Shoutbox

Star Trek - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Star Trek (/showthread.php?tid=90551)

Star Trek by Patchou on 05-08-2009 at 03:33 PM

If you enjoy Sci-Fi and/or Star Trek, go see the new movie, it's excellent :). Imax is even better.

RE: Star Trek by ipab on 05-08-2009 at 03:38 PM

Orly? I was going to watch it in Imax, glad to know it is good :)

RE: Star Trek by ixesha on 05-08-2009 at 06:56 PM

I echo what Patch said, it rocked in IMAX.

RE: Star Trek by prashker on 05-08-2009 at 07:26 PM

I'll go see it in 2 weeks when IMAX isn't packed :cheesy:

RE: Star Trek by Spunky on 05-08-2009 at 10:50 PM

It is awesome. Only normal cinema for me though =/

RE: Star Trek by Eddie on 05-09-2009 at 03:58 AM

Never really been interested in Star Trek, actually i don't think ive ever seen an episode or a movie of star trek, anyone got any suggestions of one to watch for a first-timer? :P

RE: Star Trek by Spunky on 05-09-2009 at 09:17 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Eddie
anyone got any suggestions of one to watch for a first-timer?

This one. You just probably won't get all the little jokes and references :p
RE: Star Trek by Patchou on 05-09-2009 at 03:28 PM

You won't have a problem watching this movie, you'll probably just miss a couple of referenes and wonder why some people chuckle in the cinema sometimes. Still, my gf doesn't know much about Star Trek and she liked the movie as well.

RE: Star Trek by -dt- on 05-09-2009 at 03:35 PM

Loved the movie, saw it the other night

[spoilers]
http://home.kairo.at/blog/2009-05/excellent_movie_trouble_for_canon
[/spoilers]

RE: Star Trek by stoshrocket on 05-10-2009 at 12:08 AM

I just went to see it tonight... Not a Star Trek watcher, but I have to say, the movie was AWESOME.

I totally didn't expect Zachary Quinto to play Spock, I saw the image in the Heroes thread of him playing Spock, but I thought it was photoshop'd with relevance to him wanting to leave the series and break into movies, so it was a lol moment when he first came on.

Still, yeah, awesome movie, highly recommended.

RE: Star Trek by Felu on 05-10-2009 at 03:01 AM

If only it was released in India...

Releases on the 26th... might go watch it on my birthday :P.

RE: Star Trek by albert on 05-10-2009 at 02:46 PM

Am going to see it this thursday at my intel conference. :)

RE: Star Trek by wacky on 05-12-2009 at 04:02 AM

I remember hearing years ago how Patchou loves Star Trek :chrongue: I'll probably watch it once it comes out on DVD. Less expensive (I'm too poor :sad:)

RE: Star Trek by John Anderton on 05-12-2009 at 04:18 AM

I wish I could go see it now.. wretched exams ruin everything :blah:

quote:
Originally posted by wacky
I remember hearing years ago how Patchou loves Star Trek :chrongue: I'll probably watch it once it comes out on DVD. Less expensive (I'm too poor :sad:)
or *cough*download*cough* it? :P
RE: Star Trek by Rolando on 05-12-2009 at 04:21 AM

Since when is a DVD less expensive than going to the movies (which is like $6)?

RE: Star Trek by -dt- on 05-12-2009 at 04:22 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Rolando
movies = $12audish
rent new release dvd = $5audish
RE: RE: Star Trek by ipab on 05-12-2009 at 04:32 AM

quote:
Originally posted by albert
Am going to see it this thursday at my intel conference. :)

Shit, forgot about that, perhaps I can go to mine here... May 14th...
RE: Star Trek by wacky on 05-12-2009 at 02:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
or *cough*download*cough* it? :P
I only download music :angel:
quote:
Originally posted by Rolando
going to the movies here is at least $10 CAD. Renting is $5
RE: Star Trek by Patchou on 05-12-2009 at 08:37 PM

Yeah but going to the movies also means you get to see the movie on a screen that's 50 times bigger while getting the satisfaction of eating loudly to annoy people around you.

RE: Star Trek by prashker on 05-12-2009 at 08:41 PM

Patchou doesn't have a theater yet in his house? For shame, and I thought you were rich :sad:

RE: Star Trek by wacky on 05-12-2009 at 08:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
Yeah but going to the movies also means you get to see the movie on a screen that's 50 times bigger while getting the satisfaction of eating loudly to annoy people around you.
are you saying that you're willing to buy me a movie ticket? :O (a)
RE: Star Trek by Vilkku on 05-12-2009 at 09:18 PM

I watched it today, good film no doubt. Loads of special effects etc, this is one of those films which is indeed better on the big screen. Go watch!

RE: RE: Star Trek by Patchou on 05-12-2009 at 10:30 PM

quote:
quote:
To a nice girl: always :)
RE: Star Trek by MeEtc on 05-13-2009 at 01:12 AM

But what will pouic-pouic think!? Taking other girls out to the movies. Hm.

RE: Star Trek by prashker on 05-13-2009 at 02:37 AM

Just got back. I liked it :p.

RE: Star Trek by ipab on 05-13-2009 at 06:06 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MeEtc

Patchou's a player and no matter what he does, he will always be able to get out of  trouble with his ridiculously good looks and his smooth talking.
RE: Star Trek by John Anderton on 05-13-2009 at 09:09 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ipab
quote:

Patchou's a player and no matter what he does, he will always be able to get out of  trouble with his ridiculously good looks and his smooth talking.
:rofl:
Its true ;o
RE: Star Trek by wacky on 05-13-2009 at 03:03 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:
To a nice girl: always :)
w00t! (h)
quote:
quote:

ya but Patchou looks like a younger version of my uncle, which is a little weird :chrongue:
RE: Star Trek by ixesha on 05-13-2009 at 07:33 PM

quote:

And his absolutely huge..
RE: Star Trek by djdannyp on 05-14-2009 at 05:55 AM

My first Star Trek experience was a pretty good one...enjoyed the film, decent enough storyline, nothing too complex..nice one.

Although I couldn't shake this nagging feeling that Spock was gonna slice open Kirk's head to steal his personality power ;)

RE: Star Trek by John Anderton on 05-14-2009 at 06:44 AM

quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp
Although I couldn't shake this nagging feeling that Spock was gonna slice open Kirk's head to steal his personality power ;)
:lol:
RE: Star Trek by vaccination on 05-14-2009 at 08:41 AM

quote:
My first Star Wars experience was a pretty good one...enjoyed the film, decent enough storyline, nothing too complex..nice one.)
Star Trek was pretty good too though, right?
RE: RE: Star Trek by Patchou on 05-15-2009 at 09:01 PM

quote:
omg, I didn't think somebody could ever describe me as well as this. This goes to my auto-biography.

quote:
hahaha
RE: Star Trek by prashker on 05-15-2009 at 09:28 PM

INITIATE PLOT-FAILURE-CONTINUATION-ERROR DISCUSSION MODE

You'd think that 1 bit of red matter has the capability to make a whole planet be sucked up, a whole gigantic ball of it would divide by zero the galaxy, but obviously not 8-)
RE: Star Trek by Patchou on 05-16-2009 at 04:49 PM

Well, it may have been true if only blue-matter had not been floating around at the same moment in space. How lucky was that... it's a well known fact one cancels the effects of the other.

RE: Star Trek by toto69230 on 05-23-2009 at 11:38 AM

quote:
If you enjoy Sci-Fi and/or Star Trek, go see the new movie, it's excellent :). Imax is even better.

pwahahahahahah
RE: Star Trek by John Anderton on 05-24-2009 at 08:03 AM

Have any of you read this? http://www.neowin.net/news/software/09/05/23/soph...ti-virus-seriously

Its pure rofl so go have a read :)
Credits go to Chris for tweeting this to me :)

RE: Star Trek by CookieRevised on 05-24-2009 at 04:00 PM

* CookieRevised is certainly going to see it.
Too bad we don't have an IMAX in Belgium (last one closed several yeasr ago iirc). Nevertheless, the 'normal' screens in the big movie theaters here are already way large enough...

PS: without telling a spoiler, is it canon with the rest of ST?
(I so hate it when directors don't make stuff canon, and usually the only reason is that they think it is "better for thetheir plot").

PSS: Whenever we go to see a movie again on some meeting, remind me to never sit next to Patchou :p

quote:
...while getting the satisfaction of eating loudly to annoy people around you.

RE: Star Trek by ShawnZ on 05-24-2009 at 04:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Nevertheless, the 'normal' screens in the big movie theaters here are already way large enough...

yeah, but the film is only 1/10th as big :p
RE: Star Trek by prashker on 05-24-2009 at 04:55 PM

They're not REAL IMAX, the screens are still small (for Canada that is). The screens are the same size as a regular screen, the only difference is the IMAX projector and the gigantic sound system. And even then, the movie is then interwhatever it's called because the film goes into the projector like 10000 times faster then what it was filmed as :p

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=...469b6d72410c230bbd

IMAX vs LIEMAX :p ^

RE: Star Trek by CookieRevised on 05-24-2009 at 05:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
quote:
Nevertheless, the 'normal' screens in the big movie theaters here are already way large enough...
yeah, but the film is only 1/10th as big :p
nope it (luckaly) isn't.

Screens here are usually at least 5, 6 meters high (and also curved). I'm not talking about those crappy movie theaters for 30 people with 2 left and right speakers and a flat screen of 2m high. We have those too, but you don't go there for seeing 'epic' movies (unless you don't have a TV at home :p)...

The resolution of the projected movie is more than big enough for those screens in our big cinemas. And te sound systems in most of the cinemas are more than up-to-date to modern day standards (IMAX is actually a very old standard in that regards).

To be very honest, you need to look very very very very very closely to see any difference between an IMAX projected movie and a 'normal' movie here provided you sit at the appropiate distance of course. When you sit from a normal distance depending on the screen size, you wont notice any difference at all. Especially not with action movies. (A still image might be another story).

Which means you sit a lot further away from the screen of an IMAX movie than from a 'normal' movie screen. Constantly needing to turn your head left and right isn't what I call a good experience either...
RE: Star Trek by ShawnZ on 05-24-2009 at 05:27 PM

quote:
nope it isn't.

yeah it is...

[Image: Imaxcomparison.png]

the entire point of IMAX is the film, not the screen size
RE: Star Trek by Menthix on 05-24-2009 at 05:41 PM

How is 35mm 1/10th of 70mm?

RE: Star Trek by CookieRevised on 05-24-2009 at 05:41 PM

Film size is only one part of the story... screen size is another... viewing distance yet another... If you have a bigger resolution, you can have a bigger screen, but you also sit further away from it.

The point of IMAX is so you can have really big screen sizes with one projector and a lot more people can watch the movie at the same time. For that you must have a bigger resolution. But if the screen size doesn't go above those extra large screens there is no point in having a bigger resolution either.

A standard IMAX screen is 'only' like 15m high but you sit a lot further away than from a 'normal' screen of 8m high (unless you want to do some gymnastics while watching or miss half of the movie). The viewing experience, including the viewing angle, is in the end almost exactly the same.

PS: The entire official point of IMAX _IS_ screen size. That's the only reason why it was 'invented' already several decades ago. Image Maxima, maximum screensize...

going offtopic I think...

RE: Star Trek by ShawnZ on 05-24-2009 at 05:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Menthix
How is 35mm 1/10th of 70mm?

21.95*18.6 is 1/10th of 70*48.5 :p

quote:
there is no point in having a bigger resolution either.

so would a 19" screen with a 1x1 resolution be the same quality as a 19" screen with a 1920x1080 resolution?
RE: Star Trek by CookieRevised on 05-24-2009 at 06:11 PM

*sigh*
I am very obviously not talking about projecting a 35mm on a 25m high imax screen.
Neither am I talking about projecting a 70mm film on a 8m high normal screen.
:rolleyes:

For each size there is an 'optimum' resolution. A 35mm on a 8m high screen is just as good as a 70mm on a 25m high screen so to speak, provided you sit at the optimum distance for 'normal' movies.

And with a normal action movie there is not much point in sitting 30m away from a 15m high screen with a big resolution than sitting 15m away from a 8m high screen with a lower resolution.... You would see exactly the same stuff flashing by, equally big in size.

Imax isn't inferiour, I said it isn't _that_ much better compared to the big screens we have here in _our_ cinames for normal action movies. I also said it is another story for still images and stuff especially made for Imax to show its benefits.

If the movie is a non-action movie with lots of scenes which are almost static and not much movement then you would notice a bigger difference way more quickly.

But there is probably not a single blockbuster movie which is exclusivly made for Imax. Which makes that there isn't any blockbuster movie which actually takes 100% advantage of the Imax system and which 100% benefits from its resolution. Which means you wont miss that much when you see the movie in 35mm on a big screen (and I mean a big screen, not a crappy 4x3m screen) compared to seeing it on an Imax screen with a 70mm reel.

RE: Star Trek by ShawnZ on 05-24-2009 at 06:23 PM

quote:
For each size there is an 'optimum' resolution. A 35mm on a 8m high screen is just as good as a 70mm on a 25m high screen so to speak, provided you sit at the optimum distance.

says who? i hear people say "optimum distance" a lot, but i've never had a higher DPI screen not have a noticeably sharper picture from wherever i looked at it.

screen size and viewing distance are one thing, but there's no way you can say having more information (higher resolution?) isn't always better, with any screen size or viewing distance.
RE: Star Trek by Rolando on 05-24-2009 at 06:51 PM

How about you geeks stop talking about screen sizes and go back to talk about Star Trek? :P

RE: Star Trek by John Anderton on 05-25-2009 at 02:03 AM

quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
They're not REAL IMAX, the screens are still small (for Canada that is). The screens are the same size as a regular screen, the only difference is the IMAX projector and the gigantic sound system. And even then, the movie is then interwhatever it's called because the film goes into the projector like 10000 times faster then what it was filmed as :p

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=...469b6d72410c230bbd

IMAX vs LIEMAX :p ^
Having the biggest IMAX dome on the planet near your house is total win :)
RE: Star Trek by prashker on 05-25-2009 at 02:41 AM

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
Having the biggest IMAX dome on the planet near your house is total win
:sad:
RE: Star Trek by ixesha on 05-27-2009 at 12:08 PM

quote:
But there is probably not a single blockbuster movie which is exclusivly made for Imax.

The Dark Knight had certain scenes filmed in pure IMAX. They were worth seeing in it, too.

And the canon question: yes, it is canon, in a convoluted way.