Shoutbox

New Phone Suggestions - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: New Phone Suggestions (/showthread.php?tid=91928)

New Phone Suggestions by Eddie on 08-20-2009 at 01:51 PM

Hey folks,

Your all pretty good at this so thought I would ask for some suggestions, I am looking for a new mobile phone that is to go onto a 24 month plan. I currently have a Nokia N95and would like a new phone, but I'm not sure which one to get, I would like atleast 4 megapixel camera, and some internal memory, so suggest away, remembering the phone has to be pretty good because I need it for 18 months or so.

I use it for occasional browsing, all the usual phone things such as messages, calling etc, and of course camera and filming..

And preferable not a "brick" phone, slide or touch preferable, thanks! :)

EDIT: Recieved my iPhone today, brilliant phone, love all the funny apps on it, i essentially also now have 3 iPods so if anyone wants to score one of them? :P

SonicSam, I will get to you about the N95 soon...

RE: New Phone Suggestions by albert on 08-20-2009 at 02:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Eddie
Hey folks,

Your all pretty good at this so thought I would ask for some suggestions, I am looking for a new mobile phone that is to go onto a 24 month plan. I currently have a Nokia N95and would like a new phone, but I'm not sure which one to get, I would like atleast 4 megapixel camera, and some internal memory, so suggest away, remembering the phone has to be pretty good because I need it for 18 months or so.

And preferable not a "brick" phone, slide or touch preferable, thanks! :)

It really depends what you use it for, do you use data (e-mail, calendar synchronization, etc.)?

I'm loving the android platform, so I'd suggest you the HTC HERO which is pretty amazing honestly. The HTC Magic, also running on android is pretty great.
RE: New Phone Suggestions by Eddie on 08-20-2009 at 02:11 PM

I use it for occasional browsing, all the usual phone things such as messages, calling etc, and of course camera and filming..

RE: New Phone Suggestions by toddy on 08-20-2009 at 05:36 PM

iphone :rolleyes:

RE: New Phone Suggestions by Eddie on 08-20-2009 at 06:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by todd toddington
iphone :rolleyes:
been seriously considering it, if i can find a 3 store stocking the 16GB 3GS.
RE: New Phone Suggestions by prashker on 08-20-2009 at 07:23 PM

HTC Diamond2, and on that note, please be sure to mail me your N95 :p

RE: New Phone Suggestions by Curtis on 08-20-2009 at 07:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam

RE: New Phone Suggestions by haydos on 08-20-2009 at 08:11 PM

iPhone has to be the go, if you can actually manage to find one in Perth... they seem to run out of stock everywhere. It has everything you need and it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling that you are one of the cool kids... There's tons of 24 month plans around for them too.

RE: New Phone Suggestions by ShawnZ on 08-20-2009 at 08:30 PM

quote:

i believe you mean HTC Pro2 :(
RE: New Phone Suggestions by RaPLeX on 08-20-2009 at 08:31 PM

Iphone ..

RE: New Phone Suggestions by ShawnZ on 08-20-2009 at 08:34 PM

disclaimer: although me, curtis, sam, and alby are disagreeing about which HTC to get, i'm sure we can all agree that *any* HTC is better than an iPhone.

RE: New Phone Suggestions by Th3rmal on 08-20-2009 at 09:40 PM

iPhone.

Unless you want the hassle of a winmo. Dont get me wrong, I love winmo, especially HTC's, but one thing that would sell a phone to me is the screen quality and output of colours, multi touch screen, big app base (winmo has this, but not all apps work on different phones since all different phones have differend specs) and it being able to use.

Only bad things about iPhone are that everyone has the same basic interface (winmo has so many you can choose from), the camera is abit shitty, and the bluetooth.

RE: New Phone Suggestions by albert on 08-20-2009 at 09:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
i'm sure we can all agree that *any* HTC is better than an iPhone.

I don't know. The thing is I love the android o.s.. Probably because I use the google calendar, email, tasks, and contacts and that the synchronization is amazing.

My sister has an iphone and it is a solid piece of hardware.. I just.. don't like it as much..

edit :

by the way, as far as htc touch pro2 goes, if has anything to do like the touch pro, I wouldn't recommend it. The hardware is really fragile (we have them at my company, we already have 7 of them broken in less than 6 months).  Plus, try and wait for Windows Mobile 6.5 or 7.
RE: New Phone Suggestions by ShawnZ on 08-20-2009 at 10:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by albert
Plus, try and wait for Windows Mobile 6.5

the pro2 is going to have a ROM update when 6.5 comes out, that you'll be able to install for free :p
RE: New Phone Suggestions by albert on 08-20-2009 at 10:19 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by albert
Plus, try and wait for Windows Mobile 6.5

the pro2 is going to have a ROM update when 6.5 comes out, that you'll be able to install for free :p

Cool!
RE: New Phone Suggestions by MeEtc on 08-21-2009 at 12:33 AM

I've heard some good things about the omina

RE: New Phone Suggestions by albert on 08-21-2009 at 12:35 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MeEtc

My friend had it. Very stylish, very sturdy.
And there's an Android version if I recall correctly. :)
it's not an Omnia, but it seems pretty similar : http://www.engadget.com/2009/04/27/samsung-i7500-...by-android-dreams/
RE: New Phone Suggestions by Hank on 08-21-2009 at 12:53 AM

quote:
why not have a look at Optus for a 16GB IPhone?
RE: New Phone Suggestions by Th3rmal on 08-21-2009 at 10:01 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MeEtc
I have the Omnia, but the new OmniaII and Omnia Pro are much better than better than the Omnia. Although Omnia is really good, as long as you have some patience making it just right for your own needs. Especially since new roms are being created for it very consistently, you cant really go wrong with it.
RE: New Phone Suggestions by Kenji on 08-21-2009 at 10:44 AM

Sony X1 or X2.

Don't listen to anyone who suggests to get an iphone, they are idiots.

RE: New Phone Suggestions by foaly on 08-21-2009 at 11:02 AM

quote:
disclaimer: although me, curtis, sam, and alby are disagreeing about which HTC to get, i'm sure we can all agree that *any* HTC is better than an iPhone.
Well as long as it is newer then the very first htc touch mda... yes, we do...
RE: New Phone Suggestions by djdannyp on 08-21-2009 at 11:22 AM

Sorry to hijack a thread, but I'm kinda after a new phone to replace my Nokia 6300 and I've looked at some that are WAY out of my pricerange (N97 for instance)...but I've just been on the phone with Carphone Warehouse (the guy who did my contract in fact!) and amongst others they've recommended me the Nokia 5530 and I was wondering people's thoughts on it and/or alternatives in a similar price range?  I can get it for £139 unlocked from CW (maybe cheaper on eBay, or elsewhere, but that's the max)

RE: New Phone Suggestions by Menthix on 08-21-2009 at 11:34 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Kenji
Sony X1 or X2.

I have an X1, and although it's a great phone, at this point I wouldn't suggest getting a Windows Mobile based phone.

The X1's hardware is great, but Windows Mobile is a dying OS which was originally intended for old PDAs, and it still feels like that, meaning a lot of the UI was just meant to be used with a stylus. You can get all kinds of fancy shells which make it more bearable, but there's only so much you can cover up with a 3rd party shell. And UI can still be incredibly slow. Besides that applications being developed for it isn't anything like for Android or iPhone.
There is a new Windows Mobile version coming up which attempts to get rid of the PDA feel, but I doubt if they'll succeed. And most likely you wouldn't be able to upgrade your Windows Mobile phone to a newer version of the OS.

My contract doesn't end for a while, but I think my new phone would be an Android.
RE: New Phone Suggestions by Th3rmal on 08-21-2009 at 01:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Menthix
quote:
Originally posted by Kenji
Sony X1 or X2.

I have an X1, and although it's a great phone, at this point I wouldn't suggest getting a Windows Mobile based phone.

The X1's hardware is great, but Windows Mobile is a dying OS which was originally intended for old PDAs, and it still feels like that, meaning a lot of the UI was just meant to be used with a stylus. You can get all kinds of fancy shells which make it more bearable, but there's only so much you can cover up with a 3rd party shell. And UI can still be incredibly slow. Besides that applications being developed for it isn't anything like for Android or iPhone.
There is a new Windows Mobile version coming up which attempts to get rid of the PDA feel, but I doubt if they'll succeed. And most likely you wouldn't be able to upgrade your Windows Mobile phone to a newer version of the OS.

My contract doesn't end for a while, but I think my new phone would be an Android.
Exactly what I was trying to get across. :) Winmo phones are too much hassle, so unless youd like to spend time  making it into what you like, id get something else.
RE: RE: New Phone Suggestions by Eddie on 08-21-2009 at 08:25 PM

quote:
If you wish to pay for the repairs on the phone (works most of the time just has a few issues occasionally), and also the postage to you, you can have it ;)
quote:
Originally posted by ICQ
quote:
why not have a look at Optus for a 16GB IPhone?
Because I am doing it as part of a loyalty upgrade on Three.

Thanks for all the suggestions folks, I am looking into the iPhone, however a lot of Three Shops are out of stock at the moment, I also looked at the N96 but wanted something a little different to my N95 and its not much different.
RE: New Phone Suggestions by prashker on 08-21-2009 at 08:41 PM

quote:
If you wish to pay for the repairs on the phone (works most of the time just has a few issues occasionally), and also the postage to you, you can have it
PayPal address please, give me shipping cost to Canada :p
PS: yes I'm serious ;>
RE: New Phone Suggestions by Hank on 08-22-2009 at 02:30 AM

quote:
Because I am doing it as part of a loyalty upgrade on Three.

Thanks for all the suggestions folks, I am looking into the iPhone, however a lot of Three Shops are out of stock at the moment, I also looked at the N96 but wanted something a little different to my N95 and its not much different.
i used to be with Optus for just over 7 years till i changed over to telstra. i think at the end of the day, who has the better network.

RE: New Phone Suggestions by Eddie on 08-22-2009 at 06:22 AM

quote:
quote:
If you wish to pay for the repairs on the phone (works most of the time just has a few issues occasionally), and also the postage to you, you can have it
PayPal address please, give me shipping cost to Canada :p
PS: yes I'm serious ;>
Unfortunately I was banned by PayPal for being underrage, so I need to wait until December until I turn 18 to get it activated again.
RE: New Phone Suggestions by stephenmorphey on 09-01-2009 at 07:42 AM

Hi Eddie

I have BlackBerry Storm 9500. Well the model really very attractive not only for a smart phone,but also in the mobile world.

I have the Storm from two weeks now and I highly recommend it to anyone that wants a high-end business smartphone. It came with the latest firmware update and I have never experienced any lag or slowdown at all!The Internet Blackberry Service is just great on that phone with gorgeous huge display.

Hope this review will help to you.

RE: New Phone Suggestions by Eddie on 09-03-2009 at 07:48 AM

Recieved my iPhone today, brilliant phone, love all the funny apps on it, i essentially also now have 3 iPods so if anyone wants to score one of them? :P

RE: New Phone Suggestions by Hank on 09-03-2009 at 07:55 AM

quote:
Recieved my iPhone today, brilliant phone, love all the funny apps on it, i essentially also now have 3 iPods so if anyone wants to score one of them? :P

iv'e read stories that these new 3G IPhones can blowup in your face so becarefull with it, or can overheat. how much for an Ipod?
RE: New Phone Suggestions by Eddie on 09-03-2009 at 08:22 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ICQ
quote:

iv'e read stories that these new 3G IPhones can blowup in your face so becarefull with it, or can overheat. how much for an Ipod?
Yeah, I heard these stories as well, but I don't really listen to things like that, because I really don't care because the chances are rather low...
I have two iPods I will probably try to "flog", 3rd Generation 4GB and a 4th Generation 8GB. White and Blue Respectively, both used and working.
RE: New Phone Suggestions by prashker on 09-03-2009 at 11:33 AM

quote:
:cheesy: Thanks (l)
RE: New Phone Suggestions by toddy on 09-03-2009 at 04:12 PM

quote:
quote:
:cheesy: Thanks (l)
dam you, knew i should have asked in my first post :p