Shoutbox

Here's a little project I've been working on (YouTube closed-captions ripper) - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Here's a little project I've been working on (YouTube closed-captions ripper) (/showthread.php?tid=91311)

Here's a little project I've been working on (YouTube closed-captions ripper) by Mike on 07-02-2009 at 11:21 PM

This is a little project I've been working on. It allows you to download closed-captions/subtitles from YouTube videos that use the CC feature (unfortunately, they're not that many :() in .srt format so that you can use them with the downloaded videos! (H)

Unicode subs do not work yet, but I hope to fix this in the next few days...

This site also uses AJAX (well, it's some very simple AJAX, but it's still AJAX...)! :P

Here's the site: http://mike.thedt.net/ytsubs/ytsubs.php

Feedback is welcome :)

RE: Here's a little project I've been working on (YouTube closed-captions ripper) by Nathan on 07-03-2009 at 01:58 AM

Hmm I don't understand the purpose :S

RE: Here's a little project I've been working on (YouTube closed-captions ripper) by Mike on 07-03-2009 at 08:49 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Nathan
Hmm I don't understand the purpose :S
Well, suppose you really like this video and you'd like to download it for offline access or to put it in your portable video player (mobile phone, MP4 player, etc).

However, you probably don't speak Japanese, so you can't understand a thing of what they're saying.
Since this video has English subtitles you can download them so that you can understand what they're saying even when you're not watching this video from YouTube :D
RE: Here's a little project I've been working on (YouTube closed-captions ripper) by Mike on 07-05-2009 at 12:29 AM

Small update:

quote:
Originally posted by http://mike.thedt.net/ytsubs
2009-07-05 v1.2:

* Added the ability to select the encoding (UTF-8 is now supported!)
    * Added a classic AJAX loading animation
    * Added a ShareThis button

Sorry for the double-post, and thanks to the mod who did all the cleaning :)
RE: Here's a little project I've been working on (YouTube closed-captions ripper) by Mike on 10-17-2009 at 03:17 PM

Allow me to bump this thread by triple posting because Google sucks :(
Searching for "YouTube closed-captions ripper" (with quotes) won't show my website in the results (while it will for Yahoo and Bing)!
I'm not sure what to do. I've even tried making a sitemap! The only thing that I haven't done is to list it on my main webpage, but I doubt that Google frequents there.

So, I'm bumping this thread in hopes that Google will pick the link inside this thread (because it already picks up this thread).

Oh, and btw, I released a new update today! :P

RE: Here's a little project I've been working on (YouTube closed-captions ripper) by Nathan on 11-11-2009 at 12:01 AM

You need to get some linkbacks to the site for google to even start contemplating you go round forums post about it ask for features (it's an excuse to link to it :P). Put it in signatures etc.

RE: Here's a little project I've been working on (YouTube closed-captions ripper) by Mike on 11-11-2009 at 12:45 PM

quote:
You need to get some linkbacks to the site for google to even start contemplating you go round forums post about it ask for features (it's an excuse to link to it :P). Put it in signatures etc.
Yep, Lou suggested the same thing :P
Let's just hope that the mods are ok with it (A)

EDIT: Blah, it looks like I have to go and enable my sig in all of my previous posts :-/
RE: Here's a little project I've been working on (YouTube closed-captions ripper) by Nathan on 11-11-2009 at 04:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mike
quote:
Yep, Lou suggested the same thing :P
Let's just hope that the mods are ok with it (A)

EDIT: Blah, it looks like I have to go and enable my sig in all of my previous posts :-/

Hm, seems like it's bugged you shouldn't have too. Bug WDZ about it.
RE: Here's a little project I've been working on (YouTube closed-captions ripper) by Menthix on 11-11-2009 at 04:39 PM

quote:
Blah, it looks like I have to go and enable my sig in all of my previous posts
In the UserCP where you change your signature, did you check 'Enable signature in all my existing posts' and hit 'Update Signature'?
RE: Here's a little project I've been working on (YouTube closed-captions ripper) by Nathan on 11-11-2009 at 04:45 PM

I'd use this if you added MP3 (highest quality) so I can rip sound :P

RE: Here's a little project I've been working on (YouTube closed-captions ripper) by Mike on 11-12-2009 at 05:43 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Menthix
quote:
Blah, it looks like I have to go and enable my sig in all of my previous posts
In the UserCP where you change your signature, did you check 'Enable signature in all my existing posts' and hit 'Update Signature'?
That did it, thanks :)

quote:
I'd use this if you added MP3 (highest quality) so I can rip sound :P
I'd love to (then I could also add a rip subs to .lrc feature), but I'm not sure if running an encoder (ffmpeg) is fine (they use a lot of CPU power). I could also demux the audio, but it doesn't seem to be working on non-flv files.
Besides, I can't add a cron job to automatically delete the download videos/converted files, so I'll have to rely on the same script to do it.
RE: Here's a little project I've been working on (YouTube closed-captions ripper) by Nathan on 11-16-2009 at 12:43 AM

Just do eeeet! :P

RE: Here's a little project I've been working on (YouTube closed-captions ripper) by ipab on 11-19-2009 at 06:45 PM

http://mashable.com/2009/11/19/youtube-automatic-captions/

Your tool seems even more useful now :)

RE: Here's a little project I've been working on (YouTube closed-captions ripper) by djdannyp on 11-19-2009 at 11:25 PM

Wow, really impressed by that new (coming soon) functionality