Shoutbox

disable WLM start with O.S ? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: disable WLM start with O.S ? (/showthread.php?tid=91113)

disable WLM start with O.S ? by rocknet on 06-19-2009 at 02:26 AM

my WLM is always start with my Vista O.S.
how to disable it ???

RE: disable WLM start with O.S ? by NanaFreak on 06-19-2009 at 02:46 AM

once you login you go to the options window > sign in > uncheck Automatically run windows live messenger when i log on to windows

:)

RE: disable WLM start with O.S ? by Butcher_ss on 06-19-2009 at 05:40 PM

Once i had a problem with Windows Live Messenger and it would freeze my pc once it started, unfortunately the suggestion you suggested would not work in that case as it couldn't get into the program to disable it during startup. An alternative method would be to use run>>msconfig>> and uncheck the msnmsgnr.exe service from the startup page (this must be done in safe mode where the program does not run).

RE: disable WLM start with O.S ? by CookieRevised on 06-19-2009 at 09:24 PM

[OFF TOPIC]

quote:
Originally posted by Butcher_ss
An alternative method would be to use run>>msconfig>> and uncheck the msnmsgnr.exe service from the startup page (this must be done in safe mode where the program does not run).
Never use msconfig to permanently disable an application from starting up!

Reasons: see some old thread and post of mine... no time to search it for myself...

Better remove the regisrty setting yourself, manually.
Or use a program like AutoRuns (search with google on 'AutoRuns'), which is the best and most updated program which lists _all_ startup entries for Windows.

[/OFF TOPIC]
RE: disable WLM start with O.S ? by Butcher_ss on 06-20-2009 at 04:36 AM

That wasn't a permanent solution but only when you get a problem once WLM starts. I had a problem with some scripts and once WLM attempted to connect it would freeze up my pc. Disabling the process on startup through safe mode and msconfig allowed me to re-install the application. I have no problem playing with the registry but i find this an easier way.