Shoutbox

External HDD Suggestions? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: External HDD Suggestions? (/showthread.php?tid=91017)

External HDD Suggestions? by Eddie on 06-11-2009 at 09:15 AM

Heya folks, im looking for a new external hard drive, largest possible size available in Perth, (in-store please), i have around $150 AUD to spend and would like to know which is the best?

RE: External HDD Suggestions? by Th3rmal on 06-11-2009 at 09:32 AM

Not Western Digital.

RE: External HDD Suggestions? by Discrate on 06-11-2009 at 09:38 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Eddie
Heya folks, im looking for a new external hard drive, largest possible size available in Perth, (in-store please), i have around $150 AUD to spend and would like to know which is the best?

lol, your pretty much wanting us to do your shopping for you.
Anyway we could all probs help you out with the size and cost but what store to get it from will be hard because there's like only 1 person who lives in perth and that's phillip lol.

anyway, i would suggest you go with Seagate and for around about 140 dollars you can pickup a Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM 32MB SATA 3Gbs.  Thats pretty much the best you will get.

RE: External HDD Suggestions? by Jarrod on 06-11-2009 at 10:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Th3rmal
Not Western Digital.
I have a WD,  it's fine,  I like it and they are ultra portable
RE: External HDD Suggestions? by NanaFreak on 06-11-2009 at 10:37 AM

i love my WD 1TB... though its about AU$175 atm... so that might be a little pricey for you... but you arent gonna get the quality if you opt for a lower brand and slightly higher space...

i love and only use WD...

RE: External HDD Suggestions? by prashker on 06-11-2009 at 11:27 AM

I disagree,

I have
2 500GB Seagate
and 2 500GB WD

(and a 1.5TB Seagate)

And so far neither has had anything wrong with them, so from a statistical point of view, in my experience, whichever is cheaper, go get it (y)

RE: External HDD Suggestions? by NanaFreak on 06-11-2009 at 11:52 AM

Seagate and WD are the ones to go with, i just prefer WD... mainly because i dont see Seagate as much and havent really used them before...

RE: External HDD Suggestions? by Th3rmal on 06-11-2009 at 11:57 AM

Well I have a WD, and the adapter broke within 3 months of having it, and it was a proprietary plug so I couldnt just buy a new adapter, ended up paying extra for a new housing.

Maybe mine was just bad luck, go with WD i guess.

RE: External HDD Suggestions? by Th3rmal on 06-11-2009 at 12:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by nimicitor
WESTERN DIGITAL ARE #1!
you present a strong case
RE: External HDD Suggestions? by Menthix on 06-11-2009 at 12:39 PM

What are you looking for? USB? eSata (Firewire?)

Also, are you looking for an all-in-one product which may make it harder if you want to replace the drive after a while, or do you want a generic external drive enclosure so you can buy any drive to put in it. Or are you looking for something portable (2.5 inch drives in a slim enclosure)?

Or do you want an ultra cool stand that allows you to insert bare drives on the fly so you can use any spare drive you have lying around?
[Image: nexstar%20034.JPG]

As for the actual harddisk itself. If it's not connected via eSata it really doesn't matter much what drive you put in there as you will never use it so its full speed anyway.

RE: External HDD Suggestions? by djdannyp on 06-11-2009 at 12:43 PM

I've got/had:

Western Digital 320GB oooold style...lasted ages until I plugged in the wrong power supply...and even then after a bit of fixing and fiddling it worked again (my brother now uses it)

Western Digital My Passport Elite 500GB...absolutely brilliant drive, quiet as anything, no external power supply, ULTRA portable

Seagate 750GB...again, absolutely brilliant, haven't had any problems in almost a year.

Basically go with WD or Seagate...unless it's going to be used solely on a desktop then I'd look to get one without a power supply, it's so much less hassle.

RE: External HDD Suggestions? by Th3rmal on 06-11-2009 at 12:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Menthix
What are you looking for? USB? eSata (Firewire?)

Also, are you looking for an all-in-one product which may make it harder if you want to replace the drive after a while, or do you want a generic external drive enclosure so you can buy any drive to put in it.

Or do you want an ultra cool stand that allows you to insert bare drives on the fly so you can use any spare drive you have lying around?
[Image: nexstar%20034.JPG]

As for the actual harddisk itself. If it's not connected via eSata it really doesn't matter much what drive you put in there as you will never use it so its full speed anyway.
now THAT, looks awesome!
Ive now got my WD in a NexStar case and I must say im quite happy with it.
RE: External HDD Suggestions? by Menthix on 06-11-2009 at 12:50 PM

quote:
now THAT, looks awesome!
I have a Sharkoon one myself (eSata), takes any 2.5" and 3.5" SATA HDD:
[Image: sata_quickport_pro.jpg]
http://www.sharkoon.com/html/produkte/externe_geh..._pro/index_en.html
RE: External HDD Suggestions? by Jarrod on 06-11-2009 at 12:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp
Western Digital My Passport Elite 500GB...absolutely brilliant drive, quiet as anything, no external power supply, ULTRA portable
i suggest one on these i have an essential, and they rock
RE: External HDD Suggestions? by Th3rmal on 06-11-2009 at 01:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Menthix
quote:
now THAT, looks awesome!
I have a harkoon one myself (eSata), takes any 2.5" and 3.5" SATA HDD:
[Image: sata_quickport_pro.jpg]
http://www.sharkoon.com/html/produkte/externe_geh..._pro/index_en.html
i cant find it on ebay :(
RE: External HDD Suggestions? by Eddie on 06-11-2009 at 01:16 PM

Yeah i've been looking mainly for Externals that have USB and eSATA support, i would prefer anything higher or equal to 640gb, i wont mind maybe going upto $200 but yeah.

RE: External HDD Suggestions? by Adeptus on 06-11-2009 at 01:20 PM

TBH, I don't like any of the full size 3.5" externals much and think they miss the point as a product category.  They are clunky and need an external power supply, so moving them between computers or carrying them with you will be more hassle than it's worth.  For stationary storage that always stays at home there are other things you should be considering -- NAS or just a plain internal drive if you use a desktop.

On the other hand, the portable external drives like the WD Passport are awesome because of the size and the fact they are powered from USB and don't have a separate power supply.  Since they are based on 2.5" laptop drives, you won't find any price/capacity leaders here, but they are very convenient -- and that's the point of having an external drive for me.