Shoutbox

How many browsers? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: How many browsers? (/showthread.php?tid=92091)

How many browsers? by iKingsten on 09-02-2009 at 07:50 PM

I wanted to know how many browsers you guys have on your computer and if it could cause damage to my computer if I have Safari, Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer? Could it slow down my computer? Is it risky to have those 3? And should I better uninstall one of them?

RE: How many browsers? by Tochjo on 09-02-2009 at 07:55 PM

There is no problem in having more than one browser installed on your computer. In fact, for web developers it is very common to have a number of browsers installed to see if the websites they develop function properly in the most-used programs.

It won't damage your computer, won't slow it down any more than other programs you might install, is not risky at all and there is no need to uninstall any if you wish to use them all.

RE: How many browsers? by iKingsten on 09-02-2009 at 08:11 PM

thank you very much for the answer! :) you gave me all the information i needed!
best regards,
iKingsten

RE: How many browsers? by Spunky on 09-03-2009 at 01:40 AM

I haved IE8, IE6 Portable (hate IE 6 though ^o)), Safari, Opera 10, Firefox 3 and Chrome/Chromium.

All these work without problems :p

As Tochjo said, we use these all the time when developing sites...

RE: How many browsers? by djdannyp on 09-03-2009 at 07:30 AM

Just IE and Chrome here for me....though as has been said before, I've seen computers withe every browser under the sun and not having any problems because of it

RE: How many browsers? by iKingsten on 09-03-2009 at 10:55 AM

Thank you guys, cause somebody told me not to have more than 2, because it could cause damage to my RAM so I thought of asking here for help ;)

RE: How many browsers? by NanaFreak on 09-03-2009 at 12:17 PM

the only way you could damage your ram is if you were constantly opening and closing them while making your ram be at 100%

the only thing browsers do when they arent being run, is use hard drive space... which should be nothing

[=

RE: How many browsers? by Menthix on 09-03-2009 at 02:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by NanaFreak
the only way you could damage your ram is if you were constantly opening and closing them while making your ram be at 100%
Still wouldn't damage you RAM. Worst case scenario the OS might lockup, but if that would happen you will be fine after rebooting.
RE: How many browsers? by prashker on 09-03-2009 at 07:35 PM

I can confirm that having multiple browsers does in fact NOT damage your computers. From personal experience in NASA's space program, we use over 500 internet browsers all at once and have no issues damaging our CUFIOX HyperMachine.