Shoutbox

SKINS IN NEED OF URGENT ASSISTANCE! - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Skinning (/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+----- Forum: Skin Requests (/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+------ Thread: SKINS IN NEED OF URGENT ASSISTANCE! (/showthread.php?tid=90791)

SKINS IN NEED OF URGENT ASSISTANCE! by Jstnfox on 05-26-2009 at 02:42 PM

I know it takes alot of time and effort because you have to change codes & stuff but seriously what is taking so long? Here are some of the skins that URGENTLY need to be updated to WLM 9 Compatibility and I mean URGENTLY. Please if you know some of the creators of these skins please could you try to motivate them or help them out to get these updated.

1. Deep Blue - Added Sep 14th 2008
2. Martique III - Added Aug 13th 2008
3. Live Etoile - Added Aug 18th 2008
4. SkyLines - Added Sep 6th 2008
5. Fabiox - Added Sep 14th 2008
6. Zero-G - Added Mar 27th 2008
7. Apple Live Messenger - Added Aug 10th 2008
8. Iphone Skin - Added Aug 13th 2008

There are plenty more also but these are the ones that were most popular. I know I love all of them and pray that someone reads this post and gets the message.

As you can also see by the list there was an influx of new skins between AUG-SEP 2008. So why has it come to a virtual halt?

WE NEED MORE SKINS. Why not try something new also like making the skins animated (Is that possible?)

RE: SKINS IN NEED OF URGENT ASSISTANCE! by MicroWay on 05-26-2009 at 02:52 PM

I'm not a skin creator, but have tryed to make little things.... Don't forget that skins are not easy to make (specialy if it's a "big" project) and creators may have work/study/other problems on their life
;)
Anyway... just making a point

RE: SKINS IN NEED OF URGENT ASSISTANCE! by CookieRevised on 05-26-2009 at 03:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jstnfox
As you can also see by the list there was an influx of new skins between AUG-SEP 2008. So why has it come to a virtual halt?
Skinning hasn't come to a virtual halt, they are being created in the same pase as always. But during that period in 2008 there was a skinning contest to advertise the new skinning engine. Hence the big increase in skins being released and rereleased (as some already existed but got an update for the contest) during august and september.

---

In regards to updating skins for WLM2009: As Microway said, making (decent) skins isn't easy and takes a lot of work and a lot of dedication. All skinners are people who still go to school, have work, etc. And skinning is done as a hobby.

---

Animation isn't possible AFAIK in skins. Though it might be a interesting idea for Patchou to look into.
RE: SKINS IN NEED OF URGENT ASSISTANCE! by Menthix on 05-26-2009 at 06:26 PM

quote:
what is taking so long?
Not all skins will be updated to Messenger 2009. In fact, most skins in the DB which aren't updated yet at this point might never be updated at all.

Updating a skin from 8.5 or older to 2009 can take almost as much work as creating an entire new skin. Microsoft change a lot to how 2009 works, at the surface you don't see as much changes as when you get into skinning.

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Skinning hasn't come to a virtual halt, they are being created in the same pase as always. But during that period in 2008 there was a skinning contest to advertise the new skinning engine. Hence the big increase in skins being released and rereleased (as some already existed but got an update for the contest) during august and september.
quote:
Please if you know some of the creators of these skins please could you try to motivate them or help them out to get these updated.
Time for a new contest :banana:

RE: SKINS IN NEED OF URGENT ASSISTANCE! by Toxn on 05-26-2009 at 07:52 PM

quote:

6. Zero-G - Added Mar 27th 2008

Willz said he was creating Zero G 3
Zero G 3
RE: SKINS IN NEED OF URGENT ASSISTANCE! by Jstnfox on 05-26-2009 at 09:52 PM

YES We need a new contest!

RE: SKINS IN NEED OF URGENT ASSISTANCE! by Rolando on 05-26-2009 at 10:00 PM

I think there's a new contest planned very soon. Check the announcements ;)

RE: SKINS IN NEED OF URGENT ASSISTANCE! by blessedguy on 05-26-2009 at 10:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Rolando
I think there's a new contest planned very soon. Check the announcements ;)
Wasn't that about movies and animation?
RE: RE: SKINS IN NEED OF URGENT ASSISTANCE! by Willz on 05-28-2009 at 08:05 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

Animation isn't possible AFAIK in skins. Though it might be a interesting idea for Patchou to look into.

In it's current stage no its not, but resource animations do exist and they are mainly just multi-indexed pngs.

For custom animated images to be a reality Messenger Plus! would have to introduce something to manage the images and how they are triggered or used.

But yeah, I don't really think its worth it just because there isn't much practical use to it. Messenger 9 just has too much constraints to bother making that kind of thing. I'd much rather see the reload feature come in :P

Anyway just because someone makes a thread saying these skins need to be updated doesn't mean it will happen. People have lives etc and skinning Messenger 9 takes longer than it did in 8.5. Its more involved so I think that's why people aren't going for it. Nobody is obligated to update their skins if they don't have the time.