Shoutbox

Time for a new computer :D - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Time for a new computer :D (/showthread.php?tid=91435)

Time for a new computer :D by Th3rmal on 07-12-2009 at 09:39 AM

Well its time for me to upgrade my computer, and I would like the opinions of the sexy forum members about the specs I have chosen.

My budget was $2000AUD, and Ive come in at $1950 which is nice.

Without further ado, here are the specs:
Mobo - Asus P6T
Ram - 6gb Kit (3x2gb) DDR3 1333 G.Skill-NQ
HDD - 1TB W.D SATA
GFX card - 1GB Gigabyte GTX 285
Processor - Intel Core i7 920
Optical Drive - Pioneer 218 Dual Layer DVDRW
Case - Coolermaster Elite 330
PSU - Antec EarthWatts 750 Watts
LCD - 20" LG WS DVI 5ms W2043T-PF

Opinions...GO!

edit: oh and ill be putting on the latest 64 bit RC of Windows 7 as the os. I will also have the following items with the comp, taken from my current comp.

Second monitor: 24" WS Dell LCD
Sound system: Creative Inspire T1600 5.1
Keyboard: Logitech Wave corded
Mouse: Logitech VX Revolution
TV Tuner: Leadtek USB Dongle Gold

RE: Time for a new computer :D by Discrate on 07-12-2009 at 09:53 AM

Why 6gb DDR3 ram? tbh 4gb DDR3 ram for would be fine. As for everything else looks like a pretty good setup, especially the gfx card

RE: Time for a new computer :D by ShawnZ on 07-12-2009 at 10:01 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Discrate
Why 6gb DDR3 ram? tbh 4gb DDR3 ram for would be fine. As for everything else looks like a pretty good setup, especially the gfx card

because DDR3 is triple channel. you buy ram in sets of 3 equal sticks, not 2.
RE: Time for a new computer :D by Th3rmal on 07-12-2009 at 10:04 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
quote:

good enough reason for me lol
RE: Time for a new computer :D by John Anderton on 07-12-2009 at 10:06 AM

Are you sure you're going to be using that much power or is this one of those "I've got to have the most powerful box I can get" kinda things cause trust me, I've done that.. but I've realized its better to just get something you need rather than trying to max out everything :P
Spending all that much just doesn't seem logical to me.

Anyway, to answer your question, yes, it seems like a good rig to me. I'd invest in a BD drive if its cheap and you plan to use this PC for 4 years or so with no additions. Or you you just get it in a couple of years when it becomes main stream :P

RE: RE: Time for a new computer :D by Discrate on 07-12-2009 at 10:09 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
quote:

Yes but he needs x64 thats why i said 4gb of DDR3 which you can buy.

Edit: he updated the thread and has said hes getting x64
RE: Time for a new computer :D by Th3rmal on 07-12-2009 at 10:10 AM

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
Are you sure you're going to be using that much power or is this one of those "I've got to have the most powerful box I can get" kinda things cause trust me, I've done that.. but I've realized its better to just get something you need rather than trying to max out everything :P
Spending all that much just doesn't seem logical to me.

Anyway, to answer your question, yes, it seems like a good rig to me. I'd invest in a BD drive if its cheap and you plan to use this PC for 4 years or so with no additions. Or you you just get it in a couple of years when it becomes main stream :P
well i dont have a blu ray player, or a full hd tv, so Ill get one down the track :P
RE: Time for a new computer :D by ShawnZ on 07-12-2009 at 10:11 AM

quote:
Yes but he needs x64 thats why i said 4gb of DDR3 which you can buy.

it would still make much more sense to get 3GB than 4GB in that case :p
RE: Time for a new computer :D by Jarrod on 07-12-2009 at 10:12 AM

quote:
I'd invest in a BD drive
they are cheaper than I expected but here are the prices for a bd drive
http://www.staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=blu-ray+burner&spos=3
RE: Time for a new computer :D by Th3rmal on 07-12-2009 at 01:40 PM

There is no way ill be getting a mac, i just need an opinion on the current specs that i have specified :)

RE: Time for a new computer :D by segosa on 07-12-2009 at 03:30 PM

You know, why don't you macfags go visit a gay bar or something where you can discuss your love for cock in all the detail you require?

Anyway, why don't we get back to talking about Th3rmal's PC's specs like he intended when he posted this thread?

Th3rmal: Your set up is pretty much exactly mine, which I bought a few weeks ago. The i7 920 is lovely, and with 6GB of DDR3 RAM and Windows 7 x64 it flies. Only one consideration, based on a friend's recent purchase of a similar system (also i7 920, no overclocking): he found during heavy gaming the stock cooler wasn't sufficient for cooling the CPU, so you might want to invest in a better heatsink.

RE: Time for a new computer :D by Th3rmal on 07-12-2009 at 09:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by segosa

Th3rmal: Your set up is pretty much exactly mine, which I bought a few weeks ago. The i7 920 is lovely, and with 6GB of DDR3 RAM and Windows 7 x64 it flies. Only one consideration, based on a friend's recent purchase of a similar system (also i7 920, no overclocking): he found during heavy gaming the stock cooler wasn't sufficient for cooling the CPU, so you might want to invest in a better heatsink.
Ah thanks for that, hadnt considered that. Is it possible to get a better heatsink for around $50AUD?
RE: RE: Time for a new computer :D by Discrate on 07-12-2009 at 09:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Th3rmal
quote:

Ah thanks for that, hadnt considered that. Is it possible to get a better heatsink for around $50AUD?

Yeh, http://www.centrecom.com.au/catalog/default.php?page=1&cPath=75   :P
RE: RE: Time for a new computer :D by segosa on 07-12-2009 at 11:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Th3rmal
quote:

Yeah, as Discrate's post shows, any decent non-stock cooler isn't particularly expensive, and does a better job of cooling.
RE: Time for a new computer :D by John Anderton on 07-13-2009 at 03:45 AM

DDR3 is triple channeled? Didn't know that myself :|
:P

RE: RE: Time for a new computer :D by segosa on 07-13-2009 at 02:10 PM

quote:

the clue's in the 3
RE: Time for a new computer :D by Th3rmal on 07-13-2009 at 09:25 PM

Well in about 9 hours time I will hopefully be getting all the parts (assuming they havent run out of anything, last time I called they didnt have  my gfx card but they said they might be getting some in that day), and assembling it, once its done ill tell you how it is :P

RE: Time for a new computer :D by Phillip on 07-13-2009 at 09:32 PM

Ok.

RE: Time for a new computer :D by Th3rmal on 07-14-2009 at 10:01 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Phillip
Ok.
Thanks for your support :P

Anyway, I did it, I bought and assembled my new computer.

I had to get a cheaper brand of my gfx card (they didnt have the one I wanted in) and bought a Thermaltake M9 case instead.

Either way, its awesome :P Still dont have win7 till tomorrow tho (well I have 32 bit, just not 64 bit yet)

Will post results on how it performs!
RE: Time for a new computer :D by ShawnZ on 07-15-2009 at 02:28 AM

quote:
quote:
quote:

the clue's in the 3

to be fair, apparently dual channel ddr3 chipsets are available, but the i7 isn't one of them. so I guess the fact that most ddr3 equipment is triple channel isn't so much the spec, but rather just convention. I wouldn't be surprised if the decision to go primarily triple channel from intel/etc had something to do with the fact that it's ddr version 3, though.
RE: Time for a new computer :D by Th3rmal on 07-15-2009 at 09:16 AM

Posting this from my new, awesome, lightning fast comp :D:D

Had one minor issue, one of my ram sticks didnt work, so I had to exchange it for another one, but now everything is fine.

And it only took 30 minutes total to install win7, im impressed at this new os already.

RE: Time for a new computer :D by CookieRevised on 07-15-2009 at 09:35 AM

A quick read in regards to tripple and dual channel memory, with the Core i7:

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/1665/intel_core..._cut_it/index.html

Conclusion: in the real world there is a difference, but certainly not much, between the use of dual and tripple channel memory.

----

That's a kickass system though, Th3rmal's, I'm jealous.... :drool:

RE: Time for a new computer :D by albert on 07-15-2009 at 12:25 PM

I got around the same setup really (just finished building it a few days ago) :

- i7 920
- Itel DX58SO
- 6GB OCZ DDR3 1600
- 128GB SSD from G.Skillz
- XFX GTX 260 Black Edition
- SilverStone Raven's Casing

As far as the heat sink that comes with it goes, if you plan on over clocking minimally, you really buy one.

In my case, I'm still on the stock one; it's my first real build and just putting it together was a challenge on it's own.

If you want some better windows performance, an SSD will give you very good speeds (check the OCZ vertex series or the G.Skill Falcon).

You do have an extremely powerful GPU though, something I personally did not need since I don't do much gaming on the machine.