Shoutbox

Transport0.log ? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Transport0.log ? (/showthread.php?tid=91111)

Transport0.log ? by DolphinDude on 06-18-2009 at 08:28 PM

Howdy.

Every time I use WLM (14.0.8064.206), it creates a folder on my desktop titled "WindowsLiveMessenger" with a text log inside titled "Transport0.log".

The log says: 16:03:54.000 A60:258 ADVCED :: Module:Transport DLL-version:3.5.6872.0 Retail Adv:0

I looked at the WLM website, and call it came up with was "live call cannot establish a connection."

Erm. I don't use livecall, have no interest (and no capability) of using it, so how do I get it to stop putting that folder on my desktop? It gets rather annoying having to delete it every time after I close WLM.

RE: Transport0.log ? by alexthelion on 09-11-2010 at 03:11 PM

Hi
I have exactly the same probleme and impossible to delete it!
If someone get an idea?!

RE: Transport0.log ? by Lou on 09-12-2010 at 07:54 PM

A quick google search came up with this:

quote:
Knowledge Sutra Forums
Windows Live Messenger... Tools>>Options>>Connection>>Connection Settings>>Advanced Settings>>Connection Logging Box - Uncheck. Or, change your received files folder to something other than your desktop.

RE: Transport0.log ? by CookieRevised on 09-12-2010 at 10:18 PM

Those kind of logs are kind of debug logs from Messenger or other Windows Live related services. They are made to troubleshoot all kinds of problems. Those files are very usefull for MS and should be send to them when they ask for it when you're filing a bug or when you contact support. But note that such logs can contain personal and private info (especially the MsnMsgr.txt file!), so be careful not to publish them on public forums like this.

It depends a bit on your registry settings which logs are exactly made and where they are made.

In regards to the MsnMsgr.txt file:

This depends on the registry keys:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MSNMessenger\LogFileName
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MSNMessenger\LogFilePath
By default (eg: if the above keys don't exist) the name is MsnMsgr.txt and the path is your received files path in Messenger.

You could disable the creation of this log by disabling the connection logging of Windows Live Messenger:
Tools > Options > Connection > Advanced Settings > Save a log of my server connections to help troubleshoot connection problems.

Also see some old related posts
CookieRevised's reply to How can i record history of all users that login MSN.plus in my computer.
CookieRevised's reply to Messenger Plus! Live 4.60 is out
CookieRevised's reply to Can't sign in to MSN/Error 81000395

In regards to ???????0.log files (eg: Transport0.log):

The creation and location depends on the registry keys found under:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Tracing

Logging depends on what services/clients are defined as subkeys under the Tracing branch.
eg:
Windows Messenger 5.1 = RTCDLL
Office Communicator 1.0 = LCAPI
Office Communicator 1.1 = UCCP\Communicator
Windows Live Meeting = UCCP\LiveMeeting
Windows Live Messenger = UCCAPI\WindowsLiveMessenger
etc.

In each (sub)branch there is a EnableFileTracing key (DWORD) which enables the creation of the log files and a FileDirectory key (REG_SZ or REG_EXPAND_SZ) which contains the path where the specific log is created. The location of them does NOT depend on your received files path in Messenger!

Related log files are (but not limited to):
AudioCodecs0.log, AudioEngine0.log, ComAPI0.log, Common0.log, Crossbar0.log, Device0.log, Engine0.log, lcapi0.log, QualityController0.log, RawMedia0.log, RTP0.log, Transport0.log, VideoCodecs0.log, ...
where the 0 is the index of the last created file (also depends on some other registry key found under the same (sub)branch. But usually, and by default, this will always be 0 as only 1 file will be created).

---------

Beware: all these types of log files can contain quite a lot of personal/private data. Not only from yourself, but from your contacts too (eg: their email addresses). So please do not post such logs on public forums! I have never seen anybody -except Microsoft themself- being able to use such logs for proper troubleshooting anyways... So, please don't share them with anyone, except with MS when they ask for it.

Note: none of these log files have anything todo with adware, spyware or any kind of virus or other malware, despite what you may read on various other forums. They are logging and tracing files created by various MSN/Windows Live services to help debugging and error tracking and are not harmful in any way.

RE: Transport0.log ? by alexthelion on 09-13-2010 at 03:34 AM

Thanks for all these information but still enable to get rid of the unwanted folder on the desk...!
Anyone knows?

RE: Transport0.log ? by CookieRevised on 09-13-2010 at 06:42 AM

You first need to exit all Windows Live services/programs. Because as long as some service/program is running, those files are locked. After that you follow the instructions given above (everything you need is there) to either disable the logging or to change the log directories.

RE: Transport0.log ? by alexthelion on 09-13-2010 at 09:15 AM

I have tried that already mate...
Disable the logging (but how to change directories!?) then disconnect all windows live servives, put the folder in the rubish (ok if all closed), even start the computer again, re-connect msn, and surprise....the folder appears again on the desk....
So those solution are not correct for the problem...

RE: Transport0.log ? by djdannyp on 09-13-2010 at 09:27 AM

quote:
Originally posted by alexthelion
Disable the logging (but how to change directories!?)

Did you read what was said? :

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
In each (sub)branch there is a EnableFileTracing key (DWORD) which enables the creation of the log files and a FileDirectory key (REG_SZ or REG_EXPAND_SZ) which contains the path where the specific log is created. The location of them does NOT depend on your received files path in Messenger!

RE: Transport0.log ? by alexthelion on 09-13-2010 at 10:55 AM

What makes you think I did not?!

RE: Transport0.log ? by CookieRevised on 09-13-2010 at 11:12 AM

quote:
What makes you think I did not read?!
Your question on how to change the directory and your other comments. Because I gave the explicit registry keys involved and what they are used for.

See my previous post:
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
So either disable file logging by setting EnableFileTracing to 0, or change the output path by changing the string in FileDirectory. Note that this must be done for each specific service/program (and thus subkey).

RE: Transport0.log ? by alexthelion on 09-13-2010 at 11:43 AM

@ CookieRevised
Could you explain me step by step how to get rid of the folder on my desk please?
(et si tu peux me l'expliquer en francais, j'ai vu que tu habitais la Belgique, ce serait encore mieux!)

A big thanks to "CookieRevised"
It seems to work finally, I replaced all or almost all the enablefiletracing to zero, and when I connected MSN again this unwanted folder did not re-appears on the desk again....
A bit complicated to do but works so far...
Thanks again for helping everyone :)
RE: Transport0.log ? by CookieRevised on 09-13-2010 at 12:31 PM

quote:
(et si tu peux me l'expliquer en francais, j'ai vu que tu habitais la Belgique, ce serait encore mieux!)
I would if I could, but I live in the Flemish part of Belgium and I can't realy speak French (I do understand it a very small bit), so unfortunatly I can't explain it in French, sorry... :(

But I see you figured it out by yourself (y)
quote:
A big thanks to "CookieRevised"
It seems to work finally, I replaced all or almost all the enablefiletracing to zero, and when I connected MSN again this unwanted folder did not re-appears on the desk again....
A bit complicated to do but works so far...
Thanks again for helping everyone
you're welcome. ;)
RE: Transport0.log ? by tanzboy on 05-20-2011 at 10:45 PM

Hi to all.
I have did all the things saw by Cookie, but I have got always the problem of the "Transport0" file.
Why this? :(

Look at here:
[Image: immagineul.jpg]

I'm using the ultimate version of Live Messenger for XP, with the ultimate version of MSN Plus.
(Sorry if my english is bad, I'm italian from Rome.)

RE: Transport0.log ? by CookieRevised on 05-21-2011 at 01:35 AM

There is more than one key you must change, you must change the keys in _all_ (sub)branches.

RE: Transport0.log ? by tanzboy on 05-21-2011 at 09:19 AM

Ops, I haven't read it good!

I tried to search in all the sub branches,
and now works without the folder!

Very thanks Cookie, and sorry for the mistake!