Shoutbox

Are cookies considered malware? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Are cookies considered malware? (/showthread.php?tid=91374)

Are cookies considered malware? by alegator on 07-08-2009 at 11:44 AM

I have noticed that for most malware scanners (Spyware Doctor,etc) cookies are considered low risk malware. My experience has shown that selecting cookies for removal after a scan in general creates more problems than advantages (I had an issue of Bookmarks corruption in Firefox due to this). So, am I safe leaving cookies in my PC? Does it compromise my PC's security?

RE: Are cookies considered malware? by ShawnZ on 07-08-2009 at 11:46 AM

quote:
Originally posted by alegator
So, am I safe leaving cookies in my PC?
yes
quote:
Originally posted by alegator
Does it compromise my PC's security?
no
RE: Are cookies considered malware? by Jarrod on 07-08-2009 at 01:16 PM

quote:
Cookies are subject to a number of misconceptions, mostly based on the erroneous notion that they are computer programs that run on a user's computer. In fact, cookies are simple pieces of text data that affect the operation of a web server, not the client, and do so in very specific ways. In particular, they are neither spyware nor viruses, although cookies from certain sites are described as spyware by many anti-spyware products because they can allow users to be tracked when they visit various sites.

Most modern browsers allow users to decide whether to accept cookies, and the time frame to keep them, but rejecting cookies makes some websites unusable. For example, shopping carts or login systems implemented using cookies do not work if cookies are disabled.

RE: Are cookies considered malware? by RaceProUK on 07-08-2009 at 05:33 PM

Most cookies have similar contents and purposes, and all are harmless, though sites can use them maliciously. If you want to be sure, you can configure your web browser to accept cookies only from the originating domain i.e. visiting example.com won't leave a cookie from example.net.

RE: Are cookies considered malware? by TheSteve on 07-09-2009 at 12:42 AM

The main "malicious" use is tracking which sites you go to so that they can serve you ads that you will be more likely to click on.

It's simply a privacy issue.