Shoutbox

Isolate a window (some sort of Theater Mode?) How can I do this? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Isolate a window (some sort of Theater Mode?) How can I do this? (/showthread.php?tid=90688)

Isolate a window (some sort of Theater Mode?) How can I do this? by prashker on 05-18-2009 at 06:32 PM

Is there any program that can make a window stand out of others, and darken the background.

I can't explain it, so here's a picture.

[Image: isolate.png]

Is there any program which can achieve this effect with a window :p? (or windows?)

RE: Isolate a window (some sort of Theater Mode?) How can I do this? by blessedguy on 05-18-2009 at 06:58 PM

Don't know in Windows, but in Linux you can use the ADDHelper plugin for CompizFusion to enable that effect. (And couldn't find anything that does the same on Windows, sorry.)

RE: Isolate a window (some sort of Theater Mode?) How can I do this? by prashker on 05-18-2009 at 07:34 PM

Heh, atleast I was able to explain properly.

ADDHelper is exactly what I want...but for windows. I'll keep looking, any help is appreciated :)

RE: Isolate a window (some sort of Theater Mode?) How can I do this? by stoshrocket on 05-18-2009 at 08:00 PM

Could you use samurize? I used samurize to create a "widget" that placed a button on my desktop that when double clicked darkened the screen, didn't let me click any icons or anything behind the screen and then had lots of little things on top... Sort of a dashboard for windows deal. I'm not sure if you could display an active window ontop of this though, but im sure so it'd be worth looking into!

RE: Isolate a window (some sort of Theater Mode?) How can I do this? by Menthix on 05-18-2009 at 08:08 PM

In Windows 7 you could shake the window. Doesn't darken the rest, but hides everything else, same kind of effect.

RE: Isolate a window (some sort of Theater Mode?) How can I do this? by vaccination on 05-18-2009 at 08:18 PM

I remember they used to do it with the divx player on Stage6.

EDIT: Yeah, divx player has a 'desktop dimmer' feature =p

RE: Isolate a window (some sort of Theater Mode?) How can I do this? by Dr4g0n on 05-18-2009 at 08:24 PM

Jedi Concentrate
[Image: Screenshot.JPG]

AnAppADay to the rescue. Check out some of the other programs on there, quite useful!

(Alternatives for Linux: ADDHelper, Mac: Exposé)

RE: Isolate a window (some sort of Theater Mode?) How can I do this? by foaly on 05-18-2009 at 08:41 PM

http://www.donationcoder.com/Software/Skrommel/
ghoster (somewhere on that site) also does the trick...
advantage there is you can easily change the program...

RE: Isolate a window (some sort of Theater Mode?) How can I do this? by prashker on 05-19-2009 at 12:17 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Menthix
In Windows 7 you could shake the window. Doesn't darken the rest, but hides everything else, same kind of effect.
Yeah, not exactly what I wanted. I can't stand that, it doesn't work when I want to bring stuff back up (and on the odd times that it does, it jerks the current window weirdly)

quote:
Originally posted by Dr4g0n
Jedi Concentrate
Very nice, this one uses a hotkey which will help awesomely when I need it :banana:

quote:
Originally posted by foaly
http://www.donationcoder.com/Software/Skrommel/

This also does what you said, however multimon=1 doesn't seem to work like the options says. However that is not a big deal. This one is automatic for whichever active window.

Both will help in different situations. I believe this is now solved :)

Thanks Dr4g0n and foaly. My love is now for you (l).

:banana:

SOLVED ;D

RE: Isolate a window (some sort of Theater Mode?) How can I do this? by Dr4g0n on 05-19-2009 at 11:21 AM

;D

RE: Isolate a window (some sort of Theater Mode?) How can I do this? by Volv on 05-19-2009 at 12:34 PM

That's pretty cool.

RE: Isolate a window (some sort of Theater Mode?) How can I do this? by Rolando on 05-19-2009 at 06:51 PM

fuck you sam. I thought you loved me.

RE: Isolate a window (some sort of Theater Mode?) How can I do this? by prashker on 05-19-2009 at 08:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Volv
That's pretty cool.
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not.
quote:
Originally posted by Rolando
fuck you sam. I thought you loved me.
;-; (l)
RE: Isolate a window (some sort of Theater Mode?) How can I do this? by Volv on 05-20-2009 at 09:56 AM

I wasn't, but now that I've actually had a chance to try it out properly it could still do with some improvement.
Good news: it's open source. Bad news: i sux at programming.