Shoutbox

Microphone sending windows sounds instead of my voice :S - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Microphone sending windows sounds instead of my voice :S (/showthread.php?tid=90790)

Microphone sending windows sounds instead of my voice :S by Th3rmal on 05-26-2009 at 12:28 PM

My microphone is sending the sounds of windows (eg when you hit backspace in WLM and it makes a noise after its got nothing to delete) but refuses to send my voice.

Whats the problem and how do i fix it? Ive been looking through the settings but found nothing out of the ordinary...

Thanks

RE: Microphone sending windows sounds instead of my voice :S by foaly on 05-26-2009 at 12:41 PM

sounds like you have the wrong microphone selected...

RE: Microphone sending windows sounds instead of my voice :S by Jesus on 05-26-2009 at 12:41 PM

Change your recording device from Stereo Mix to Microphone.
You can find this setting in the volume control for your audio input device.

RE: Microphone sending windows sounds instead of my voice :S by Th3rmal on 05-26-2009 at 12:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jesus
Change your recording device from Stereo Mix to Microphone.
You can find this setting in the volume control for your audio input device.
Can you please explain a bit more? Sorry but I couldnt find it :(
RE: Microphone sending windows sounds instead of my voice :S by toddy on 05-26-2009 at 01:29 PM

start > control panel > sound & audio device > audio > sound recording

RE: Microphone sending windows sounds instead of my voice :S by Th3rmal on 05-26-2009 at 08:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by toddy
start > control panel > sound & audio device > audio > sound recording
Only one option in there :S
RE: Microphone sending windows sounds instead of my voice :S by Jesus on 05-26-2009 at 09:09 PM

No, I meant Volume Control>Options>Properties>Mixer Device>SoundCard Input>OK
Then select Microphone instead of Stereo Mix from the Recording Volume Control.

This is how it works on XP, don't know about Vista, but it's probably similar.

EDIT: I'm on a Dutch machine, so the menu names etc may be different from what I posted.

RE: Microphone sending windows sounds instead of my voice :S by blessedguy on 05-26-2009 at 10:38 PM

quote:
Via control panel in Vista, it'd be:
Hardware and Sounds > Sound > Input, and then all input devices will be shown there, just select the one you'll use.
Via taskbar, it'd be:
Sound Icon (Right Click) > Input Devices > all input devices will be shown there, just select the one you'll use.
RE: Microphone sending windows sounds instead of my voice :S by Th3rmal on 05-27-2009 at 04:03 AM

quote:
No, I meant Volume Control>Options>Properties>Mixer Device>SoundCard Input>OK
Then select Microphone instead of Stereo Mix from the Recording Volume Control.

EDIT: I'm on a Dutch machine, so the menu names etc may be different from what I posted.
Oh i see, that option was already ticked tho :( stereo mix wasnt enabled.
RE: Microphone sending windows sounds instead of my voice :S by Vilkku on 05-27-2009 at 06:57 AM

Are the cables plugged in correctly? :P

RE: Microphone sending windows sounds instead of my voice :S by segosa on 05-27-2009 at 07:13 AM

Have you tried forcing an unexpected reboot?

RE: Microphone sending windows sounds instead of my voice :S by Th3rmal on 05-27-2009 at 08:13 AM

quote:
Originally posted by segosa
Have you tried forcing an unexpected reboot?
yea tried that too, didnt work.

I suspected it might be the microphone itself, so I tested on another computer and it wouldnt register my voice either. Looks like its the headsets issue, not the computers.