Shoutbox

Audio/MP3 player software? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Audio/MP3 player software? (/showthread.php?tid=91869)

Audio/MP3 player software? by Menthix on 08-14-2009 at 12:25 PM

I have been using Winamp ever since I played my first MP3. All that time I never really looked at other players. Now that I am running a fresh Windows 7 installation, why not take a look if there's something I like better.

I tried Songbird, which in theory is great:
* Open source
* Nice add-ons
* Good library features
* Last.fm integration
* Smart playlists
...But after importing around 35000 songs to the library is becomes quite slow for various actions and consumes a lot of RAM. By default it doesn't show a regular playlist like Winamp does either. There is an add-on for a regular playlist, but that one is buggy. Too bad because I would really like this player if it was stable and lower on resources, hope they keep improving it.

Which audio player do you use/recommend?

RE: Audio/MP3 player software? by foaly on 08-14-2009 at 01:01 PM

I'm using billy from sheepfriends.com, the only downside it that she seems to stop developing it :(

RE: Audio/MP3 player software? by Th3rmal on 08-14-2009 at 01:02 PM

I use WMP simply because it very well with win7 and I love the layout. On my last computer, I used winamp (because WMP would keep on taking up 2gb of ram), but i never liked winamps layout.

RE: Audio/MP3 player software? by djdannyp on 08-14-2009 at 04:56 PM

iTunes for me, I used to use Winamp but a while after I got my first iPod I switched to iTunes because Winamp wasn't playing nicely with it...and I've never looked back.

RE: Audio/MP3 player software? by Chancer on 08-14-2009 at 05:38 PM

I tried Songbird once, but it damaged most of my tags (I don't know why or how, but it did).

I use iTunes, mostly because of my iPod, and due to high-res covers provided by iTunes Store.

RE: Audio/MP3 player software? by gif83 on 08-14-2009 at 05:55 PM

Mediamonkey

me loves the monkey.

What are you looking for in an audio player?
I choose Mediamonkey for it's awesome music management. Also doesn't mess up for me on syncs.
I struggle to use anything else now as I'm hooked on its functionality.

RE: Audio/MP3 player software? by blessedguy on 08-14-2009 at 05:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chancer
I use iTunes, mostly because of my iPod, and due to high-res covers provided by iTunes Store.
Same, though I only bought the iPod because of iTunes =P

Used to use WMP, but it kept changing my songs names (I couldn't import Vangelis without it renaming it to Papa Roach). So a friend of mine showed his iTunes on his Mac, and I installed it on Windows later,
quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp
and I've never looked back.

Has great playlist management, Genius works gorgeously, you can use the Remote iPhone app to control media playback too, it stores each playlist preferences separatedly, so if I like coverflow in a small playlist it will be only there untill I change it, downloads (the correct) album artwork automatically, has a nice format conversor (it will convert your songs to the same one you choose to use as default for CD imports, the default is 256kbps AAC), and there's a long list =P

The bad part is that its becoming slow with time, becoming kind of bloated, and has basically no skins.
Update: forgot that one :chrongue:

quote:
Originally posted by Menthix
If it didn't force Quicktime

RE: Audio/MP3 player software? by Menthix on 08-14-2009 at 06:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blessedguy
Has great playlist management, Genius works gorgeously, you can use the Remote iPhone app to control media playback too, it stores each playlist preferences separatedly, so if I like coverflow in a small playlist it will be only there untill I change it, downloads (the correct) album artwork automatically, has a nice format conversor (it will convert your songs to the same one you choose to use as default for CD imports, the default is 256kbps AAC), and there's a long list =P
If it didn't force Quicktime and wasn't made by Apple (aka opened up more) I probably would have switched :(.
RE: Audio/MP3 player software? by MeEtc on 08-14-2009 at 06:46 PM

I use Winamp in docked/windowshade mode with the modern skin, it stays docked to the top of my secondary monitor. Only downside, it seems to crash whenever its running for a long time (3+ h)

RE: Audio/MP3 player software? by stoshrocket on 08-14-2009 at 07:25 PM

I used both iTunes and Windows Media Player, but for specific reasons that iTunes organises my library and plays nice with my iPod, and Windows Media Player just keeps it's library updated from the iTunes music folder to allow my xbox 360 to easily read my music library when I'm piggybacking to xbox live...

RE: Audio/MP3 player software? by Chancer on 08-14-2009 at 07:55 PM

quote:
If it didn't force Quicktime and wasn't made by Apple (aka opened up more) I probably would have switched :(
QuickTime is still sort of usefull to watch .mov files if you don't have any other video player. The problem is that crappy and totally useless Bonjour Service. What the hell is that for?
RE: Audio/MP3 player software? by blessedguy on 08-14-2009 at 08:28 PM

quote:
What the hell is that for?
When you have an internal network, all PCs/Macs with Bonjour kind of Sync all your bookmarks and other supported features.
For example, when mom's iTunes is turned on, I can see her playlist from here, while I can use my Safari bookmarks in another PC if this one is online.
RE: Audio/MP3 player software? by Menthix on 08-14-2009 at 11:51 PM

quote:
QuickTime is still sort of usefull to watch .mov files if you don't have any other video player.
If you don't use QuickTime you already have another video player though (unless you never watch video). VLC plays everything you throw at it out of the box :bow:.

quote:
The problem is that crappy and totally useless Bonjour Service.
Ah yeah, and that. Sure it might be useful for some people, but at least give people a choice.

RE: Audio/MP3 player software? by Adeptus on 08-15-2009 at 12:41 AM

For the last two years I have been using VLC.  Before that it was Winamp, but I'd have VLC anyway for video and found that it works just fine for music too.

RE: Audio/MP3 player software? by Chancer on 08-15-2009 at 02:43 AM

quote:
VLC plays everything you throw at it out of the box :bow:.
Agreed. Much better then installing those crappy codec packs.
RE: Audio/MP3 player software? by Vilkku on 08-15-2009 at 05:57 AM

Couldn't live without Spotify any more.

RE: Audio/MP3 player software? by djdannyp on 08-15-2009 at 09:57 AM

quote:
quote:
VLC plays everything you throw at it out of the box :bow:.
Agreed. Much better then installing those crappy codec packs.

Yeah, I use that for videos in the event that WMP + DivX fails or for anything that I've got subtitles for (especially when I'm at work!)
RE: Audio/MP3 player software? by vaccination on 08-15-2009 at 10:32 AM

VLC for videos, winamp [with CAD skin to make it nice and prettiful] for music.

RE: Audio/MP3 player software? by ShawnZ on 08-15-2009 at 10:37 AM

quote:
or for anything that I've got subtitles for

directvobsub :p
RE: RE: Audio/MP3 player software? by djdannyp on 08-15-2009 at 11:25 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
quote:
or for anything that I've got subtitles for

directvobsub :p

extra download though :P

don't need to be messing around with extra downloads with VLC does it all anyway (and is needed for some videos that WMP can't play)
RE: Audio/MP3 player software? by ShawnZ on 08-15-2009 at 11:58 AM

quote:
(and is needed for some videos that WMP can't play)

yes, but if you had a codec pack (and they usually include directvobsub) then you could do all of this from one app :p
RE: Audio/MP3 player software? by djdannyp on 08-15-2009 at 02:36 PM

quote:
quote:

yes, but if you had a codec pack (and they usually include directvobsub) then you could do all of this from one app :p

but vlc avoids the needs for any codec packs......none of them are complete.....so VLC is the best option
RE: Audio/MP3 player software? by blessedguy on 08-15-2009 at 04:55 PM

quote:
Ah yeah, and that. Sure it might be useful for some people, but at least give people a choice.
I was sure it has a choice at the setup '-'

Still I will try VLC at some point, for now QuickTime is able to handle my (barely inexistent) need for videos, but I confess it takes way too long to load. Just haven't tried VLC yet to avoid installing another program.
RE: Audio/MP3 player software? by djdannyp on 08-15-2009 at 07:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blessedguy
Still I will try VLC at some point, for now QuickTime is able to handle my (barely inexistent) need for videos, but I confess it takes way too long to load. Just haven't tried VLC yet to avoid installing another program.

Definitely worth trying VLC...asap!!   QuickTime is one of the worst media players..soooooooo slow.  Once you try VLC you'll never go back to QuickTime!
RE: Audio/MP3 player software? by stephenmorphey on 09-01-2009 at 07:48 AM

Hello everybody

I am using Windows Media Player from longtime. It is my favorite media player.

I must say that the latest iteration of Windows Media Player adds a lot of useful bells and whistles, succeeding in many ways as a competitor to iTunes for Windows. A tree-style file directory makes it easy to find the music you want quickly, and a simple search box gets you where you want to go immediately.

RE: Audio/MP3 player software? by Th3rmal on 09-01-2009 at 08:05 AM

quote:
Originally posted by stephenmorphey
and a simple search box gets you where you want to go immediately.
like every single popular media player has this feature lol, so it doesnt make WMP any better compared to others :P
RE: Audio/MP3 player software? by ShawnZ on 09-01-2009 at 03:11 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:

but vlc avoids the needs for any codec packs......none of them are complete.....so VLC is the best option

i'd argue that klite and cccp are both pretty fucking complete :p

hell, even ffdshow on its own is pretty complete, but it doesn't include any splitters AFAIK.
RE: Audio/MP3 player software? by djdannyp on 09-01-2009 at 05:55 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

i'd argue that klite and cccp are both pretty fucking complete :p

hell, even ffdshow on its own is pretty complete, but it doesn't include any splitters AFAIK.

haha, exactly...."pretty" complete....not totally complete.  i'm yet to find something that VLC won't play.....which is why it's better than having codec packs.  besides, those packs get messy cos they install a million different things.......vlc is just one thing :P

I used to deal with those codec packs before I found VLC and realise how easy it can be.

WMP as a primary, VLC as backup......I've never needed anything else ;)
RE: Audio/MP3 player software? by iKingsten on 09-03-2009 at 12:36 PM

if you wanna watch videos --> vlc is the best :)
I'm using WMP for music, but I'm not really happy with it's design and look.. I like songbird's design way more, but I don't know if it works good..
I don't like winamp and I don't wanna download iTunes, so I think I'll be looking at Songbird soon! :)

edit: so I was looking at the system requirements for songbird and it's much more than WMP.. could it slow down my computer?

RE: Audio/MP3 player software? by Menthix on 09-03-2009 at 02:30 PM

quote:
...But after importing around 35000 songs to the library is becomes quite slow for various actions and consumes a lot of RAM. By default it doesn't show a regular playlist like Winamp does either. There is an add-on for a regular playlist, but that one is buggy. Too bad because I would really like this player if it was stable and lower on resources, hope they keep improving it.
Update: I tried foobar2000, which is nice too, but gave Songbird another try too. Stuck with Songbird. Songbird is a bit slow starting up, but otherwise it's fast enough to not bother me in normal usage. Having the playlist and library migrated (like iTunes) is something I need to get used to, but it works.
It does consume a lot of RAM, but hey, I have 8GB which I never fill up 100% anyway.

quote:
Originally posted by iKingsten
I was looking at the system requirements for songbird and it's much more than WMP.. could it slow down my computer?
Besides my main system I also installed Songbird on a atom based netbook (and 2GB RAM), it works fine. Just give it a try, you can always go back, you don't even need to uninstall WMP.
RE: RE: Audio/MP3 player software? by iKingsten on 09-03-2009 at 02:37 PM

quote:
quote:
I was looking at the system requirements for songbird and it's much more than WMP.. could it slow down my computer?
Besides my main system I also installed Songbird on a atom based netbook (and 2GB RAM), it works fine. Just give it a try, you can always go back, you don't even need to uninstall WMP.
Well, the thing is that I only have 1 GB of RAM and I really don't understand a thing about it. I don't even know how much RAM space i got free and how much I'm already using :S
RE: Audio/MP3 player software? by gif83 on 09-03-2009 at 02:38 PM

Did you manage to give MediaMonkey a try? It's great for large music libraries and there's a Songbird or even iTunes skin if that's what you are used to.

With MediaMonkey, you get to dictate how it deals with your playlists and library.

RE: Audio/MP3 player software? by Menthix on 09-03-2009 at 02:55 PM

quote:
Well, the thing is that I only have 1 GB of RAM and I really don't understand a thing about it. I don't even know how much RAM space i got free and how much I'm already using :S
Don't worry about it, just give it a try. If it's slow on your system you can always go back to WMP or try something else.

quote:
Originally posted by gif83
Did you manage to give MediaMonkey a try?
No. Maybe next time :).
RE: RE: Audio/MP3 player software? by iKingsten on 09-03-2009 at 03:00 PM

quote:
quote:
Don't worry about it, just give it a try. If it's slow on your system you can always go back to WMP or try something else.
Ok, thank you :)
btw, if there an option to see how much RAM space you still got free?
RE: Audio/MP3 player software? by Menthix on 09-03-2009 at 03:46 PM

quote:
if there an option to see how much RAM space you still got free?
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del -> Select Start Task Manager -> Click on the Performance tab. That will give you some stats about the memory on your system.
RE: Audio/MP3 player software? by Voldemort on 09-07-2009 at 02:45 AM

i used to use media monkey back in the day, and it was pretty good

RE: RE: Audio/MP3 player software? by Menthix on 11-07-2010 at 06:01 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by gif83
Did you manage to give MediaMonkey a try?
No. Maybe next time :).
Should have tried that earlier. Just switched to Media Monkey today, big improvement over Songbird. Very fast with a large library. Only read this thread back just now after the switch :).
RE: Audio/MP3 player software? by Spunky on 11-07-2010 at 09:11 PM

Had media monkey fort about a month now. I do really like it. Tried songbird in the past and it is WAY too slow and doesn't feel like a media player. VLC is fantastic for video, but I don't like to use it for video

RE: Audio/MP3 player software? by nimicitor on 11-27-2010 at 11:35 PM

I have always found Winamp to do everything I need.
The only bad point is it's a little slow to load but hopefully working on that in the next release.

RE: Audio/MP3 player software? by Menthix on 11-28-2010 at 12:23 AM

quote:
Originally posted by nimicitor
The only bad point is it's a little slow to load but hopefully working on that in the next release.
Pretty amazed at MediaMonkey's speed (~37000 files library). It seems to support Winamp plugins too, haven't played with that yet though.
RE: Audio/MP3 player software? by Hank on 11-28-2010 at 10:30 AM

quote:
I have always found Winamp to do everything I need.
winamps a bit like me, just gets better with age, or was that slower :p
RE: RE: Audio/MP3 player software? by nimicitor on 11-28-2010 at 01:03 PM

quote:
quote:
Pretty amazed at MediaMonkey's speed (~37000 files library). It seems to support Winamp plugins too, haven't played with that yet though.

It is pretty quick, but I find it it has too many options and takes forever to configure.
RE: Audio/MP3 player software? by thevampire2604 on 01-04-2011 at 07:19 PM

Spotify for me. Definitely Spotify. All of it is good. Get it today! I'll hate you if you not... :@
Stream music play local files share music much more download today

RE: RE: Audio/MP3 player software? by nimicitor on 01-17-2011 at 07:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by thevampire2604
Spotify for me. Definitely Spotify. All of it is good. Get it today! I'll hate you if you not... :@
Stream music play local files share music much more download today

But what if you don't have an internet connection?
Plus it's not available in all counties, Spotify gets a big (N).