Shoutbox

We want to hear from YOU! - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Announcements (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+---- Forum: Announcements & News (/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+----- Thread: We want to hear from YOU! (/showthread.php?tid=90354)

We want to hear from YOU! by Patchou on 04-25-2009 at 10:36 PM

Hi,

I admit it, at first, it was fun to count the years. But now, like for a kid who has grown older, it seems that Messenger Plus!’s childhood is over as the intervals between its birthdays become less and less significant and noticeable. 8 years now my friends, yep… 8 years. What’s even more surprising, at least to me, is that I still feel the need to do more, much more with this software. Considering the massive amount of people who use it every day, it’s incredible to think about all the possibilities that are still left to tap into. Messenger Plus! has grown way past its original intended life span and version 5 will mark the beginning of something new, different, and more satisfying for everybody.

Speaking of version 5, while I’m still working on the schematics, I thought I could make this step more interactive than I’m used to. The question I want to ask you today is: What do you think of Messenger Plus! ? Do you like it, hate it? I often read articles about the software, or even about myself, but for once, I would like my users to give me their honest, true, unfiltered opinion. It's also a great way to share your ideas of anything you would like to see in the next major update of your Messenger add-on (although the forum is always available all year long for that purpose).

It can be a single word as well as two pages of text, in English or in French, and I promize to read it all, positive or negative, whether I get 10 answers or 10,000. Also, if you visit forums or blogs as part of your daily internet routine, don't hesitate to talk about this and bring more people to this news post. Hopefully, this little exercise will also help make a better software and bring better support to those who need it in the future. Thank you!

To send your message, please use the form at http://www.msgpluslive.net/news/2009/04/25/hear-from-you/ .

RE: We want to hear from YOU! by warmth on 04-25-2009 at 10:42 PM

:D yeahhhhh baby... hear this from me... HB MP!L ;)

RE: We want to hear from YOU! by blessedguy on 04-25-2009 at 10:58 PM

Happy birthday MsgPlus! =)
(And good luck Patchou... you'll have a lot of stuff to do now for the years to come =P )

RE: We want to hear from YOU! by Andylongi on 04-25-2009 at 11:05 PM

Happy Birthday MP you are doin a really great Job Patchou i hope the new Version will be out soon but pls dont hurry.

RE: We want to hear from YOU! by Menthix on 04-25-2009 at 11:06 PM

I hate Plus! in put all these viruses on mah PC!! :(

RE: We want to hear from YOU! by Discrate on 04-25-2009 at 11:12 PM

Happy birthday msg plus.

oh and woot, finally i can send abusive letters to patchou.

RE: We want to hear from YOU! by Hank on 04-26-2009 at 12:08 AM

Goodluck with MPL5 Patch, even though i dont use Windows Live messenger much nowadays having MPL is a great Addon

RE: We want to hear from YOU! by Jarrod on 04-26-2009 at 12:31 AM

I have to agree with you Patchou in the sense, when you say plus has grown up. I have plus installed on my boot camp partition, and I do like the skinning aspect, and I used to love the way people can write scripts, so that my messenger could do something all my friends couldn't, but now that we are at 8 years, I think plus's novelty is deteriorating, skins were a good addition to plus but we need something new feature wise. or you could just release an OSX edition (a)

RE: We want to hear from YOU! by blessedguy on 04-26-2009 at 12:47 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Jarrod
we need something new feature wise.
Any suggestions/thoughts?
RE: We want to hear from YOU! by MeEtc on 04-26-2009 at 01:14 AM

Expect a long-ish letter from me at some point.

RE: We want to hear from YOU! by Chrono on 04-26-2009 at 01:39 AM

happy bday Plus! :cheesy: Congrats pitcho

RE: We want to hear from YOU! by NanaFreak on 04-26-2009 at 01:42 AM

HBD!

also i will be writing a average length email to you... well by average probably like a 400-800 word thing... :D

its great that you are doing this... though i would hate to be in your position of reading them all =p

RE: We want to hear from YOU! by Jarrod on 04-26-2009 at 01:48 AM

quote:
Originally posted by blessedguy
quote:
Originally posted by Jarrod
we need something new feature wise.
Any suggestions/thoughts?
nope
RE: We want to hear from YOU! by Eddie on 04-26-2009 at 06:25 AM

Congrats Patchou on ever-lasting success with your work. And Happy Birthday to Messenger Plus! :) 8 years is quite a feat, and im very impressed!

RE: We want to hear from YOU! by Basilis on 04-26-2009 at 08:35 AM

Happy birthday Plus!

RE: We want to hear from YOU! by Th3rmal on 04-26-2009 at 08:41 AM

Congrats :D Ill hopefully be sending you some suggestions or something soon :)

Btw...whos "We"?

RE: We want to hear from YOU! by James Potter on 04-26-2009 at 10:16 AM

Message sent. :)

Here's what I sent:

quote:
Dear Cyril,
    I would love to congratulate you for the massive success Messenger Plus! has gained over the past eight years.  I have never expected to see freeware software stay alive for as many years as Messenger Plus!.  Messenger Plus! has gained a massive success since its initial release, and the amount of users is increasing daily.  It is a joy to all of us, the hardcore Messenger users, to see such a powerful extension be developed and be actively worked on to satisfy us.  I would hereby like to thank you for looking forward to what your users desire in an add-on, instead of looking into what you, the developer, would like to see in your own software.  As per your request, you wanted your users to review your software, so here is mine:
    Messenger Plus! is an amazing piece of software that always made the Messenger experience more fun and delightful with the extra, useful features it added to Microsoft’s Instant Messaging application.  Many of the critics have reviewed your software negatively, claiming that it has adware in it, which affects users’ computers with enormous amounts of advertisements.  To an extent, I do agree with their reviews, because if you look at it from an ignorant user’s eye, you would see that they just Hit and Run, meaning, they do not read anything in the setup window.  For all they do is press, “Next,” “Install the sponsor (thank you!),” “I agree,” “Next,” Install,” ignoring the fact that the sponsor is optional, thus end up installing it unwittingly.  I suggest that you display an alert message when they approach the screen that asks whether to install the sponsor or not.  This alert message would make the users aware that they are about to choose whether to install an optional sponsor to support the developer, or just reject to install it.
    I remember in the past that TheSteve had coded something for ‘real-time’ Messenger skinning, meaning, you would apply the skin, then close and re-open the contact list window and your skin will be applied, no need to restart Messenger.  If Messenger Plus! could implement this “feature,” then that would be extremely great. “Chat-Only Names” is another cool feature to be added, many other add-ons have adopted it, and it is time for Messenger Plus! to adopt it as well. Would you also consider extending the Messenger patching options that Messenger Plus! has, please?
    Messenger Plus!, as I see it, is a full-featured software package, I cannot see what else can be added that would make your users more satisfied.  Maybe consider making Messenger Plus! a cross-platform software?  Messenger for Mac is so dull without Messenger Plus!.  I am not a Macintosh user myself, but I am sure that those who use Mac OS would be more than happy to test it.
    In conclusion, Messenger Plus! has gained so much so success over the past eight years, and will hopefully proceed in this manner.  I wish you best of luck with your software, and hopefully awaiting to see an improved version of Messenger Plus!.  Keep up with your worthy efforts.

---
Yours faithfully,
James Potter

:P.
RE: We want to hear from YOU! by Jarrod on 04-26-2009 at 10:38 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Th3rmal

Btw...whos "We"?
I was wondering that myself,

maybe pachy has an army of Oompa-Loompas coding plus for him
RE: We want to hear from YOU! by James Potter on 04-26-2009 at 02:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Th3rmal

Btw...whos "We"?
Pitcho and Plus! Babe, remember her, anyone? :P
Or are matty and CookieRevised signed up for this, too? :P
RE: We want to hear from YOU! by tony on 04-26-2009 at 02:57 PM

We as in he and me ¬_¬

RE: We want to hear from YOU! by robert_dll on 04-26-2009 at 04:16 PM

HB Plus! and good luck with Plus! 5 :banana:

RE: We want to hear from YOU! by Patchou on 04-26-2009 at 05:41 PM

100 comments received already :-)

RE: We want to hear from YOU! by blessedguy on 04-26-2009 at 05:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
That's something =P
I'll write later, just waiting some friends to send me what they think so will translate it for them =)
RE: We want to hear from YOU! by warmth on 04-26-2009 at 05:48 PM

2 from me :P jajajaja

RE: We want to hear from YOU! by Voldemort on 04-26-2009 at 06:40 PM

I've been here for four years of those 8... and using plus! much more than that... Patchou, you make me feel old.

RE: We want to hear from YOU! by mynetx on 04-26-2009 at 06:58 PM

quote:
quote:
I promize to read it all, positive or negative, whether I get 10 answers or 10,000
Are you sure you can keep up with them?
RE: We want to hear from YOU! by blessedguy on 04-26-2009 at 07:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mynetx
quote:
quote:
I promize to read it all, positive or negative, whether I get 10 answers or 10,000
Are you sure you can keep up with them?
He didn't mention for how long this form would be available =)
RE: We want to hear from YOU! by mynetx on 04-26-2009 at 07:11 PM

quote:
I made a copy in my blog...
RE: We want to hear from YOU! by prashker on 04-26-2009 at 08:15 PM

quote:
quote:
I made a copy in my blog...
Unless msgpluslive.net goes down, and even though it is official, it's pretty useless ;<
RE: We want to hear from YOU! by Menthix on 04-26-2009 at 08:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
Unless msgpluslive.net goes down, and even though it is official, it's pretty useless ;<
Also, I'd hope for Patchou's mental state the form sends these messages to a temporary mailaccount, at which point copies won't work any longer if the mailaccount is shut down.
RE: RE: We want to hear from YOU! by Discrate on 04-26-2009 at 08:26 PM

quote:

you got all 100 of my comments? thats good.
RE: We want to hear from YOU! by mynetx on 04-26-2009 at 08:28 PM

Outlook sorting rules ftw?

RE: We want to hear from YOU! by blessedguy on 04-26-2009 at 08:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Menthix
Also, I'd hope for Patchou's mental state the form sends these messages to a temporary mailaccount, at which point copies won't work any longer if the mailaccount is shut down.
Any truth in that Patchou? :chrongue:
RE: We want to hear from YOU! by Menthix on 04-26-2009 at 08:39 PM

quote:
Outlook sorting rules ftw?
Why filter things if you can can avoid it from ever receiving? :)
RE: We want to hear from YOU! by Nagamasa on 04-27-2009 at 12:19 AM

HBD Plus!!

I'll be saying something soon...but I have 2 essays to write beforehand... :(

RE: We want to hear from YOU! by jipai on 04-28-2009 at 10:52 AM

Salut patchou, je te remerci pour ces longues année avec Messenger Plus et maintenant Message live plus :)

Même si je n'utilise pas beaucoup les scripts, je pense que certains ont le mérites de faire parti intégrante de MPL.

Je tiens à préciser que je ne suis pas développer donc mes idées sont à prendre à la légère entre ce qui est faisable, ou non.

Laisser la possibilité au utilisateurs d'utiliser leur webcam avec plus d'un utilisateur. une sorte de mini soft qui recupère l'image de la webcam et pourquoi pas aussi le son du micro, et " redistribue " aux contacts. ca pourrait peu être même permetre d'ajouté d'éventuel effet visuel aux webcam, voir meme des effets sonores via addons/scripts. Un système comme ca pourrait faire aussi office (avec de la bidouille) de conférence Audio/vidéo à plusieurs

Essayer de dépasser la limites des 3 téléchargements simultanés maximum ce que fait déjà un autre programme/scripts qui s'utilise uniquement AVEC Plus live dont je ne me rappel plus le nom ce qui commence à faire lourd.

Optimisez la fonction appuyer pour parler (F2) pouvoir enregistrer un message de plus de 10secondes(pas sur de la durée).
Et si c'est plus "simple" par exemple sur une temps de parole d'une minutes divisé en plusieurs petit messages audio.

Toujours en rapport avec un autre script/addons le fait de simplement cliqué sur sont pseudo  dans la page "principal" pour changer celui-ci.
Meme systeme pour personnaliser les noms des contactes, un clique pour changer les noms de contacts comme sous windows.

Offrir la possibilité d'enlever certains options, boutons et pubs propres à WLM.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For many people that don't speak french

I asked if MPLV could have some new feature:
Ability to use your webcam and microphone with more than one contact.
Bypass of the simultaneous download with WLM (its 3 at moment)
Optimize F2 funciton (push to talk) recording more than a 10~ seconds msg.
Changing your own nickname by clicking on it on the main page.
Ability to change your contacts nickname by a windows-like clicking.
Ability to remove some bottom/features/ads from WLM that are useless.
And even if i don't use scripts some of them could be in MPL definitely.

RE: We want to hear from YOU! by Mistrael on 04-29-2009 at 02:50 PM

Keep it up Patchou your work is greatly appreciated for tons of us ^^;

RE: We want to hear from YOU! by Chancer on 04-30-2009 at 02:12 AM

When using tabbed convos, sometimes I want do de-attach one window, but it's not possible (or is it?). You could add an option: if I drag the tab out of the window, that convo will reopen in a new window.

RE: We want to hear from YOU! by NanaFreak on 04-30-2009 at 03:08 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chancer
When using tabbed convos, sometimes I want do de-attach one window, but it's not possible (or is it?). You could add an option: if I drag the tab out of the window, that convo will reopen in a new window.
i already put that in my message to him =D
RE: We want to hear from YOU! by djdannyp on 04-30-2009 at 06:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by NanaFreak
quote:
Originally posted by Chancer
i already put that in my message to him =D

yep, me too....it was all about the tabs stuff for me....re-ordering tabs too
RE: We want to hear from YOU! by mynetx on 05-03-2009 at 12:53 PM

Sent this mail just now.

Hey Patchou,

I thought when you ask for feedback and promise to read it,...

Back on April 1, 2007, I had been searching for a Messenger add-on to add the boss-key feature. When I googled around a bit, I found Messenger Plus! and decided to install it to see what else it'd offer. Back then, I was using Messenger 8.1 (later on, I became part of the Messenger 8.5 beta and used that one).

I was amazed about the overwhelming amount of features that Plus! (4.23, back then) added to Messenger. For some months, I was happy with using it, and that was it. In July 2007, I created an account at the Forums. At that time, I was searching for a script showing my Messenger status on the web. All I found was the Web2Live alpha (private then) - you probably know the outcome: I started my own script WLMStatus.

After again some months, my friend Bram Lancsweert talked to me about a mail from you looking for skinners. That's how I came into being a tester and also won a prize with my skin 'Apple Live Messenger' (you remember the Amazon vouchers?).

In the 1.5 years of being a tester, I started gathering all ideas that your users have, for new and enhanced functions of Messenger Plus! Live, collecting them into handy overviews in sticky forum threads.

However, I do feel that up to now, you were not that much interested in adding the features that your users and testers would like to see in Plus! - sometimes not even interested at all, to be honest. I'm sorry if I am a bit too honest here, but that is what I felt like. Every time when I look at the list of 100 and more items, all of them suggested by users, many of them I find interesting and having potential, some of them possibly getting complicated to program, some few of them probably not possible, very few you promised to add, yet *none* of them implemented in the software, I start worrying and wondering if you care about them, if you ever read it, if you even thought about adding at least some of the suggestions.

With Windows Live Wave 4, Microsoft is going to lower the boundaries of the different Web services and Essentials desktop applications. I think Messenger Plus! should get part of this cloud (in a different sense than the word is used nowadays). Integration is the magic word in this case.

Looking to the future of Messenger Plus! and Messenger itself, I feel just like you: there is the need of doing more, much more with this software. I won't send you a list with interesting features; I am sure you have received and will receive lots of messages about these. I just want to make you feel the importance of doing something valuable with the - sometimes raw - input that your users, and testers, give you. You know where to find the suggestion lists: just go through them in a silent hour and you will find tons of great inspirations for adding features that your users appreciate and want.

Many thanks that you didn't stop your dedicated Messenger Plus! work in all the past 8 years!
RE: We want to hear from YOU! by tetley on 05-20-2009 at 01:03 AM

Hi

These are my ideas (some of them i already sent them)

- I think it would be cool if the animated emoticons could be saved in the conversation logs and still be animated (not static).
- Someway to block the annoying virus urls
- Someway to quickly save urls and email addresses, like the "url catcher" in the old mIRC
- Subgroups
- disable photo sharing (it's really annoying :@)
- choose which groups can view your personal message (in the nickname)
- personalized emoticons in the personal message area (or in the nickname for that matter)
- in external email accounts verification, allow gmail. i never could make it work.
- a way to synchronize messenger contacts with other contacts (for example, sometimes i add people in messenger and forgot to put them in my gmail contacts.
- newsletter for when new msn plus! versions comes out

ok that's all i can remember right now :)

keep up the good work! (H)

RE: We want to hear from YOU! by blessedguy on 05-21-2009 at 12:44 AM

quote:
Originally posted by tetley
- disable photo sharing (it's really annoying :@)
- in external email accounts verification, allow gmail. i never could make it work.
- newsletter for when new msn plus! versions comes out
That's already included =P
RE: We want to hear from YOU! by warmth on 05-21-2009 at 01:30 AM

quote:
Already in other add-ons... Patch doesn't like to copy features...

quote:
- personalized emoticons in the personal message area (or in the nickname for that matter)
Not possible because of WLM itself...

quote:
- a way to synchronize messenger contacts with other contacts (for example, sometimes i add people in messenger and forgot to put them in my gmail contacts.
This has been already implemented for services like Facebook, LinkeIn, MySpace, Hi5, etc. at: http://profile.live.com/connect/ I don't think this would never reach the point of be part of an API and worst to be compatible with its more bigger enemy Google :P...

quote:
- Someway to quickly save urls and email addresses, like the "url catcher" in the old mIRC
- Subgroups
- choose which groups can view your personal message (in the nickname
These others I really don't understand what you mean... Copy email address is already a feature... and open urls in Display Name and Personal Status Message too... Subgroups of what? and hide PSMs in other contact list seems impossible to me :P

quote:
- I think it would be cool if the animated emoticons could be saved in the conversation logs and still be animated (not static).
The only idea I like and I think is possible is this one... but I guess there is too much memory involved in it... so maybe could be an option where the user select what he/she wants knowing the effect it could cause saving and loading them... :$
RE: We want to hear from YOU! by Shu on 05-24-2009 at 04:47 PM

I'd like to see a logging feature that would log on the PC and ALSO on gmail ! :) like gtalk in the chat section of the mail or maybe with a custom label ...

RE: We want to hear from YOU! by tetley on 05-24-2009 at 11:16 PM

Relating some users reply's to my suggestions :

blessed guy: you mean a newsletter already exists? how can i subscribe then? the other two i actually found latter in scripts, don't know it that's what you meant

warmth: subgroups for contacts! groups inside other groups... for example, in the group "Portugal", the group "Lisbon" and "Porto". "Someway to quickly save urls and email addresses" i meant like automatically save every url and email addresses that appear in the conversations, like the "url catcher" in the old mIRC, don't know if you are familiarized with that.

btw i forgot

quote: Originally posted by tetley

Where can i find this then?

RE: We want to hear from YOU! by Spunky on 05-24-2009 at 11:54 PM

quote:
automatically save every url and email addresses that appear in the conversations, like the "url catcher" in the old mIRC

Search for my script 'FindLinks' on this forum...
RE: We want to hear from YOU! by warmth on 05-25-2009 at 06:33 AM

Going to test it right now

quote:
btw i forgot

quote: Originally posted by tetley

Where can i find this then?
:P sorry but I don't like to talk of other add-ons here publicly... PM me and I will tell you...
RE: We want to hear from YOU! by blessedguy on 05-25-2009 at 05:23 PM

quote:
blessed guy: you mean a newsletter already exists? how can i subscribe then? the other two i actually found latter in scripts, don't know it that's what you meant
http://www.msgpluslive.net/news/category/new-releases/ ;)
RE: We want to hear from YOU! by tetley on 05-26-2009 at 01:23 AM

thanks guys!

RE: We want to hear from YOU! by tetley on 10-10-2009 at 04:20 PM

so when is the new version on msg plus going to be released?