Shoutbox

[VB.NET] Adding icons for file association - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: [VB.NET] Adding icons for file association (/showthread.php?tid=91301)

[VB.NET] Adding icons for file association by ryxdp on 07-02-2009 at 09:54 AM

Is there a way to add icons to a VB.NET project so that the compiled .exe shows in, for example Resource Hacker, not just the program icon but the other icons? I would like to know how to do this to add an icon for a file extension used by my application. I've looked around and apparently it's something VS.NET needs badly, but if someone could clear things up for me it would be appreciated :)

RE: [VB.NET] Adding icons for file association by pollolibredegrasa on 07-02-2009 at 10:50 AM

Using the VB 2008 IDE(possibly earlier versions, I don't know), you can click File>Open File and select your .exe. This should show a resource tree which you can right-click, choose "Add Resource", select "Icon" and then "Import". Once you've selected the icon, click save/save all and the icon should now be viewable in reshacker.

I don't think there's any built-in automated way of doing it though, so this will need to be done every time you recompile your exe.

(Of course, you can also use reshacker to do exactly the same thing, but since the functionality is in VS I thought I'd mention it anyway :P)

Hope this helps

RE: RE: [VB.NET] Adding icons for file association by ryxdp on 07-03-2009 at 08:26 AM

quote:
Originally posted by pollolibredegrasa
This should show a resource tree which you can right-click, choose "Add Resource", select "Icon" and then "Import".

When I open the .exe it comes up with the Object Browser, which I assume you mean by resource tree, but there is no "Add Resource" button anywhere when I right click on it.

EDIT: Oh well, I guess I'll have to use ResHacker anyway. It seems to do the job nicely, but I wish VB.NET allowed you to put other icons in your compiled application...