Shoutbox

To the people from the UK - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: To the people from the UK (/showthread.php?tid=91580)

To the people from the UK by Rolando on 07-20-2009 at 11:06 PM

What's there to do in London? Like, famous sites and such that tourists visit :P I'm gonna be there for like 3 days.

RE: To the people from the UK by gif83 on 07-20-2009 at 11:19 PM

Plus! 2009 London Thread - List of things to do

RE: To the people from the UK by prashker on 07-20-2009 at 11:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by gif83
Strip Club (we have to bring Patchou somewhere interesting right?)
(y)
RE: To the people from the UK by Chrono on 07-21-2009 at 02:02 AM

i was there for a couple of days too, you cant miss the big ben, westminster, kingham palace, tower of london, st pauls cathedral, etc etc :P

My advice would be to plan your trip with time. i asked people what places i couldnt miss and i also did a google search, then made a map with my route on google maps (yeah, i know it sounds silly but it will save you a lot of time, specially useful if you're gonna be there for just 3 days).

Oh and get the oyster card for the subway. It will save you A LOT of money (just ask about it when you get there, you can buy them in pretty much every major subway station). A single ticket costs like 5 pounds (yeah, stupidly high prize), while with the card you'll pay like 1, and it works for buses too.

RE: To the people from the UK by djdannyp on 07-21-2009 at 05:52 AM

There's also a load of museums (if that's your thing) like the natural history museum, science museum, victoria and albert museum, imperial war museum, national maritime museum

or if you're into football you could see about a tour around wembley/emirates/white hart lane/stamford bridge.....but even if you don't go for a tour i suggest at least going to wembley park underground station to see the stadium.....it really is a sight to behold

RE: To the people from the UK by Chrono on 07-21-2009 at 09:27 AM

quote:
Originally posted by nimicitor
Also be aware you haven’t experienced expensive until you have been to London, a lot of places are free but when you have to buy something your wallet will cry!
Not quite. The pound has suffered a lot from the crisis and nowadays (i think) it's cheaper than other european countries. Sure, it's probably more expensive than the states (where i think rolando is living atm), but i found it was way cheaper than Madrid or Paris, for instance (again, thanks to the devaluation of the pound, at least against my country's currency :P).

Museums and paid entertainment in general was WAY more expensive than every other place i visited, though (15 pounds for a museum? 20 for riding the london eye? grrrr ¬_¬). So another suggestion for rolando would be to check prizes and visit the places he can afford. There are quite a lot of free places he can visit too anyway.
RE: To the people from the UK by Chrono on 07-21-2009 at 10:23 AM

british museum is not free :P And it's one of the best imo. Appart from museums, westminster was about 8 punds and the tower of london was 15 as well iirc.

RE: To the people from the UK by Rolando on 07-21-2009 at 10:30 AM

Most stuff was free in Paris if you were a citizen of a country from the European Union and under 26, so yeah. Hopefully it's the same in London.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll make a list and decide what I want to go to 8-|

RE: To the people from the UK by gif83 on 07-21-2009 at 10:32 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chrono
british museum is not free :P And it's one of the best imo. Appart from museums, westminster was about 8 punds and the tower of london was 15 as well iirc.

Entry to many of the museums including the British Museum is free. You only need to pay for the temporary exhibits.