Shoutbox

Live Messenger freezing - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Live Messenger freezing (/showthread.php?tid=92023)

Live Messenger freezing by daedalus on 08-27-2009 at 04:57 PM

Hello, I'm having a problem; Whenever I try to open a new message window for any contact, my messenger locks up for 5-10 seconds.

After few hours of trying to find the solution I found the cause; The text ads at the bottom of the window. Sometimes the opening window doesn't immediately have an ad, then it suddenly freezes and a text ad appears. And otherwise the window opens and freezes immediately and after it loads (now with the ad) it doesn't freeze anymore.

I confirmed this is caused by the ads by installing a certain patch that removes them.

Anyone had this issue? Any suggestions how to fix the freezing caused by ads without resorting to extra patching?

RE: Live Messenger freezing by Spunky on 08-28-2009 at 12:47 PM

Installing a patch would not solve this as the ads are still loaded, just not displayed... A few seconds is not really a problem when it comes to messenger anymore

RE: RE: Live Messenger freezing by daedalus on 08-28-2009 at 02:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Spunky
Installing a patch would not solve this as the ads are still loaded, just not displayed...
I installed A-Patch and the problem only persists if I leave message window ads enabled (the text ones). Apparently something is being done to the issue. Having main window (contact list) ads enabled doesn't cause any problems.

quote:
Originally posted by Spunky
A few seconds is not really a problem when it comes to messenger anymore
True, not by alone but it gets very annoying if you're in a conversation and you get messaged by other people (any new window will cause all messenger windows hang).
RE: Live Messenger freezing by Spunky on 08-28-2009 at 02:24 PM

You may be able to stop WLM connecting the ads server by adding an entry to the HOSTS file... I've never done it though so would have to search around a bit for how to do it...