Shoutbox

4.81 Ask.com Licence Agreement accepted by default - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: 4.81 Ask.com Licence Agreement accepted by default (/showthread.php?tid=90657)

4.81 Ask.com Licence Agreement accepted by default by Domsy on 05-16-2009 at 03:42 PM

Hiya,

Just saw the update for 4.81 and noticed now that there is an Ask.com sponsor thing instead of the old one. I think this is the first version I've seen with this, and I have a concern.

I noticed that the licence agreement for Ask.com is actually already checked, saying that you accept it. Isn't this very bad practice? Someone who didn't read the option could have just accepted a licence agreement without even realising it.

I just wanted to voice my concern, as I remember a lot of hassle in the past over the old sponsor system and people complaining how it was originally deceiving. I'm all positive towards this new Ask.com one, but I seriously do not agree that the licence agreement is by default accepted. Perhaps this was by accident as it doesn't seem this would have been done intentionally. I know of no other site or software that ever has a licence agreement already accepted without the user's input.

Thanks

Edit: By the way, I liked how the old sponsor option worked. You could either accept or decline the agreement, and you had to choose one or the other - neither was checked, meaning you couldn't progress installation without choosing one. I think it'd be most beneficial if this was used again for Ask.com too.

RE: 4.81 Ask.com Licence Agreement accepted by default by Patchou on 05-16-2009 at 04:26 PM

Thank you for sharing your opinion. We're still testing this new sponsoring system but it seems that so far, most people really like that new way of supporting Messenger Plus!. Because the home page does not actually install anything on your computer (except for a small uninstaller to change your browser's setings back automatically for people who don't know how to do it manually), it is not the same problem anymore. All the software who distribute this kind of thing do check those checkboxes by default, Messenger included.

I'll gladly revise the setup based on user feedback so, to everyone else: don't hesitate to indicate if you like the current way or not. Note that I need two different checkboxes for the Ask option so if you post UI suggestions (I know some of you like to do this :)), take that into consideration.

RE: RE: 4.81 Ask.com Licence Agreement accepted by default by Domsy on 05-16-2009 at 04:50 PM

Thanks for replying, Patchou!

I agree, I like this way for the sponsor too, I just thought I'd mention that I found it strange a licence agreement was accepted by default.

RE: 4.81 Ask.com Licence Agreement accepted by default by Menthix on 05-16-2009 at 05:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Domsy
I know of no other site or software that ever has a licence agreement already accepted without the user's input.
It may not be that clear because they don't specifically say you'll agree to the EULA, but Windows Live Messenger, Yahoo! Messenger, Almost any Google product and many others... they all have their sponsoring options (searchbars and homepage modifications) checked by default. While those others don't state you agree with the sponsor's EULA, their sponsors do have an EULA and their sponsors are installed by default. IMO, in a way Messenger Plus is just more honest while doing the same as all the others.
RE: 4.81 Ask.com Licence Agreement accepted by default by ShawnZ on 05-16-2009 at 05:49 PM

i can't say i agree with it, but i'd rather have a checked ask.com sponsor than an unchecked lop.com sponsor :p

RE: 4.81 Ask.com Licence Agreement accepted by default by blessedguy on 05-16-2009 at 06:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
i can't say i agree with it, but i'd rather have a checked ask.com sponsor than an unchecked lop.com sponsor :p
Idem
It's only a homepage modification =P, isn't it?
RE: 4.81 Ask.com Licence Agreement accepted by default by Menthix on 05-16-2009 at 09:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blessedguy
It's only a homepage modification =P, isn't it?
Correct (and the uninstaller to revert any changes (as required by Ask).

Setting Ask as search provider is optional, not checked by default.
RE: 4.81 Ask.com Licence Agreement accepted by default by CookieRevised on 05-16-2009 at 11:02 PM

Without using so many well put words as Domsy, I completely agree with him, with everything he said, eventhough it isn't the same problem as it used to be anymore.

---

It is not because the Ask.com sponsor only changes your homepage and it is not because others (Google, Messenger, etc) have them all ticked by default too, that I agree with such a practice.

The Plus! installer with the C2Media sponsor made a very correct and excellent example of showing how things should be done (imho) with software installers: not thicking anything at all by default, let the user choose, prevent 'accidents', no matter what the bundled thing is. Too bad that this excellent practice isn't carry on in the new installer with the Ask.com sponsor.

But as said by others, it wouldn't be a real 'drama' if a user accidently clicks through without reading anything as it is just a homepage and a search engine change. But that shouldn't be a reason for doing the same thing as other vendors do and no reason for jumping on the bandwagon of 'not-so-good-but-commercial-minded-practices'...

I really like the current way of sponsoring Plus!, and the UI is very good and still very clear. The two different checkboxes should stay. Can't think of anything else which would be more clear to the user. But maybe it is better that at least the EULA checkbox is unchecked by default imho, to prevent users from clicking through, to prevent 'accidents' and maybe even for legality* purposes.

* If you realy want you could now claim that you didn't read the EULA and that Plus! did install stuff without the user being aware of it because he accidently clicked one time too much on the mouse button (it happens).

With all respect and cheers to Patchou of course....

crap, and I thought I wouldn't need that many words to express myself.... oh well... old habits die extremely hard.... :D

-----------------------------

quote:
Originally posted by Menthix
Setting Ask as search provider is optional, not checked by default.
Everything is ticked by default, incl. setting Ask.com as the search provider.
RE: 4.81 Ask.com Licence Agreement accepted by default by Menthix on 05-17-2009 at 12:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Everything is ticked by default, incl. setting Ask.com as the search provider.
Hmm, not here, just tried again. Maybe it remembers, should try on a clean machine.

EDIT: Just tried again on a machine that never had Plus! installed yet. First time you run it you will still be offered to install CiD. Refuse CiD and install Plus. Then run the Plus! installer again, you will now be offered the Ask sponsor. Make Ask.com my browser's default search provider is not checked by default. Neither will it remember for the next time if you do manually check that box. Make sure you grab a fresh download when you test, there seem to have been silent changes again :).

I would prefer the Ask sponsor exclusively and dumping CiD completely

[Image: messenger-plus-network-ask-sponsor-4.81.png]
RE: 4.81 Ask.com Licence Agreement accepted by default by CookieRevised on 05-17-2009 at 12:23 AM

Ok then, thanks for pointing out. But in short reply: I don't like that "remembering" thing. Don't see any reason why it should either.

RE: 4.81 Ask.com Licence Agreement accepted by default by Menthix on 05-17-2009 at 12:24 AM

It doesn't seem to do the remembering thing, see the edit. That was just me guessing.

RE: 4.81 Ask.com Licence Agreement accepted by default by CookieRevised on 05-17-2009 at 12:30 AM

If it doesn't do a sort of remember thingie, then why is everything always checked when I run the installer (no matter what version I run)?
(note: I don't have the search installed atm)

RE: 4.81 Ask.com Licence Agreement accepted by default by Menthix on 05-17-2009 at 12:32 AM

Strange, maybe Patchou can shed some light on that.

RE: 4.81 Ask.com Licence Agreement accepted by default by Patchou on 05-17-2009 at 11:45 PM

Here is the light: IE8 :). Because IE8 displays a big warning message if the default search is changed, I prefer unchecking that option by default to avoid scaring people off for no reason. This will be improved one way or the other in a future version, for now, I just prefer putting more importance on better user experience.

RE: 4.81 Ask.com Licence Agreement accepted by default by CookieRevised on 05-19-2009 at 06:27 AM

Ah, nice to know why it is unticked by default. But it doesn't shed any light on why, when I run an installer, it (=license agreement itself) is always checked by default. :D

RE: 4.81 Ask.com Licence Agreement accepted by default by Dragunov on 05-21-2009 at 10:12 PM

But why having a license agreement for ask, if u can uncheck it to make it the default?

RE: 4.81 Ask.com Licence Agreement accepted by default by CookieRevised on 05-21-2009 at 10:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dragunov
But why having a license agreement for ask, if u can uncheck it to make it the default?
what do you mean?
RE: 4.81 Ask.com Licence Agreement accepted by default by Dragunov on 05-22-2009 at 10:20 PM

I thought u could just set a mark with the license agreement of Ask alone without marking Ask as default search provider