Shoutbox

[Sugg.] Contact Notes - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: [Sugg.] Contact Notes (/showthread.php?tid=91670)

[Sugg.] Contact Notes by flogy on 07-27-2009 at 12:15 PM

Hello everyone

I just had a good idea to realise in Messenger Plus!
It would be useful to write Notes to each Contact (like their real name or something). The benefit is you will no longer forget who the person with the address skater_girl_90_sexy_lady_star_blablabla@hotmail.com is :D

Thanks!

RE: [Sugg.] Contact Notes by Spunky on 07-27-2009 at 12:25 PM

This can be done via scripting and if I remember correctly, I started work on something like this in the past. I may have to restart it :p

RE: [Sugg.] Contact Notes by toddy on 07-27-2009 at 12:27 PM

you can already do it with messenger.

right click on the contact > edit contact > Notes (bottom option, left hand side)

RE: RE: [Sugg.] Contact Notes by flogy on 07-27-2009 at 12:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Spunky
I started work on something like this in the past. I may have to restart it :p
Yeah! This would be very nice :)
Please post the name of the script here if you've finished! Thanks a lot (can't wait) :D
RE: [Sugg.] Contact Notes by blessedguy on 07-27-2009 at 12:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by todd toddington

right click on the contact > edit contact > Notes (bottom option, left hand side)
No script needed =)

RE: [Sugg.] Contact Notes by Spunky on 07-27-2009 at 12:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blessedguy
quote:

No script needed =)

Yeah, but it's not the best way =/ If I remember rightly it's a bit crap tbf. Plus I have other ideas :p
RE: RE: [Sugg.] Contact Notes by flogy on 07-27-2009 at 12:54 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:

No script needed =)

Yeah, but it's not the best way =/ If I remember rightly it's a bit crap tbf. Plus I have other ideas :p
Exactly. It's too complex...
It would be easier if you only have to right click and then go to "View/Edit Notes". It might be a simple shortcut to this!
RE: [Sugg.] Contact Notes by toddy on 07-27-2009 at 12:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by flogy
quote:
quote:
quote:

No script needed =)

It would be easier if you only have to right click and then go to "View/Edit Notes". It might be a simple shortcut to this!
1 extra click is too complex ?
RE: RE: [Sugg.] Contact Notes by flogy on 07-27-2009 at 01:14 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by flogy
quote:
quote:
quote:

No script needed =)

1 extra click is too complex ?
Yes.

Okay, it's not complex, but unconfortable. It should be an easy, short way. Just a little suggestion, but it would be helpful for many users.
RE: [Sugg.] Contact Notes by CookieRevised on 07-28-2009 at 06:01 PM

I don't see how it would be more comfortable than how it already is...

As a matter of fact, if this was added again to Messenger Plus! then you would also either need to click 3 times or you would either need to navigate thru the menu/sub-menus. This because the 'Edit notes' menu item would be a sub-item of 'Messenger Plus! Features' menu item.

As said, simple right click the contact, click 'Edit Contact', and click on 'Notes'.
Or learn to use the shortcut keys: right click the contact, press <E>, press <Alt><N> (for the English version)
Can't be more easier than that.
I use it all the time...

RE: [Sugg.] Contact Notes by Spunky on 07-28-2009 at 06:25 PM

The reason I said I might do this is because there are other features which could improve it such as text shortcuts replaced with actual information...

quote:
So what's the weather like in %country?

quote:
Isn't it past your bed time it's %local_time

(Just 2 examples)

Also, you could use a command to open the window allowing quicker access than any menus and meaning you don't have to use the mouse at all (especially if the window can show you all the information collated so far and then just fade away after a few seconds if you haven't entered any new data. You could type something like "/info", look at their real name.. and carry on with a message)

I'm not going to go as far as to suggest an automatic saving of information feature as that might go just a bit too far, but I do think this could make contact notes more accessible. I personally don't use the WLM ones and often forget that they are there tucked away in some obscure right-click menu that I have to say, I never use either :p