Shoutbox

Microphone Automatically Adjusting Volume - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Microphone Automatically Adjusting Volume (/showthread.php?tid=91013)

Microphone Automatically Adjusting Volume by Wooticus on 06-11-2009 at 03:30 AM

Hello all, I am currently running Windows Vista and I am having trouble with my microphone volume automatically changing during video calls.

Recently while talking to my friend in a video call, she complained that she could barely hear me. After checking my Microphone volume in Microphone Properties, I noticed it had gone down to 35% volume. I switched it back to 100% and twenty seconds later my friend says she can't hear me again.

I went into Recording Devices -> Microphone Properties -> Advanced and unchecked Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device. Unfortunately, the problem still persisted.

It turns out WLM automatically forces the microphone volume to lower if it picks up too much volume from disturbances such as accidentally hitting the microphone. Is there anyway to disable this setting? There is nothing in audio and video settings that is helping.

I know for a fact others are having this problem, but please wait to reply until after a possible solution is posted so that people know this problem is unsolved please! I'd appreciate it. :)

Thanks in advance!

RE: Microphone Automatically Adjusting Volume by Jesus on 06-12-2009 at 12:45 AM

I never had this problem during a video call and have never heard of WLM adjusting volume levels. I do know Skype has this feature though, do you happen to have Skype running in the background?

RE: Microphone Automatically Adjusting Volume by Wooticus on 06-12-2009 at 11:13 AM

I do not have Skype installed at all actually, but this problem is like you hinted at, the exact same problem as Skype's. Sadly, unlike Skype, there are no settings (that I know of) to shut this off.

I've made multiple threads spread over different forums about this issue, but no fix has been reported. I'm at my wit's end. I'm either going to have to start using a different method of communication, or find a way to turn this off through a script. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to script in WLM at all.

...Speaking of which, is there a script request section here?

EDIT: I just found the tutorial, as ridiculous as this is for finding a solution, I may just have to try it.

RE: Microphone Automatically Adjusting Volume by Voldemort on 06-12-2009 at 05:22 PM

A link would be appreciated for future reference :P

RE: Microphone Automatically Adjusting Volume by Revy106 on 06-13-2009 at 01:27 AM

I'm having the same problem with my girlfriend to :( and on video call with

Windows live messenger 14.0.8064 I've noticed that the video call now mutes the mic when there's not enough sound coming through yeah it gets rid of static but sometimes it doesn't even let the mic send sound anyone got a fix for the video call problem (windows live 9 never had this problem with video call)

RE: Microphone Automatically Adjusting Volume by Wooticus on 06-17-2009 at 04:39 PM

Bumping for another shot at getting a solution.

Please keep the "I've got this problem too." posts to a minimum, because they only reduce the chances of someone with a solution from posting. :)

RE: Microphone Automatically Adjusting Volume by mayamaya on 07-18-2010 at 08:17 AM

has this problem been fixed? same problem especially if your using a headset and the mic comes too close to the mouth. the slider wil go down to almost 10% volume making it harder to understand the person that your talking to. Same with a stand mic, You bump in the mic or touch it. It will automatically adjust the volume to a lower setting.