Shoutbox

sick of WLMs overprotective security. help? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: sick of WLMs overprotective security. help? (/showthread.php?tid=92130)

sick of WLMs overprotective security. help? by goku262002 on 09-06-2009 at 06:25 AM

I need to know if theres a way to disable the annoyance that is wlm's security. it blocks any kind of archive file (except .7z) or any file that it deems "unsafe" and annoys me with letting me know im transfering a file or to download their piece of shit software to even recieve my file its like having a little piece of vista whenever i use messenger. ill let myself determine what i send or recieve is "unsafe".

Surely someone has come up with a solution i know i cant be the only one annoyed by this. thank you.

EDIT: Right forgot, i have windows XP SP2 and im using the current version of messenger.

RE: sick of WLMs overprotective security. help? by djdannyp on 09-06-2009 at 07:37 AM

If you tell WLM to use a virus checker to scan received files then it allows you to receive archives and "unsafe" files

RE: sick of WLMs overprotective security. help? by Mike on 09-06-2009 at 07:42 AM

Tools -> Options -> File Transfer -> Scan files for viruses using -> net

If you don't want a black window appearing when you receive files, then download dud and replace net with the location of dud.exe

:)

But really, the worst thing is that they block URLs that contain download.php :S

RE: RE: sick of WLMs overprotective security. help? by goku262002 on 09-08-2009 at 02:38 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Mike

If you don't want a black window appearing when you receive files, then download dud and replace net with the location of dud.exe

:)

But really, the worst thing is that they block URLs that contain download.php :S

So theres NOTHING to get around this? no plug-in, add-on, script, or modification to disable this annoying thing?

I cant honesty buy that. there must be something to get around this other then the "use a false program to fool messenger" method.

quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp
If you tell WLM to use a virus checker to scan received files then it allows you to receive archives and "unsafe" files

Screw that. i dont want to install their worthless program thats the point.
RE: sick of WLMs overprotective security. help? by vaccination on 09-08-2009 at 07:04 AM

quote:
Originally posted by goku262002

Screw that. i dont want to install their worthless program thats the point.
You don't have to, you can use any program you want.
RE: sick of WLMs overprotective security. help? by ShawnZ on 09-08-2009 at 07:40 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Mike

i'd recommend using "help" instead (this is what i use) since it doesn't take any parameters and does nothing useful.