COD games, but it's still an overall good game.
What? If the multiplayer isn't good then what does this game have to offer? Story is crapola and gameplay is meh.
RE: RE: Xbox 360 by Phillip on 05-07-2009 at 11:07 AM

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Do not buy:
Gears of War
wrong
Seconded.

What? If the multiplayer isn't good then what does this game have to offer? Story is crapola and gameplay is meh.
Your taste is games is horrible.

Grid is a really fun racing game. It's what I used to play most on my Xbox 360 till some little coon stole it.
RE: Xbox 360 by stoshrocket on 05-07-2009 at 01:49 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Do not buy:
Gears of War
wrong
Seconded.

I never said it wasn't good, I said it wasn't as good as Halo or COD online gameplay, both of which I can pick up at any time and spend quite a long time messing about on different maps with different playlists. Whereas, the GoW online is good, it's a great game with a healthy online following, but when it comes down to it, imo, Halo and COD are better. Quite frankly, they're all good games.
RE: Xbox 360 by toto69230 on 05-19-2009 at 07:06 PM

COD 4
Skate 2
Fallout 3
Halo 1 (the best !!(xx)) !!

RE: Xbox 360 by elle.bee on 06-01-2009 at 01:54 AM

Gears of war is the best game on live. End of (H)

RE: Xbox 360 by stoshrocket on 06-01-2009 at 04:17 PM

While this thread's been revived, I've been thinking about getting mirror's edge, anyone played it and have an opinion? (I'm looking at you nimicitor :P)

RE: Xbox 360 by Eddie on 06-01-2009 at 04:26 PM

quote:
While this thread's been revived, I've been thinking about getting mirror's edge, anyone played it and have an opinion? (I'm looking at you nimicitor :P)
I don't think its that great, it becomes very boring because it is the same thing over and over again, the wow effect of the game slowly fades away as the game goes on. So personally i don't really suggest it.
RE: Xbox 360 by djdannyp on 06-01-2009 at 05:43 PM

quote:

i got it a few months ago on PS3 for like £15 and just started playing it yesterday...it's pretty decent so far....pretty unique control system, etc.  the graphics aren't exactly groundbreaking, although it's done in a way that it doesn't matter.

i can't comment on the longevity, but it doesn't seem like one of those epic games that is gonna be 20-30 hours, more like a 6-7 hour game, that's if you go for the achievements and stuff

if you can get it cheaply (similar price to what i got on PS3) then i'd say go for it
RE: Xbox 360 by stoshrocket on 06-01-2009 at 08:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Eddie
quote:
I don't think its that great, it becomes very boring because it is the same thing over and over again, the wow effect of the game slowly fades away as the game goes on. So personally i don't really suggest it.
quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp
quote:

i got it a few months ago on PS3 for like £15 and just started playing it yesterday...it's pretty decent so far....pretty unique control system, etc.  the graphics aren't exactly groundbreaking, although it's done in a way that it doesn't matter.

i can't comment on the longevity, but it doesn't seem like one of those epic games that is gonna be 20-30 hours, more like a 6-7 hour game, that's if you go for the achievements and stuff

if you can get it cheaply (similar price to what i got on PS3) then i'd say go for it
eh, I thought this much, from the looks of it it looks like it's all the same routine in the end... Although I saw it for a tenner so I think I'm gonna get it regardless... Think it's worth it for how cheap it is. Thanks ;d
RE: Xbox 360 by Jimbo on 06-02-2009 at 10:54 AM

Anyone watch / go to Microsoft's E3 conference yesterday?

I have to say, Project Natal looks really exciting. Left 4 Dead 2, Asassin's Creed 2 and Halo Reach look really awesome. Still a bit skeptical about L4D2 though since the only thing added, that we have been told so far, are new weapons, and new campaigns, which could just be made into DLC.

RE: Xbox 360 by Eddie on 06-02-2009 at 10:58 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo
Anyone watch / go to Microsoft's E3 conference yesterday?

I have to say, Project Natal looks really exciting. Left 4 Dead 2, Asassin's Creed 2 and Halo Reach look really awesome. Still a bit skeptical about L4D2 though since the only thing added, that we have been told so far, are new weapons, and new campaigns, which could just be made into DLC.
I have to agree that Project Natal looks great, seems that they have done a lot of work there and if it acts like it looks then it will be very impressive. I liked the look of MW2 as well, not much of a halo kid myself or AC2 and i thought L4D2 looked very dodge, Alan Wake and Splinter Cell looked alright though.

Edit: 2000 posts :o)
RE: Xbox 360 by prashker on 06-02-2009 at 11:18 AM

quote:
Still a bit skeptical about L4D2 though since the only thing added, that we have been told so far, are new weapons, and new campaigns, which could just be made into DLC.
Who gives a shit, it's Valve, anything is amazing, they could make a "Suck My Penis" game and it'd sell :p

I saw just Natal part last night, it was ok....stupid companies trying to make me exercise.

Halo: Reach is going to be epic also (looking forward to ODST also).

For anyone who missed it Live, thanks to Volv for telling me, they are available here :p

quote:
Asassin's Creed 2
I still have to beat the first :sad: Same with BioShock (STUPID GAME FREEZING DURING SAVE)

I will watch the whole thing when I get back from school today ;> (and maybe enjoy Toy Story 2 :banana:)
RE: Xbox 360 by Volv on 06-04-2009 at 04:36 PM

Rundown I made of Microsoft's E3 Press Conference if anyone's interested (please note that this only lists what was shown at the official press conference and not the 360's entire lineup):

Green = games I'm personally excited for

The Beatles Rock Band
Tony Hawk's Ride
Modern Warfare 2
Joy Ride (XBLA, for free)
Epic's game (XBLA)
Crackdown 2 (360)
Left4Dead 2 - Nov 17 (PC/360)
Splinter Cell: Conviction - Fall 2009 (360)

Forza 3 - Oct (360)
Halo: ODST - Sep 22 (360) + invitation to Halo: Reach multiplayer beta
Halo Reach - 2010 (360) I personally don't find ODST very appealing, Reach seems like a better storyline/setting
Alan Wake - Spring 2010 (PC/360)

Metal Gear Solid: Rising (360/PS3)

last.fm integration for XBL Gold members
Netflix browsing/queuing/playing directly from 360
Sky TV for UK and Ireland (live TV with no additional hardware)
Zune Video (1080p streaming + doubling # of countries with video store)
All movies/tv/music capable of sharing with friends on XBL
Facebook/twitter - Fall 2009

Project Natal (advanced motion cam + voice recognition thing)
Project Milo (silly tamagotchi-like game based around Natal)

Sony's E3 Press Conference - PS3 ONLY (does not include random clips which were shown without a game title) for comparison:

Green = games I'm personally interested in

Uncharted 2 (PS3)
MAG (PS3)
Agent - new Rockstar title (PS3)
Assassin's Creed 2 (360/PS3) <-- not sure if this will be good or not
Final Fantasy 13 (360/PS3)
Final Fantasy 14: Online (PS3)
ModNation Racers (PS3)
The Last Guardian - from Team ICO (PS3)
Gran Turismo 5
God of War 3

Motion Controller

Electronic Arts (NOTE: this list is not all games shown at EA's press conference, only those I'm personally interested in or excited for)

Dante's Inferno (360/PS3/PC)
Need for Speed: SHIFT (360/PS3/PC)
Dragon Age: Origins - Oct 20 (360/PS3/PC)
Mass Effect 2 (360 - other platforms not yet announced but very possible)
The Saboteur (interested, but definitely need more convincing)
Brutal Legend
Crysis 2 (360/PS3/PC)
Star Wars: The Old Republic (PC mmorpg) - THE MOST EPIC TRAILER EVER (especially if you know a bit about Star Wars lore): http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-09-star-wars/49937