Shoutbox

Crashing - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: Crashing (/showthread.php?tid=90698)

Crashing by Shadowmire on 05-19-2009 at 02:15 PM

Hi, I am posting because I am having an issue with Messenger crashing when I try to message any contacts. Though the problem is easily resolved, it is more of a way to conform to the problem than a way to fix it.

I figured out that if I turn off tabbed chats, I am able to message people just fine. If I turn it back on and try to message someone, messenger immediately closes without any error message or delay.

I made sure to check through quite a few pages here (seventeen) to be sure I could not find the answer, and sadly I did not.

RE: Crashing by James Potter on 05-19-2009 at 03:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Shadowmire
Hi, I am posting because I am having an issue with Messenger crashing when I try to message any contacts. Though the problem is easily resolved, it is more of a way to conform to the problem than a way to fix it.

I figured out that if I turn off tabbed chats, I am able to message people just fine. If I turn it back on and try to message someone, messenger immediately closes without any error message or delay.

I made sure to check through quite a few pages here (seventeen) to be sure I could not find the answer, and sadly I did not.

Try uninstalling and reinstalling Messenger Plus! Live then enabled Tabbed Chats and see what happens?
RE: Crashing by Shadowmire on 05-19-2009 at 03:35 PM

I tried completely uninstalling both Plus! and messenger itself and then reinstalling, and had the same issue. Thank you though.

RE: Crashing by James Potter on 05-19-2009 at 03:45 PM

All right. Try renaming these contacts that cause your WLM to crash, then try re-enabling Tabbed Chats, if it still crashes then it is also unrelated to contacts' nicknames.

Some contacts insert characters in their screen name that Messenger at times cannot read, thus crashes.

RE: Crashing by Shadowmire on 05-19-2009 at 04:09 PM

That did not work either, but thanks again.

RE: Crashing by James Potter on 05-19-2009 at 04:25 PM

What are your Tabbed Chatting options?
Do you use any specific skins or other add-ons, such as MessengerDiscovert 2 or SweetIM?

RE: Crashing by Shadowmire on 05-19-2009 at 04:30 PM

I have the exact default options (virtually everything else has been left unchanged since I re-installed, as well) and I do not use any third-party skins or other add-ons.

RE: RE: Crashing by Vilkku on 05-19-2009 at 04:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by James Potter
All right. Try renaming these contacts that cause your WLM to crash, then try re-enabling Tabbed Chats, if it still crashes then it is also unrelated to contacts' nicknames.

Some contacts insert characters in their screen name that Messenger at times cannot read, thus crashes.
I'm fairly sure that even if you assign a nickname to a contact, their "real" name will still be displayed on the tab.

Does it happen with all contacts or just a few specific ones (or is it random)? If it only happens with specific contacts, could you post their display names?
RE: Crashing by Shadowmire on 05-19-2009 at 04:43 PM

It happens with all contacts.

I made it a point to try it with contacts with simple display names.