Shoutbox

feature suggestion - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: feature suggestion (/showthread.php?tid=91248)

feature suggestion by Jarrod on 06-28-2009 at 01:18 PM

remember when DZ added that separators between normal threads and important threads, well I propose he make the separators collapsible so once you have read all the stickies you can collapse the separator and have more room for recent threads :)

RE: feature suggestion by NanaFreak on 06-28-2009 at 01:41 PM

no. use latest.php

RE: feature suggestion by djdannyp on 06-28-2009 at 10:00 PM

sounds like a perfectly reasonable idea to me....nice suggestion (Y)

RE: feature suggestion by Nagamasa on 06-29-2009 at 01:06 PM

Excellent idea!

What would be better is that we finally upgraded the forums :P (but I don't think it's coming :().

RE: feature suggestion by Jarrod on 07-04-2009 at 12:22 AM

quote:
Originally posted by NanaFreak
no. use latest.php
based on that logic we could just rename latest.php index.php and it would be so much easier:P
but tbh i don't like using latest.php all that much
RE: feature suggestion by wacky on 07-04-2009 at 08:49 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Jarrod
remember when DZ added that separators between normal threads and important threads, well I propose he make the separators collapsible so once you have read all the stickies you can collapse the separator and have more room for recent threads :)
many people seem to need certain stickies to stay at the top. For whatever reason it may be. They're stickies because they are important. They're easy to find and in-your-face. Sometimes it's good to see, for example, the sticky named 'A good old word called ''respect'' '. Helps to remember that little word (that means a lot) while writing posts (some people need to look at it more often :chrongue:)

Also, some people will register, read some of the stickies and leave. But they could come back wanting/needing to read them again and then they wouldn't be able to find them as easily.

Anyway, that's my point of view. Plus, latest.php ftw \o/
RE: feature suggestion by wacky on 07-04-2009 at 08:58 AM

oh ok, you'd be doing it yourself, choosing which you want to collapse?

I understood it like you read it once and it collapses on it's own and goes down like the rest of threads

RE: feature suggestion by WDZ on 07-04-2009 at 10:45 AM

Seems like a reasonable idea, but what if a new sticky thread is posted after you collapse the section? You might never see it :/

RE: feature suggestion by NanaFreak on 07-04-2009 at 11:07 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Seems like a reasonable idea, but what if a new sticky thread is posted after you collapse the section? You might never see it :/
maybe you have a time/date of when they close it and check if any threads have been placed in there after that time, and if so display a number in a red circular background? yes that is a lot of work but it would be alright =p
RE: feature suggestion by Lou on 07-04-2009 at 03:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Could just force them to un-collapse as soon as a new thread is stickied :P.
RE: feature suggestion by Jarrod on 07-05-2009 at 12:16 AM

or make them bolded or something if there is an unread thread

RE: feature suggestion by WDZ on 09-21-2009 at 01:36 AM

I added the feature, and what I decided to do is just show the total number of threads hidden, how many of them have unread posts (if any), and when the latest post was. That's probably good enough for now. :p

Example

RE: feature suggestion by andrey on 09-21-2009 at 02:01 AM

hiding important threads kinda defeats the purpose :p
how about preventing people with less than 100 posts from collapsing them?
if i recall correctly, 100 posts is the minimum amount for giving reps, so if a member is experienced enough he is expected to have read the stickies and can collapse them.

RE: feature suggestion by Jarrod on 09-21-2009 at 04:34 AM

thanx DZ