Shoutbox

Trying to identify a device in Device Manager - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Trying to identify a device in Device Manager (/showthread.php?tid=90603)

Trying to identify a device in Device Manager by alegator on 05-12-2009 at 05:25 PM

My PC didn't come with USB2 or firewire ports, so I added a PCI to Firewire/USB2 internal card. What would be the name or location of this device in Device Manager? I want to update the driver but don't know what's the device's name in the Device Manager's list.

RE: Trying to identify a device in Device Manager by Eddie on 05-12-2009 at 05:31 PM

Could be in Universal Serial Bus Controllers, do you know what the device is called, if so you can just google it. My sister has a program on her computer that lists all your devices, unfortunately its 1.30AM so i can't find out for you, but if your question hasn't been answered by tomorrow morning i will let you know.

EDIT: You could also try out this piece of software to find out your hardware etc; http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

RE: Trying to identify a device in Device Manager by alegator on 05-13-2009 at 03:39 PM

Thanks Eddie, I use Belarc, but find Sisoftware Sandra a more comprehensive hardware scanner. The PCI card's brand is Smartdisk, I called their support but found out they discontinued this product years ago. Their company was bought by Verbatim, the DVD manufacturer. In anycase, these are the Device Manager listings referring to this card:
[Image: 45468720.jpg]

The above are the WinXP's native drivers picked when I installed the card. I found HERE  a more updated driver for this card (26Jul08) but I'm unsure if it is of any benefit to update the drivers. :S:S

RE: Trying to identify a device in Device Manager by Adeptus on 05-13-2009 at 05:34 PM

If it's not broken, don't try to "fix" it. 

I usually get the most recent drivers for everything when I (re)install the OS.  Unless there is a specific issue, I then leave it alone except for keeping the Nvidia or ATI graphics card drivers up to date on a gaming machine.

RE: Trying to identify a device in Device Manager by Eddie on 05-14-2009 at 03:53 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Adeptus
If it's not broken, don't try to "fix" it. 

I usually get the most recent drivers for everything when I (re)install the OS.  Unless there is a specific issue, I then leave it alone except for keeping the Nvidia or ATI graphics card drivers up to date on a gaming machine.
Agreed sort of. There are occasions where you really should keep your drivers up to date, however if there is no real advantage to updating then there really isn't a point in it. But then again if you update and it doesnt do things you want you can simply "Roll Back Drivers", so there is no real harm in updating.