Shoutbox

[Suggestion] Group/category on desktop - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: [Suggestion] Group/category on desktop (/showthread.php?tid=90792)

[Suggestion] Group/category on desktop by riahc4 on 05-26-2009 at 03:49 PM

I had this idea after I decided to pretty much organize my contact list

[Image: groupidea.jpg]

The arrow expands to a list downwards with all the contacts in the group/category (their names and customizable to their PSM) and their status icon

And (it further develop the idea) If say 1/10 contacts have their status on online and the other 9 are offline the icon is almost grey with just a bit of green. If 9/10 have their status online and just 1 is offline the icon is almost green (or regular online status icon) with just a bit of grey. This also goes for away and busy. Its a pretty good design idea but with just a simple group/category on desktop it would be good.

OT: The font on contact on desktop can't be customized? I could have sworn it could.

RE: [Suggestion] Group/category on desktop by CookieRevised on 05-26-2009 at 04:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by riahc4
OT: The font on contact on desktop can't be customized? I could have sworn it could.
Change the appropiate interface file. See Plus! scripting docs.

RE: [Suggestion] Group/category on desktop by riahc4 on 05-26-2009 at 04:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
Change the appropiate interface file. See Plus! scripting docs.
Write a script for just that? No thanks...
RE: [Suggestion] Group/category on desktop by CookieRevised on 05-26-2009 at 04:29 PM

Who said anything about writing a script? I said change the appropiate interface file for the desktop contact window. How you can do that is explained in the scripting docs. It only takes once small change in the right file. IIRC I even once made a post about exactly this, how to change that font, with step-by-step instructions.

RE: [Suggestion] Group/category on desktop by riahc4 on 05-26-2009 at 06:34 PM

quote:
Who said anything about writing a script? I said change the appropiate interface file for the desktop contact window. How you can do that is explained in the scripting docs. It only takes once small change in the right file. IIRC I even once made a post about exactly this, how to change that font, with step-by-step instructions.
(We are going offtopic)

But why does the enduser have to mess around with this? IMO this should be a standard feature...
RE: [Suggestion] Group/category on desktop by NanaFreak on 05-26-2009 at 09:45 PM

Hasnt the /Interface folder been depreciated?

I remember when skinning first came out and i had files in there and i couldnt open any plus windows... but yea... 8-)

RE: RE: [Suggestion] Group/category on desktop by CookieRevised on 05-26-2009 at 10:37 PM

quote:
quote:
(We are going offtopic)

But why does the enduser have to mess around with this? IMO this should be a standard feature...
ermmm. how is explaining how you can do it "going off topic" (you asked for it in your first post)? Anyways, the enduser has to 'mess' with that because it unfortunatly isn't an option yet.

quote:
Originally posted by NanaFreak
Hasnt the /Interface folder been depreciated?
nope...
RE: [Suggestion] Group/category on desktop by foaly on 05-30-2009 at 11:13 AM

thankfully OT is also short for On Topic...

Your suggestion seems quite hard te implement, and I can't see why the percentage off people online is that relevant...
But it would be some, although pointless, eyecandy...

RE: [Suggestion] Group/category on desktop by riahc4 on 05-30-2009 at 11:22 AM

quote:
Originally posted by foaly
thankfully OT is also short for On Topic...

Your suggestion seems quite hard te implement, and I can't see why the percentage off people online is that relevant...
But it would be some, although pointless, eyecandy...
Yes the percentage thing is pretty much just eyecandy but the Groups On Desktop is not hard to do at all.

It might even be able to be done with a script (Cookie your opinion on that?)
RE: [Suggestion] Group/category on desktop by CookieRevised on 05-31-2009 at 09:25 AM

quote:
It might even be able to be done with a script (Cookie your opinion on that?)
Can't be done with scripts since it involves groups. Scripts do not have access to group information.

Unless you're going to make your own groups like some other scripts do. In that case it can be done, just like you can make your own Contacts On Desktop feature with just scripting.
RE: [Suggestion] Group/category on desktop by riahc4 on 07-27-2009 at 03:38 PM

Man I forget about threads quick....

quote:
Anyways, the enduser has to 'mess' with that because it unfortunatly isn't an option yet.

It isnt a option and Im suggesting on making a option for it.
RE: [Suggestion] Group/category on desktop by CookieRevised on 07-28-2009 at 02:54 PM

quote:

quote:
Anyways, the enduser has to 'mess' with that because it unfortunatly isn't an option yet.

And I suggested to edit the interface files for that. Just as you would edit the interface files for many other alterations you might want to do. Having an option for all the things you can do with the interface files is realy over-the-top. Simply having an option for changing the font for each window in Plus! is already over-the-top. Editing the interface files yourself isn't that hard at all.
RE: [Suggestion] Group/category on desktop by riahc4 on 07-28-2009 at 04:20 PM

quote:
quote:

quote:

And I suggested to edit the interface files for that. Just as you would edit the interface files for many other alterations you might want to do. Having an option for all the things you can do with the interface files is realy over-the-top. Simply having an option for changing the font for each window in Plus! is already over-the-top. Editing the interface files yourself isn't that hard at all.

I understand it isnt hard but its the extra step the end user shouldnt have to do. It should be a simple option.
RE: [Suggestion] Group/category on desktop by Spunky on 07-28-2009 at 06:37 PM

quote:
I understand it isnt hard but its the extra step the end user shouldnt have to do. It should be a simple option.

In a similar way that people want Plus! for other IM client's and other platforms, Patchou does what he wants as he has an overall vision of which direction he should take the software. These things will probably never be done and that's his choice and people have to live with it, or else use something else to suite their needs.

In this situation in this thread, I don't hear people running off complaining to Microsoft that they have to do certain tasks through a command prompt, or in safe mode, just because it's an extra step or two.

People understand that software does what it was designed for. It doesn't need bells and whistles for every little thing. Changing a couple of bytes of information in a standard plain text file is not really too much work for anybody. Someone could always make a script to edit it automatically (or even a batch file for that matter), but why bother when there is so little call for it. We are hardly inundated with requests for this so it's a pretty bespoke request and one that I doubt will be listened to for the convenience of a part time member who only comes here to take what he wants without contributing towards the software or helping others in need on the forums
RE: [Suggestion] Group/category on desktop by riahc4 on 07-28-2009 at 11:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Spunky
quote:

In a similar way that people want Plus! for other IM client's and other platforms, Patchou does what he wants as he has an overall vision of which direction he should take the software. These things will probably never be done and that's his choice and people have to live with it, or else use something else to suite their needs.

In this situation in this thread, I don't hear people running off complaining to Microsoft that they have to do certain tasks through a command prompt, or in safe mode, just because it's an extra step or two.

People understand that software does what it was designed for. It doesn't need bells and whistles for every little thing. Changing a couple of bytes of information in a standard plain text file is not really too much work for anybody. Someone could always make a script to edit it automatically (or even a batch file for that matter), but why bother when there is so little call for it. We are hardly inundated with requests for this so it's a pretty bespoke request and one that I doubt will be listened to for the convenience of a part time member who only comes here to take what he wants without contributing towards the software or helping others in need on the forums

This a request for a key feature. I believe it should be taken into consideration BUT I understand if it isnt as I am the only one intrested in it.
RE: [Suggestion] Group/category on desktop by CookieRevised on 07-30-2009 at 01:26 AM

quote:
This a request for a key feature. I believe it should be taken into consideration BUT I understand if it isnt as I am the only one intrested in it.
Clearly _not_ a key feature then...

--------------------

EDIT (as I'm not going to waste a new post for this): riahc4, a key feature is something very important for most people and something which most people use. There is a big difference between a key feature requested by hundreds of people and a simple suggestion demanded by just one person.
RE: [Suggestion] Group/category on desktop by riahc4 on 08-19-2009 at 06:45 PM

quote:
quote:
Clearly _not_ a key feature then...

And colors in a display name or "/ping" is not a key feature for ME either but they are there because someone either requested it or Patchou implanted them in the first place. Since he has not done my feature, I am putting it on the table as a suggestion.
RE: [Suggestion] Group/category on desktop by Spunky on 08-19-2009 at 10:43 PM

:deadhorse:

RE: [Suggestion] Group/category on desktop by riahc4 on 08-20-2009 at 01:28 AM

quote:

EDIT (as I'm not going to waste a new post for this): riahc4, a key feature is something very important for most people and something which most people use. There is a big difference between a key feature requested by hundreds of people and a simple suggestion demanded by just one person.

Im sorry but I see how something like "/ping" is important for most people and something which most people use.

I didnt damand anything. Im asking for this feature, your opinion is it cant be done (I THINK you havent said anything about if you like or dislike this feature). If you have no intrest, then go right ahead and leave the thread.
RE: [Suggestion] Group/category on desktop by Nagamasa on 09-01-2009 at 09:50 PM

To be honest, I would like this feature. I would find it useful, imo.

However, seeing it has to do with Categories, I doubt it can be done anyways.

RE: [Suggestion] Group/category on desktop by riahc4 on 10-28-2009 at 04:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Nagamasa

It problably can. The issue is if the demand is enough to try to do it :)
RE: [Suggestion] Group/category on desktop by CookieRevised on 10-28-2009 at 05:44 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Nagamasa

It problably can.
:dodgy:

Sorry, but as said several times before, here and in other threads:

Plus! has currently NO proper access to categories, (because of a bug in the Messenger API), THEREFORE it can NOT be done in the way you described using Messenger categories.

If Patchou finds a good reliable way he will sure add it again in the future and possibly with more features, but for now (and since a long time) it is NOT possible...

Why do you think support for categories has been removed since a very long time (eg: block/unblock) and not been re-added? Not because Patchou doesn't want to, not with the current versions... So stop pretending and saying you know it can be done as it is currently not possible, just as we said months and months ago....