Shoutbox

[suggestion] Script/skin version checking at installation - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: [suggestion] Script/skin version checking at installation (/showthread.php?tid=92154)

[suggestion] Script/skin version checking at installation by SmokingCookie on 09-08-2009 at 03:58 PM

Hi,

As not everyone knows all scripts they have installed, and certainly not the versions, wouldn't it be a good suggestion to warn when an older version of a script (and/or skin) is about to be installed over a more recent one?

RE: [suggestion] Script/skin version checking at installation by matty on 09-10-2009 at 06:45 PM

That would only be useful if both scripts used the <Version> and <Build> tags... because they don't its not likely a good idea.

RE: [suggestion] Script/skin version checking at installation by SmokingCookie on 09-10-2009 at 06:50 PM

Well, I suppose that's up to the script developer, and his/her intention to make the script or skin more user-friendly.

If those tags aren't used, mightn't there be some warning like "This script is already installed, but no version numbers were specified"?

RE: [suggestion] Script/skin version checking at installation by andrey on 09-10-2009 at 07:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SmokingCookie
If those tags aren't used, mightn't there be some warning like "This script is already installed, but no version numbers were specified"?
"I just tried to install a script, but it said something like 'no version number', what did I do wrong? Did it install?"
RE: [suggestion] Script/skin version checking at installation by blessedguy on 09-11-2009 at 05:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SmokingCookie
I still prefer a reply from MenthiX saying "Hi! I've been reviewing your script/skin for database availability, but it does not use the Version and Build tags, please fix it" or something like that rather than something that might confuse the user...

Still, like the idea of alerting about a script/skin downgrade.