Shoutbox

PDF Scripting Document - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Thread: PDF Scripting Document (/showthread.php?tid=91268)

PDF Scripting Document by ultimatebuster on 06-30-2009 at 01:15 AM

Hi!

I'm trying to read through the official document. Is there a PDF version of this? That would make may life a lot easier.

Thanks!

RE: PDF Scripting Document by matty on 06-30-2009 at 01:48 AM

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Z39WG97Q

This was made with a trial version so the menu has [Trial Version] infront of everything...

RE: PDF Scripting Document by ultimatebuster on 06-30-2009 at 02:23 AM

Oh yeah, I'm a kind of confused by the object/event reference. For example if have Contact::Name, it tells me:

This is a read-only property.
[string] Name;

But how do I use it? Like Contact.Name(syntax)?? What's going on.

RE: PDF Scripting Document by matty on 06-30-2009 at 02:38 AM

Well there is a few ways of getting it:

Javascript code:
/* Looping through the contact list */
for ( var oContact = new Enumerator ( Messenger.MyContacts ); !oContact.atEnd(); oContact.moveNext() ) {
    Debug.Trace ( oContact.item().Name );
}

/* If you know the email */
var oContact = Messenger.GetContact ( 'johndoe@hotmail.com' );
Debug.Trace ( oContact.Name );

RE: PDF Scripting Document by ultimatebuster on 06-30-2009 at 01:44 PM

Is there a more comprehensive tutorial somewhere?

RE: PDF Scripting Document by matty on 06-30-2009 at 01:47 PM

There are an immense amount of tickets and same code on the forum.

If you need help or questions answered feel free to post :)

http://mpscripts.net will become a full scripting resource at some point in time.

RE: PDF Scripting Document by ultimatebuster on 06-30-2009 at 05:38 PM

The Scripting document is nice, but it's not as easy to read for a scripting newbie. I have some novice VB.Net experience. That's a bout it.

So if I read the scripting document all the way through, I can become an "expert" on Msg Live Plus scripting?

RE: PDF Scripting Document by Mnjul on 06-30-2009 at 05:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ultimatebuster
So if I read the scripting document all the way through, I can become an "expert" on Msg Live Plus scripting?
Probably not.

You may become an expert on Plus! scripting through doing much programming by yourself, through discovering, figuring-out-why and fixing bugs of your scripts, through asking questions and reading people's answers on the forums, and (possibly) through reading others' codes.

Actually as far as we're talking about programming, it's pretty much the same, regardless of the language and the target platform.
RE: RE: PDF Scripting Document by ultimatebuster on 06-30-2009 at 06:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mnjul
quote:
Originally posted by ultimatebuster
Probably not.

You may become an expert on Plus! scripting through doing much programming by yourself, through discovering, figuring-out-why and fixing bugs of your scripts, through asking questions and reading people's answers on the forums, and (possibly) through reading others' codes.

Actually as far as we're talking about programming, it's pretty much the same, regardless of the language and the target platform.

So how did you, or anyone else get started?
RE: PDF Scripting Document by matty on 06-30-2009 at 07:00 PM

I took classes which (this will date me) was Visual Basic 3 at the time. Then I learned VB6 (same language). Then I tackled Plus! scripting which is JScript. If you are familar with Javascript that is "half" the battle.

RE: RE: PDF Scripting Document by ultimatebuster on 06-30-2009 at 07:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by matty
I took classes which (this will date me) was Visual Basic 3 at the time. Then I learned VB6 (same language). Then I tackled Plus! scripting which is JScript. If you are familar with Javascript that is "half" the battle.

Unfortunately I'm still learning JavaScript. So JScript will the be whole" battle for me.

RE: RE: PDF Scripting Document by mathieumg on 06-30-2009 at 08:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mnjul
doing much programming by yourself, through discovering, figuring-out-why and fixing bugs of your scripts, through asking questions and reading people's answers on the forums, and (possibly) through reading others' codes.

This. Especially the latter, you can understand why/how something was done and perhaps improve on it.
RE: PDF Scripting Document by SmokingCookie on 07-01-2009 at 02:39 PM

You may want to check out some JScript/JavaScript tutorials (in case you haven't done that already)?

I'm free from school now for about 6 weeks (if not: more), so I'll have plenty of time to write a tutorial. I'll think about it ;)