Shoutbox

JScript.NET - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: JScript.NET (/showthread.php?tid=90858)

JScript.NET by SmokingCookie on 05-31-2009 at 08:55 PM

Quick one: will Messenger Plus! Live support JScript.NET in the future?

RE: JScript.NET by Patchou on 05-31-2009 at 09:26 PM

I never looked into it but maybe, if it adds significant advantages to the current JScript model. Do you have some in mind?

RE: JScript.NET by SmokingCookie on 05-31-2009 at 09:45 PM

Well, basically all .NET features not supported by ActiveX and not available to JScript through Interop.

RE: JScript.NET by ryxdp on 06-01-2009 at 06:43 AM

Wouldn't people need to install the .NET framework then? Or would most people have it already?

That said, it is an interesting idea. I'd like to see how much more could be possible using .NET.

RE: JScript.NET by Menthix on 06-01-2009 at 10:55 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ryxdp
Wouldn't people need to install the .NET framework then?
.NET Framework is already a requirement for Messenger itself, isn't it?
RE: JScript.NET by NanaFreak on 06-01-2009 at 11:51 AM

from here: For Writer: Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 or higher*

so i dont think it is strictly required...

RE: JScript.NET by markee on 06-03-2009 at 07:07 AM

Personally, I have had a little bit of a look at some code for JScript.NET in the past couple of days and don't find it as nice as the current JScript engine we use.  Of course there are some advantages, but nothing really significant given the strong scripting engine that we currently use.  Personally, I think it is better to stay where we are as the current scripting engine is a nice basis for people to start coding (something that makes it more inviting for the ordinary user to have a go at) compared to the complexity we see in the .NET languages.

RE: JScript.NET by SmokingCookie on 06-03-2009 at 02:05 PM

I wasn't asking for the current engine to be removed ;) A combo of both languages could be very powerful.

RE: JScript.NET by RaceProUK on 06-23-2009 at 05:32 PM

One possible advantage of adding JScript.NET support: it would make using assemblies from scripts child's play. Also, with the extensive security framework in .NET, the permissions of assemblies can be very tightly controlled, if necessary.