Shoutbox

Supporting Greek language on my Windows Vista OS - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Supporting Greek language on my Windows Vista OS (/showthread.php?tid=91148)

Supporting Greek language on my Windows Vista OS by Giulia on 06-21-2009 at 08:03 PM

Hello,
I know how to change a keyboard language, but I am barely able to manage the languages setting in my OS.

Here is my problem.
I try to install a language pack for my Firefox browser. The problem is when I use the software with the Greek language set, I have cabalistic signs, like that : σου στέλνω το όνομα των φίλων μου και το τηλέφωνό τoυς.
Even with the best will, I am unable to read those characters.

I ask you some help because I don't want to be hazardous while setting my pc : being hazardous may damage the entire computer :-#

Thanks for your help

RE: Supporting Greek language on my Windows Vista OS by Chancer on 06-21-2009 at 09:51 PM

Only Vista Ultimate can have it's language changed.
Download it at Windows Update, then change under Regional and Language Settings.

RE: RE: Supporting Greek language on my Windows Vista OS by Giulia on 06-21-2009 at 10:01 PM

Hi Chancer,

quote:
Originally posted by Chancer
Download it at Windows Update, then change under Regional and Language Settings.
Thanks for having tried to provide me some help, but I think you have misunderstood the issue.

The problem is not changing the Vista language menus, the problem is making Vista accept a language pack for a software in Greek.
On XP, it was very easy to manage this problem, with Vista, it's just a plain nightmare. :S
RE: Supporting Greek language on my Windows Vista OS by blessedguy on 06-21-2009 at 10:08 PM

quote:
She's trying to change Firefox's language, not system's ;) Or I wound't be able to see Chinese/Japanese characters since I don't have those MUIs instaled =)
Don't know why that's happening, in my Vista for example, I can normally use the Greek language with greek characters.
You could try to enable the Greek keyboard layout, even though I don't know if that'd help.
RE: RE: Supporting Greek language on my Windows Vista OS by Giulia on 06-21-2009 at 10:19 PM

Hi,

quote:
Originally posted by blessedguy
quote:
She's trying to change Firefox's language, not system's ;) Or I wound't be able to see Chinese/Japanese characters since I don't have those MUIs instaled =)
Don't know why that's happening, in my Vista for example, I can normally use the Greek language with greek characters.
You could try to enable the Greek keyboard layout, even though I don't know if that'd help.
Thanks for providing me an idea, however, it's already done (I use this keyboard layout when I have to write in Greek) and it doesn't change anything related to my pack language in Firefox....

The weirdest thing is that I can write on my text writer in Greek without any problem, but when it comes to read a software pack language, then I have cabalistic signs.  :S

Any (I) to help me ?
RE: Supporting Greek language on my Windows Vista OS by Chancer on 06-21-2009 at 10:44 PM

Oh, my mistake. I thought she wanted to change Windows' language.

Try View > Codification > Auto select > Universal.
If it doesn't work, try other codifications. If any of them work you can make it the default (somehow).

RE: RE: Supporting Greek language on my Windows Vista OS by Giulia on 06-21-2009 at 10:52 PM

quote:
Oh, my mistake. I thought she wanted to change Windows' language.

Try View > Codification > Auto select > Universal.
If it doesn't work, try other codifications. If any of them work you can make it the default (somehow).
Thanks Chancer, and no big deal to have misunderstood the issue ;)

Your idea seems great, however, I have the display language system in.... French ! So I have no idea where the feature is in the Control Panel *-)
RE: Supporting Greek language on my Windows Vista OS by Chancer on 06-21-2009 at 11:04 PM

It's in the 3rd menu in Firefox' bar, not in the control panel.

RE: RE: Supporting Greek language on my Windows Vista OS by Giulia on 06-21-2009 at 11:13 PM

quote:
It's in the 3rd menu in Firefox' bar, not in the control panel.
Thanks for getting me to it. However, it doesn't work to read a pack language for the software, it works only to read webpages or site.

So I'm at the same point as I was before..... :-#:S
RE: Supporting Greek language on my Windows Vista OS by ShawnZ on 06-21-2009 at 11:17 PM

i think we need a translator before giulia's computer gets even more screwed up :p

RE: RE: Supporting Greek language on my Windows Vista OS by Giulia on 06-21-2009 at 11:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
i think we need a translator before giulia's computer gets even more screwed up :p
:D
Your humor is a real bubble in this thread :)
RE: Supporting Greek language on my Windows Vista OS by Chancer on 06-21-2009 at 11:39 PM

LOL
What exactly do you need in Greek: websites or Firefox interface?

RE: RE: Supporting Greek language on my Windows Vista OS by Giulia on 06-21-2009 at 11:54 PM

quote:
LOL
What exactly do you need in Greek: websites or Firefox interface?
Firefox interface :$
RE: Supporting Greek language on my Windows Vista OS by Chancer on 06-22-2009 at 12:00 AM

Then you'd better download Firefox in Greek:
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all.html

RE: RE: Supporting Greek language on my Windows Vista OS by Giulia on 06-22-2009 at 12:02 AM

quote:
Then you'd better download Firefox in Greek:
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all.html
I already tried this solution, and I had the cabalistic signs shown in my first post in this topic....
RE: Supporting Greek language on my Windows Vista OS by Jarrod on 06-22-2009 at 06:55 AM

maybe the characters aren't installed correctly?

RE: RE: Supporting Greek language on my Windows Vista OS by Giulia on 06-22-2009 at 01:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jarrod
Where can I check it on Vista ?
RE: Supporting Greek language on my Windows Vista OS by ShawnZ on 06-22-2009 at 01:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Giulia
quote:

well, that shouldn't be happening on vista, but i guess you could try installing vista's greek language pack :p

Control Panel > Clock, Language, and Region > Install or uninstall display languages
RE: RE: Supporting Greek language on my Windows Vista OS by Giulia on 06-22-2009 at 03:21 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:

well, that shouldn't be happening on vista, but i guess you could try installing vista's greek language pack :p

Control Panel > Clock, Language, and Region > Install or uninstall display languages
Thanks for your reply :)
I can't find the tab "Install or uninstall display languages" in my French "Clock, language and region".

RE: Supporting Greek language on my Windows Vista OS by ShawnZ on 06-22-2009 at 03:33 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Thanks for your reply :)
I can't find the tab "Install or uninstall display languages" in my French "Clock, language and region".

it's underneath "Clock, Language, and Region > Region and Language > Keyboards and Languages > Display Language", or something like that :p
RE: Supporting Greek language on my Windows Vista OS by Giulia on 06-23-2009 at 02:41 AM

Hello Shawn :)

quote:
it's underneath "Clock, Language, and Region > Region and Language > Keyboards and Languages > Display Language", or something like that :p
:o Unbelievable that I reply sooooooooooooooooo late ! :o

I have been in the Keyboards and Languages panel to see if there was a solution, I found no entry to manage the language support on the OS. No display language there :S :-# ^o)