Shoutbox

about editing scripts - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Thread: about editing scripts (/showthread.php?tid=91575)

about editing scripts by sourcer on 07-20-2009 at 11:24 AM

dear scripters, I'm a newb when it comes to Messenger Plus, I wonder if it is possible for me to edit scripts that are downloaded from the site?
if yes, please tell me how...

RE: about editing scripts by matty on 07-20-2009 at 12:41 PM

You certainly can. If you click the Plus! Menu on the main contact list window > Preferences > Scripts. From this window you can highlight any script and click Edit.

RE: RE: about editing scripts by ryxdp on 07-20-2009 at 09:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by matty
You certainly can. If you click the Plus! Menu on the main contact list window > Preferences > Scripts. From this window you can highlight any script and click Edit.

With that said, though, you cannot just edit a skin in a small way and re-release it as your own. You should always give credit for others' code you have used or get permission to use it.
RE: RE: about editing scripts by sourcer on 07-21-2009 at 05:46 AM

quote:
Originally posted by matty

what if I want to give it out to someone else?  like...  I've got the script, and I want to publish it out.... should I download some kind of a jscript editor?  if yes, what file should I save it in to make it an msn plus file?
RE: RE: RE: about editing scripts by ryxdp on 07-21-2009 at 06:00 AM

quote:
Originally posted by sourcer
what if I want to give it out to someone else?  like...  I've got the script, and I want to publish it out.... should I download some kind of a jscript editor?  if yes, what file should I save it in to make it an Messenger Plus file?

Generally people package their scripts by compressing them into a .zip file and then renaming the extension to .plsc. The same is done with Plus! Skin packages except the .plsk extension is used instead.

Messenger Plus's inbuilt script editor should suffice for your scripting developments, but a lot of people use external editors such as Notepad++, and some of the more experienced developers may simply use Notepad :P.
RE: RE: RE: RE: about editing scripts by CookieRevised on 07-21-2009 at 03:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ryxdp
quote:
Originally posted by sourcer
what if I want to give it out to someone else?  like...  I've got the script, and I want to publish it out.... should I download some kind of a jscript editor?  if yes, what file should I save it in to make it an Messenger Plus file?
Generally people package their scripts by compressing them into a .zip file and then renaming the extension to .plsc. The same is done with Plus! Skin packages except the .plsk extension is used instead.
That will not make it into a proper valid script/skin package though.

sourcer, I suggest you read the Scripting documentation to know how to make a valid script package (and to learn other important stuff).

The scripting documentation can be opened from the inbuild script editor's File menu.

In the scripting documentation go to Contents > Working with Scripts > Packaging your script.

--

In all cases, remember to always ask the original creator of the script/skin if it is ok to re-publish it and you should always give credits.
RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: about editing scripts by ryxdp on 07-21-2009 at 10:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

Assuming the guy knows how to make a ScriptInfo file properly, it will :P
RE: about editing scripts by CookieRevised on 07-21-2009 at 11:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ryxdp
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

Assuming the guy knows how to make a ScriptInfo file properly, it will :P
Yes, but seeing his questions here you could also safely assume he doesn't know. ;)