Shoutbox

Minimise to tray on Win7 (without Vista compatibility mode) - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Minimise to tray on Win7 (without Vista compatibility mode) (/showthread.php?tid=91963)

Minimise to tray on Win7 (without Vista compatibility mode) by twigboy on 08-23-2009 at 11:58 PM

I absolutely hate not being able to tuck messenger 2009 away by closing it off in Windows 7.

I guess I'm suggesting it as a feature on MsgPlusLive because setting compatibility mode is kinda poor.

Is there a way to do this with scripts?

RE: Minimise to tray on Win7 (without Vista compatibility mode) by Spunky on 08-24-2009 at 12:23 AM

You can change the compatibility settings of WLM to those of Windows XP/Vista to achieve this (although some people have reported a few issues with it).

If you search the forums you may be able to find more information on the subject

RE: Minimise to tray on Win7 (without Vista compatibility mode) by twigboy on 08-24-2009 at 12:27 AM

well yeah, as i said i was wondering if there was a way without having to use compatibility mode.

i tried searching the forums but it either gave too many results or none (for the keywords minimise/minimize).

if you remember the title of the topic/subject it'd be great.

RE: Minimise to tray on Win7 (without Vista compatibility mode) by Spunky on 08-24-2009 at 12:37 AM

Okay, so I missed that part of the post as I skimmed it...

Scripting it should be possible as all you'd have to do is recreate the menu and place it in the corner. There is no telling if WLM would receive the "messages" though when an item has been clicked etc.

I think it would be easier as a Messenger Plus feature, but it's all down to time, effort and whether or not the Windows Live Messenger team will decide to reinstate it when too many users complain.

To be honest, I don't see the harm in having one more icon on your taskbar, mine is pinned to it permanently anyway... If it was XP or Vista I could understand as I hat open windows.

The whole point of having the new taskbar in Windows 7 is to reduce clutter and make sure that only programs that run in the background have the need to have a system tray icon. It makes everything more accessible and provides more space.

RE: Minimise to tray on Win7 (without Vista compatibility mode) by twigboy on 08-24-2009 at 01:13 AM

Thats true, but I dont use any of the pinned taskbar services nor grouping, so its quite a hassle.

RE: Minimise to tray on Win7 (without Vista compatibility mode) by segosa on 08-24-2009 at 07:27 AM

... what's wrong with compatibility mode?

RE: Minimise to tray on Win7 (without Vista compatibility mode) by twigboy on 08-24-2009 at 09:01 AM

nothing, its pretty good
but tabbed chat and aero peek is a bit screwed
works fine without compatibility mode

i mean it just un-does all the work thats been put into MPL to make it compatible

RE: Minimise to tray on Win7 (without Vista compatibility mode) by Menthix on 08-24-2009 at 12:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by segosa
what's wrong with compatibility mode?
quote:
Originally posted by Spunky
some people have reported a few issues with it
It can break various Plus! features. Didn't memorize which ones, but seen multiple threads with issues caused by compatibility mode.
EDIT: What twigboy said :).
RE: Minimise to tray on Win7 (without Vista compatibility mode) by Patchou on 08-24-2009 at 07:39 PM

Messenger itself has problems with compatibility mode enabled, this should never be recommended to anybody. I've seen important issues in Messenger, without Plus! running, because of compatibility settings (important delays at sign-in and other things).

I'll see about adding an option to add an icon back to the systray :)

RE: Minimise to tray on Win7 (without Vista compatibility mode) by twigboy on 08-24-2009 at 10:49 PM

woohoo, fingers crossed! :D

RE: Minimise to tray on Win7 (without Vista compatibility mode) by CanadianOriginal on 08-29-2009 at 02:23 AM

I've had no issues while running WLM in compatibility mode. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.