Shoutbox

Best encryption algorithm? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Best encryption algorithm? (/showthread.php?tid=90579)

Best encryption algorithm? by alegator on 05-10-2009 at 04:58 PM

When I go to Roboform's options, under Security you can choose among the following encryption algorithms:
-DES
-3DES
-AES
-Blowfish
-RC6

By default it's set to AES. Is this the safest one? If not, which one? Thanks

RE: Best encryption algorithm? by ShawnZ on 05-10-2009 at 05:12 PM

yes

RE: Best encryption algorithm? by Mnjul on 05-10-2009 at 05:13 PM

DES is definitely inferior to Triple-DES which is in turn inferior to the rest.

RC6 was the candidate for the competition for the AES standard (the current AES standard was originally named Rijndael when it was just a candidate, fyi).

I'd personally choose Blowfish because according to wikipedia no  good cryptanalysis has been done for it; AES is more widely used and so more people are looking into how to break it so maybe you're at more risk to be cracked :p.

RE: Best encryption algorithm? by Menthix on 05-10-2009 at 05:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mnjul
I'd personally choose Blowfish because according to wikipedia no  good cryptanalysis has been done for it
Doesn't make it more secure. Security through obscurity is generally a bad thing :p.

AES is good enough for US government's top secret files.
RE: Best encryption algorithm? by ShawnZ on 05-10-2009 at 05:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mnjul
I'd personally choose Blowfish because according to wikipedia no  good cryptanalysis has been done for it; AES is more widely used and so more people are looking into how to break it so maybe you're at more risk to be cracked :p

an algorithm derived from blowfish was also submitted for the AES competition and lost :p
RE: Best encryption algorithm? by andrewdodd13 on 05-10-2009 at 10:37 PM

DES isn't actually broken, however the keylength of 56 bits was deliberately crippled by the US NSA, presumably because they have a backdoor to decrypt it with short keylengths.

3DES is supposedly pretty secure by using a triple pass in chain-block cipher mode.

AES is generally faster and is considered as secure as blowfish. I've not looked at RC6 myself, YMMV.

RE: Best encryption algorithm? by alegator on 05-11-2009 at 04:39 AM

Thanks everyone for their replies. Now, the way roboform works is that it stores the login information for a user's commonly accessed websites (username+password). It will only provide and fill the login info once the user logs in the program by means of a password that the user sets. So the question is, who cares how safe is the encryption method? I mean, if the program's access password is weak enough, someone can guess it or decypher it and then access all the encrypted login records stored in Roboform. ???

RE: Best encryption algorithm? by ShawnZ on 05-11-2009 at 10:40 AM

quote:
Originally posted by alegator
I mean, if the program's access password is weak enough, someone can guess it or decypher it and then access all the encrypted login records stored in Roboform. ???

yes, and some algorithms might be easier to break than just with brute force :p
RE: Best encryption algorithm? by linx05 on 05-13-2009 at 11:00 AM

Nobody mentioned how important the password is. If you use an easy password, it doesn't matter how 'super-fucking-great' the algorithm is.

I would choose AES.

RE: Best encryption algorithm? by stoshrocket on 05-13-2009 at 11:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by linx05
Nobody mentioned how important the password is. If you use an easy password, it doesn't matter how 'super-fucking-great' the algorithm is.
quote:
I mean, if the program's access password is weak enough, someone can guess it or decypher it and then access all the encrypted login records stored in Roboform.
^o)
RE: Best encryption algorithm? by linx05 on 05-13-2009 at 11:20 AM

Of course, it needs to be implemented properly. But I didn't want to get into symantics.

RE: Best encryption algorithm? by alegator on 05-13-2009 at 03:43 PM

What if you forget/lose the access password? I guess then you'll be unable to retrieve your stored logins.

RE: Best encryption algorithm? by Thor on 05-13-2009 at 03:49 PM

quote:
What if you forget/lose the access password? I guess then you'll be unable to retrieve your stored logins.
That is the only logical answer.
RE: Best encryption algorithm? by ShawnZ on 05-13-2009 at 08:28 PM

quote:

well if there was any other way to get to them than using the password, it would be useless :p
RE: Best encryption algorithm? by John Anderton on 05-14-2009 at 06:49 AM

quote:
Originally posted by andrewdodd13
DES isn't actually broken, however the keylength of 56 bits was deliberately crippled by the US NSA, presumably because they have a backdoor to decrypt it with short keylengths.
DES is no longer used main stream because 56bits just doesn't give you enough security. Three key Triple DES gives you a key length of 112 bits which is supposedly sufficient. Two key Triple DES gives you something like an effective key length of 80 bits.

If AES is good enough for the USA's secret files, I'm fine with it storing my encrypted info :P

quote:
Originally posted by Menthix
Doesn't make it more secure. Security through obscurity is generally a bad thing :p.
(Y)
RE: Best encryption algorithm? by rajeshwari on 06-09-2009 at 03:42 PM

Can u tell me which Encryption  method..best encryption algorithm regarding performance, complexity, size, number of cycles per byte, OS supported, tool or opensource support......and why
i want comparable study of diff. encryption algo regarding these isssuse
plzz give me some link or directly guide me.......

RE: Best encryption algorithm? by matty on 06-09-2009 at 03:48 PM

http://security.resist.ca/crypt.shtml

http://www.google.ca/search?q=comparing+different...ryption+algorithms